Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: question mark mine at second water

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2014
    3191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    i've been to the mission site at burns...someone definitely tore it up...i've heard different stories about who tore it up...some say chuck crawford..some say bob garmin..or burbridge
    Burbridge dug it up in '64. Not sure who was the one who ended up bulldozing it.

Jan 2014
    3191 times
    deducer..do you have a copy of his book?
    I unfortunately don't. Been trying to find one but since it was self-published, it's rare as hen's teeth. Greg has a few copies if you want to stop by his library to look at one.

gr
    Oct 2012
    4806 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    Perhaps you are right, Marius. Who knows how many different people worked that particular hole and for how long? I would imagine though that Obie knew what 300ft looked like.
    Jim

I found a post written by Tom Kollenborn in another site, which describes few of many people who visited/worked that spot. And a part of the post says:

" When you visit Garden Valley next time, take time to visit Fish's Treasure Hill site just east of Garden Valley on the right when you drop down into Second Water Canyon. There are a lot of old markings on that hill and also some more modern markings. There are several fine petroglyphs on the rocks along the canyon. Old Frank Fish thought there was a treasure buried under that hill. Old Joe Mays conned a few guys out of some money to help him dig over there for a lost city with a crystal skull. Joe believed there were crystal skulls all over the Superstition Mountains hidden their by the Aztecs, Mayans, Omecs, Totecs, and on and on."

Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewto...#ixzz5jkKVTZnK

So, there were few others before Obie starts his own story. Obie was lying about the 30's time frame, because the gold bars cave's clues were revealed in part after the fall 40's.
    Last edited by markmar; Mar 31, 2019 at 06:11 AM.
    Marius

If your true to your heart,you will never go wrong.The truth is the truth,no matter how you look at it,and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth . It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

us
    Director of Research, Acquisitions, Archives and Library, Superstition Mountain Historical Society,and one of its founders, Member of Arizona First Families, Westerners, Arizona Historical Society, Central Arizona Museum Association and the Dons Club

Oct 2013
    Tempe, Arizona
    eyeball it
    551 times
    Good morning: There is one available on "Boookfinder.com" under the title of : Trail Signs,Symbols, and Maps" for about $25.00. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

us
    Dec 2008
    5116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markmar View Post
    Jim

I found a post written by Tom Kollenborn in another site, which describes few of many people who visited/worked that spot. And a part of the post says:

" When you visit Garden Valley next time, take time to visit Fish's Treasure Hill site just east of Garden Valley on the right when you drop down into Second Water Canyon. There are a lot of old markings on that hill and also some more modern markings. There are several fine petroglyphs on the rocks along the canyon. Old Frank Fish thought there was a treasure buried under that hill. Old Joe Mays conned a few guys out of some money to help him dig over there for a lost city with a crystal skull. Joe believed there were crystal skulls all over the Superstition Mountains hidden their by the Aztecs, Mayans, Omecs, Totecs, and on and on."

Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewto...#ixzz5jkKVTZnK

So, there were few others before Obie starts his own story. Obie was lying about the 30's time frame, because the gold bars cave's clues were revealed in part after the fall 40's.
    marius...i'm just relating to you the story i got from warren...i have talked to joe about his uncle years ago ...joe said obie had problems...but according to warren ..obie was a great guy...i'm not here to bash or praise obie,,,i never met the man...but its not civil to call a dead man a liar..he isn't here to defend himself...i understand if you don't agree with obie but no need to beat up on him....i will tell you one thing though...the dowser they hired from kansas described the cavern exactly as obie said it was..and i mean EXACTLY..the guys never told the dowser anything..they just took him to the hill and told him to get busy dowsing and report what he found ..those are the facts...do what you will with them

gr
    Oct 2012
    4806 times
    marius...i'm just relating to you the story i got from warren...i have talked to joe about his uncle years ago ...joe said obie had problems...but according to warren ..obie was a great guy...i'm not here to bash or praise obie,,,i never met the man...but its not civil to call a dead man a liar..he isn't here to defend himself...i understand if you don't agree with obie but no need to beat up on him....i will tell you one thing though...the dowser they hired from kansas described the cavern exactly as obie said it was..and i mean EXACTLY..the guys never told the dowser anything..they just took him to the hill and told him to get busy dowsing and report what he found ..those are the facts...do what you will with them
    My apologize Dave. Was not my intent to call a dead man liar. Was only my conclusion in this case and maybe I didn't use the proper word. I am sure Obie was a great guy.
    Marius

If your true to your heart,you will never go wrong.The truth is the truth,no matter how you look at it,and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth . It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

us
    Dec 2008
    5116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markmar View Post
    My apologize Dave. Was not my intent to call a dead man liar. Was only my conclusion in this case and maybe I didn't use the proper word. I am sure Obie was a great guy.
    no problem marius..carry on

Jan 2014
    3191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory E. Davis View Post
    Good morning: There is one available on "Boookfinder.com" under the title of : Trail Signs,Symbols, and Maps" for about $25.00. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
    Good afternoon Greg, I did a search just now and it shows no results. Could you search again? Either I made a mistake or someone has purchased it.

us
    Director of Research, Acquisitions, Archives and Library, Superstition Mountain Historical Society,and one of its founders, Member of Arizona First Families, Westerners, Arizona Historical Society, Central Arizona Museum Association and the Dons Club

Oct 2013
    Tempe, Arizona
    eyeball it
    551 times
    Hello: Looks like someone on the forum saw my post and jumped the gun and bought it for themselves before you had a chance to make the purchase. There was only one for sale. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

us
    Dec 2008
    5116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deducer View Post
    Good afternoon Greg, I did a search just now and it shows no results. Could you search again? Either I made a mistake or someone has purchased it.
    deducer...if you are in town ..the apache junction library has a copy of burbridge's book

Jan 2014
    3191 times
    deducer...if you are in town ..the apache junction library has a copy of burbridge's book
    Did you have a chance to read it? I've read it a few times and have copies of a few pictures from it. Wouldn't mind having it in my collection though, for easy reference.

He did find quite a bit of interesting things. Lucky guy got there before most of the signs and markers were destroyed, altered, or faked after the popularity of Storm's Thunder God's Gold took off, and Barkley began his campaign of destroying anything that would lure treasure hunters onto his range.

us
    Dec 2008
    5116 times
    Did you have a chance to read it? I've read it a few times and have copies of a few pictures from it. Wouldn't mind having it in my collection though, for easy reference.

He did find quite a bit of interesting things. Lucky guy got there before most of the signs and markers were destroyed, altered, or faked after the popularity of Storm's Thunder God's Gold took off, and Barkley began his campaign of destroying anything that would lure treasure hunters onto his range.
    i am going to go have a look..you cant check it out but you can read it there

Jan 2014
    3191 times
    i am going to go have a look..you cant check it out but you can read it there
    Here is a picture of Burbridge next to one of the several cacti he found that had what he called "church crosses" deeply cut into the cactus (you can see it on the left). This picture was taken in 1940, and you can tell by the size and girth of the cactus that it's more than 200 years old. He said that the carved cacti started at Carney Springs and led into the Superstitions. He didn't say where exactly they ended up.

All those carved cacti were gone by the 60's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	1702184
    Last edited by deducer; Apr 12, 2019 at 03:51 PM.

us
    Dec 2008
    5116 times
    Here is a picture of Burbridge next to one of the several cacti he found that had what he called "church crosses" deeply cut into the cactus (you can see it on the left). This picture was taken in 1940, and you can tell by the size and girth of the cactus that it's more than 200 years old. He said that the carved cacti started at Carney Springs and led into the Superstitions. He didn't say where exactly they ended up.

All those carved cacti were gone by the 60's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	1702184
    deducer..i went and had a look at burbridge's book..its a great little book...not alot of writing but lots of good pics...and some good history from someone who was around before all the nuts showed up...cool little book

Jan 2014
    3191 times
    deducer..i went and had a look at burbridge's book..its a great little book...not alot of writing but lots of good pics...and some good history from someone who was around before all the nuts showed up...cool little book
    What are your thoughts on those carved crosses?
    Oroblanco and PotBelly Jim like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links