Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 51 of 51
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: question mark mine at second water

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #46
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,196
    5004 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deducer View Post
    What are your thoughts on those carved crosses?
    i'm not sure what to think about them ..they might be mexican markers or more of barry storm's shenanigans
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

  2. #47

    Jan 2014
    1,674
    3158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    i'm not sure what to think about them ..they might be mexican markers or more of barry storm's shenanigans
    Although Barry Storm has been associated with the "marker cactus" and has been accused of fabricating it, there is no evidence that he did so, and no real motivation for having to go to such extent.

    Also, another argument that I would make is that John Burbridge arrived at the scene roughly around the same time as Barry Storm, so Storm would have had a hard time trying to fabricate a number of cacti in such a short amount of time and getting them to age enough to fool Burbridge. In some of the photos that Burbridge posted, you can see that the cuts are far from fresh.

    If you zoom in on the picture of Burbridge that I posted above, you can see that the surface of the cut cross is shriveled and dried up- note the cracks where the inner membrane has dried and hardened.
    dredgernaut and PotBelly Jim like this.

  3. #48
    gr
    Oct 2012
    3,090
    4792 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That cross carved in saguaro cactus at Carney Spring, was a surveying point for the Jesuit cache.
    Barry Storm made up some stories just to complete the gap in the info he had. I found some of his stories very close to the reallity. Of course this don't leads someone to the end of the rainbow but makes a good tale.
    PotBelly Jim likes this.
    Marius

    If your true to your heart,you will never go wrong.The truth is the truth,no matter how you look at it,and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth . It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP





  4. #49
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,196
    5004 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deducer View Post
    Although Barry Storm has been associated with the "marker cactus" and has been accused of fabricating it, there is no evidence that he did so, and no real motivation for having to go to such extent.

    Also, another argument that I would make is that John Burbridge arrived at the scene roughly around the same time as Barry Storm, so Storm would have had a hard time trying to fabricate a number of cacti in such a short amount of time and getting them to age enough to fool Burbridge. In some of the photos that Burbridge posted, you can see that the cuts are far from fresh.

    If you zoom in on the picture of Burbridge that I posted above, you can see that the surface of the cut cross is shriveled and dried up- note the cracks where the inner membrane has dried and hardened.
    actually barry storm had plenty or reason for fabricating evidence ..he was writing a book...i'm not saying he did because i dont know..i never met him..but i do know people that have ..carrol ingle got here in 1948 or 1949..he told me that people were destroying markers and cactus back then...he also told me quite a few people were manufacturing markers on cactus and rocks...after the publicity of adolph ruth's death alot of nuts started roaming the superstition's..after the 1949 movie lust for gold that number multiplied greatly ..not long after he got here he got away from the interior of the mountains and moved his search around to the west side of the mountain (goldfield area)..the nuts hadn't populated the area yet .. he was pretty much alone over there with lots of goodies to look for..he found many symbols carved in the cactus and rocks...he had pics of all of them...
    Oroblanco and PotBelly Jim like this.

  5. #50

    Jan 2014
    1,674
    3158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    actually barry storm had plenty or reason for fabricating evidence ..he was writing a book...i'm not saying he did because i dont know..i never met him..but i do know people that have ..carrol ingle got here in 1948 or 1949..he told me that people were destroying markers and cactus back then...he also told me quite a few people were manufacturing markers on cactus and rocks...after the publicity of adolph ruth's death alot of nuts started roaming the superstition's..after the 1949 movie lust for gold that number multiplied greatly ..not long after he got here he got away from the interior of the mountains and moved his search around to the west side of the mountain (goldfield area)..the nuts hadn't populated the area yet .. he was pretty much alone over there with lots of goodies to look for..he found many symbols carved in the cactus and rocks...he had pics of all of them...
    I am sure that Barry Storm had plenty of motivation for fabricating evidence, and none more than when he wrote his second book, "Thunder God Golds," but we are talking about the 1930's when Storm had just arrived and was just getting his feet wet as far as knowing the area. When he wrote his first book, "Trail of the Lost Dutchman" (by far his best book) he was working hand in hand with Barry Goldwater, who traveled with him into the Superstitions and took some of the photos. He also had help from the Dons (who wrote the introduction). To me that makes the prospect of him fabricating anything at that time, a very risky proposition, rather than the latter 1940's when he was working largely on his own, on his second book.

    Also, Carney Springs, as you know is in the proximity of the Peralta Trailhead, a stone's throw from the Burns Ranch. I would think that the folks there would notice something that had popped up overnight, no?

  6. #51
    us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

    Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6,398
    6256 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by deducer View Post
    I am sure that Barry Storm had plenty of motivation for fabricating evidence, and none more than when he wrote his second book, "Thunder God Golds," but we are talking about the 1930's when Storm had just arrived and was just getting his feet wet as far as knowing the area. When he wrote his first book, "Trail of the Lost Dutchman" (by far his best book) he was working hand in hand with Barry Goldwater, who traveled with him into the Superstitions and took some of the photos. He also had help from the Dons (who wrote the introduction). To me that makes the prospect of him fabricating anything at that time, a very risky proposition, rather than the latter 1940's when he was working largely on his own, on his second book.

    Also, Carney Springs, as you know is in the proximity of the Peralta Trailhead, a stone's throw from the Burns Ranch. I would think that the folks there would notice something that had popped up overnight, no?

    I dont remember where I read it, but someone went and saw Storm shortly before he died at his Jade Mine in California, near the Coxcomb Mountains (Joshua Tree Natl Park). They asked Storm about the marks on BTM, and Storm swore they were already there. He said he did not make them.\

    Mike
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

    ............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 06, 2018, 10:19 AM
  2. OLD MARK ON A TREE NEAR A OLD MINE
    By hmmm in forum Treasure Marks/Signs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: May 20, 2015, 09:59 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
  4. Question about hole in the water for water hunters
    By treasurenut in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 08, 2009, 05:57 AM
  5. First Water Hunt with Sea Hunter Mark 2
    By salty dog in forum Garrett
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 27, 2008, 09:48 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0