question mark mine at second water

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer...if you are in town ..the apache junction library has a copy of burbridge's book

Did you have a chance to read it? I've read it a few times and have copies of a few pictures from it. Wouldn't mind having it in my collection though, for easy reference.

He did find quite a bit of interesting things. Lucky guy got there before most of the signs and markers were destroyed, altered, or faked after the popularity of Storm's Thunder God's Gold took off, and Barkley began his campaign of destroying anything that would lure treasure hunters onto his range.

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Did you have a chance to read it? I've read it a few times and have copies of a few pictures from it. Wouldn't mind having it in my collection though, for easy reference.

He did find quite a bit of interesting things. Lucky guy got there before most of the signs and markers were destroyed, altered, or faked after the popularity of Storm's Thunder God's Gold took off, and Barkley began his campaign of destroying anything that would lure treasure hunters onto his range.
i am going to go have a look..you cant check it out but you can read it there

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i am going to go have a look..you cant check it out but you can read it there

Here is a picture of Burbridge next to one of the several cacti he found that had what he called "church crosses" deeply cut into the cactus (you can see it on the left). This picture was taken in 1940, and you can tell by the size and girth of the cactus that it's more than 200 years old. He said that the carved cacti started at Carney Springs and led into the Superstitions. He didn't say where exactly they ended up.

All those carved cacti were gone by the 60's.

1940.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Here is a picture of Burbridge next to one of the several cacti he found that had what he called "church crosses" deeply cut into the cactus (you can see it on the left). This picture was taken in 1940, and you can tell by the size and girth of the cactus that it's more than 200 years old. He said that the carved cacti started at Carney Springs and led into the Superstitions. He didn't say where exactly they ended up.

All those carved cacti were gone by the 60's.

View attachment 1702184
deducer..i went and had a look at burbridge's book..its a great little book...not alot of writing but lots of good pics...and some good history from someone who was around before all the nuts showed up...cool little book:occasion14:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer..i went and had a look at burbridge's book..its a great little book...not alot of writing but lots of good pics...and some good history from someone who was around before all the nuts showed up...cool little book:occasion14:

What are your thoughts on those carved crosses?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i'm not sure what to think about them ..they might be mexican markers or more of barry storm's shenanigans

Although Barry Storm has been associated with the "marker cactus" and has been accused of fabricating it, there is no evidence that he did so, and no real motivation for having to go to such extent.

Also, another argument that I would make is that John Burbridge arrived at the scene roughly around the same time as Barry Storm, so Storm would have had a hard time trying to fabricate a number of cacti in such a short amount of time and getting them to age enough to fool Burbridge. In some of the photos that Burbridge posted, you can see that the cuts are far from fresh.

If you zoom in on the picture of Burbridge that I posted above, you can see that the surface of the cut cross is shriveled and dried up- note the cracks where the inner membrane has dried and hardened.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cross carved in saguaro cactus at Carney Spring, was a surveying point for the Jesuit cache.
Barry Storm made up some stories just to complete the gap in the info he had. I found some of his stories very close to the reallity. Of course this don't leads someone to the end of the rainbow but makes a good tale.

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Although Barry Storm has been associated with the "marker cactus" and has been accused of fabricating it, there is no evidence that he did so, and no real motivation for having to go to such extent.

Also, another argument that I would make is that John Burbridge arrived at the scene roughly around the same time as Barry Storm, so Storm would have had a hard time trying to fabricate a number of cacti in such a short amount of time and getting them to age enough to fool Burbridge. In some of the photos that Burbridge posted, you can see that the cuts are far from fresh.

If you zoom in on the picture of Burbridge that I posted above, you can see that the surface of the cut cross is shriveled and dried up- note the cracks where the inner membrane has dried and hardened.

actually barry storm had plenty or reason for fabricating evidence ..he was writing a book...i'm not saying he did because i dont know..i never met him..but i do know people that have ..carrol ingle got here in 1948 or 1949..he told me that people were destroying markers and cactus back then...he also told me quite a few people were manufacturing markers on cactus and rocks...after the publicity of adolph ruth's death alot of nuts started roaming the superstition's..after the 1949 movie lust for gold that number multiplied greatly ..not long after he got here he got away from the interior of the mountains and moved his search around to the west side of the mountain (goldfield area)..the nuts hadn't populated the area yet .. he was pretty much alone over there with lots of goodies to look for..he found many symbols carved in the cactus and rocks...he had pics of all of them...

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
actually barry storm had plenty or reason for fabricating evidence ..he was writing a book...i'm not saying he did because i dont know..i never met him..but i do know people that have ..carrol ingle got here in 1948 or 1949..he told me that people were destroying markers and cactus back then...he also told me quite a few people were manufacturing markers on cactus and rocks...after the publicity of adolph ruth's death alot of nuts started roaming the superstition's..after the 1949 movie lust for gold that number multiplied greatly ..not long after he got here he got away from the interior of the mountains and moved his search around to the west side of the mountain (goldfield area)..the nuts hadn't populated the area yet .. he was pretty much alone over there with lots of goodies to look for..he found many symbols carved in the cactus and rocks...he had pics of all of them...

I am sure that Barry Storm had plenty of motivation for fabricating evidence, and none more than when he wrote his second book, "Thunder God Golds," but we are talking about the 1930's when Storm had just arrived and was just getting his feet wet as far as knowing the area. When he wrote his first book, "Trail of the Lost Dutchman" (by far his best book) he was working hand in hand with Barry Goldwater, who traveled with him into the Superstitions and took some of the photos. He also had help from the Dons (who wrote the introduction). To me that makes the prospect of him fabricating anything at that time, a very risky proposition, rather than the latter 1940's when he was working largely on his own, on his second book.

Also, Carney Springs, as you know is in the proximity of the Peralta Trailhead, a stone's throw from the Burns Ranch. I would think that the folks there would notice something that had popped up overnight, no?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that Barry Storm had plenty of motivation for fabricating evidence, and none more than when he wrote his second book, "Thunder God Golds," but we are talking about the 1930's when Storm had just arrived and was just getting his feet wet as far as knowing the area. When he wrote his first book, "Trail of the Lost Dutchman" (by far his best book) he was working hand in hand with Barry Goldwater, who traveled with him into the Superstitions and took some of the photos. He also had help from the Dons (who wrote the introduction). To me that makes the prospect of him fabricating anything at that time, a very risky proposition, rather than the latter 1940's when he was working largely on his own, on his second book.

Also, Carney Springs, as you know is in the proximity of the Peralta Trailhead, a stone's throw from the Burns Ranch. I would think that the folks there would notice something that had popped up overnight, no?

I dont remember where I read it, but someone went and saw Storm shortly before he died at his Jade Mine in California, near the Coxcomb Mountains (Joshua Tree Natl Park). They asked Storm about the marks on BTM, and Storm swore they were already there. He said he did not make them.\

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread