OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
profile.jpg

I see a profile looking left.
Perhaps with a beard.

Not sure if you are seeing the same profile but a face is recognizable and the location sure is curious.

And for 57).....It's at the end of a canyon alright....a box canyon

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Arizona Weekly Gazette
September 1/1892
“A Queer Quest, Another Lost Mine Being Hunted by a Woman.”

1892 predates Prof. Drury's work by approximately fourteen years.
Which is encouraging.

Are there any geological features in the Superstitions named after Waltz?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1892 predates Prof. Drury's work by approximately fourteen years.
Which is encouraging.

Are there any geological features in the Superstitions named after Waltz?

Not that I can think of offhand.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1724452

I see a profile looking left.
Perhaps with a beard.

Not sure if you are seeing the same profile but a face is recognizable and the location sure is curious.

Same profile, but I see a long chin and an ear in the original color photo. The eyes are not very distinct, but as far as clues go, it's what I would say it is, were I to use it as a clue....a (generic) Indian Head.

Do you recognize what is in the "bonus" shots ?
If not, might help if you flipped them, since the whole thing is upside down out there.
I took the overall photo about 8 or 9 years ago. Intended to follow up on it, but got wrapped up in the stones instead.
I never expected I would wind up in the same place via a back door, something a friend once said couldn't exist.

Last edited:

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
I agree that there are "lots" of head shaped structures in the range.
Naturally occurring structures.
Structures that, based on lighting and viewer position, resemble a human face or head.

"Pareidolia is a phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus (for example an image) and perceives a pattern (for example a face) where none exists."

I asked if anyone could identify a face/head-like structures with a known name, issued by the USGS.
Only one was offered in the Superstitions.

The Geronimo Head Mountain Profile (USGS), named by locals before 1916.
"on the mountain to the south of Tortilla Flat Station..."
The same one (I believe) that impressed Ron & Tom.

There are "lots" of examples as you noted but only one with a USGS assigned name.

20190713_133940.jpg
I believe this is the one he is referring to.

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Taken from somehiker's list.

13) Theres a spirit that sleeps near the mine 4 hours a day. (Apache Jack)
43) All the old landmarks are still there. You can almost peek into the mine where the entrance has settled. The cave of hidden gold. (San Carlos Apaches 1965)
55) Near the mine is a face that looks right at the mine. (Storm)
56) A Sphinx overhangs and dominates the mine area. (John Reed)
57) Waltz told of a natural stone face sitting upon the end of a canyon below his mine. (Storm)

57) Waltz told of a natural stone face sitting upon the end of a canyon below his mine. (Storm) on the end of this canyon is this rock face. And directly above it about 3/4's the way up the mountain is the second picture. What do you all think? 20190714_124349.jpg 20190714_124603.jpg

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is located in a place that Storm knew very well.....

Attachments

• Picture_026 Yavapai anguish.jpg
    Picture_026 Yavapai anguish.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 148

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more inclined to think, since the mountain itself was given the name, that this would be the actual "Geronimo Head".
Consider this a "bonus photo" of what I also believe the "Waltz Sketch" was based on......

Attachments

• DSCF1255 gunsight view B.jpg
    DSCF1255 gunsight view B.jpg
    792.6 KB · Views: 207

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or this......

Attachments

• Picture_026 Yavapai anguish 2.jpg
    Picture_026 Yavapai anguish 2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 139

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Or this......

No. I'm sorry, but that doesn't help at all. I still believe the picture I posted is what Dury was referencing, and is "described" as Geronimo's Head.

A piece of advice I got years ago was that you should not have to try and convince someone of your picture. Your pictures need to speak for themselves.

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Or this......

Like this for example. I don't have to make you squint or imagine a face. Bonus tip for you - I also believe that this is also referenced as the lost Apache mine, which the clue says "High on the cliff is a rock face with an elongated nose and as the story goes the mine is located directly under the nose. IMG_5351.JPG

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. I'm sorry, but that doesn't help at all. I still believe the picture I posted is what Dury was referencing, and is "described" as Geronimo's Head.

A piece of advice I got years ago was that you should not have to try and convince someone of your picture. Your pictures need to speak for themselves.

The "or this' shot has nothing to do with "Geronimo Head", and isn't in the same area of the mountains.

But that was good advice you were given, which I happen to agree with and follow as well.
That's why I said in my other post, how it is better that you reach your own conclusions when considering other's photos or opinions.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like this for example. I don't have to make you squint or imagine a face. Bonus tip for you - I also believe that this is also referenced as the lost Apache mine, which the clue says "High on the cliff is a rock face with an elongated nose and as the story goes the mine is located directly under the nose. View attachment 1732991

I generally don't have any trouble seeing what original posters see as "faces" or "heads", so don't have any difficulty in seeing tht one either. Problem is, there are so many such visuals withing the rugged rocks and crags within the range, it is only the actual presence of a gold mine that matches Waltz's own description of his LDM, which will provide confirmation for any such clue/clues.

Do you have a link for this reference ?

"this is also referenced as the lost Apache mine, which the clue says "High on the cliff is a rock face with an elongated nose and as the story goes the mine is located directly under the nose. "

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
I generally don't have any trouble seeing what original posters see as "faces" or "heads", so don't have any difficulty in seeing tht one either. Problem is, there are so many such visuals withing the rugged rocks and crags within the range, it is only the actual presence of a gold mine that matches Waltz's own description of his LDM, which will provide confirmation for any such clue/clues.

Do you have a link for this reference ?

"this is also referenced as the lost Apache mine, which the clue says "High on the cliff is a rock face with an elongated nose and as the story goes the mine is located directly under the nose. "

I absolutely agree with you there, however I never said that I believed this was the ldm. I just said I believe it is geronimo's head, and I believe it's the lost Apache mine.

And no I don't have a link as a reference handy.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO, the Geronimo Head mountain/landmark has nothing to do with the cave with gold that Geronimo was referring when tried to bribe a soldier to let him free from jail ( Estee Conatser story from her book ). That is a different landmark from a different place.
When Waltz said how a stone face/profile is looking down to his mine, was talking about the tunnel mine ( the place where the vein from the inclined shaft crop out at its end ) and the warrior's profile which is across the mine and the ravine, behind the Caverna con Casa.
Now, for the clue #57 which says about a face that is at the head of a canyon and below the mine, this clue is referring to the inclined shaft mine ( Hoyo from the Perfil mapa ) and the face/profile from the Perfil mapa.
These faces/profiles are sitting face to face from a distance of about 200 feet.
I post a real pic modified with the head/profile from the Perfil mapa ( reversed to looks like in the map), and with red dot I marked the LDM inclined shaft, and with yellow dot I marked the LDM tunnel mine.

face.jpg perfilmapa (2).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread