Not clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Still at 0% containment. That's utterly devastating.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Far less bloodshed.
The spirits will not be pleased.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning dedicer: True, however no more Cat Claw! Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Good morning Greg,

Yes, and my personal nemesis: the cholla

But they and the desert's other natural defenses are what keep out undesired people who would otherwise, deface, trash, vandalize, or leave graffiti. I detest getting pricked, bit, bloodied and drawn every time I wade through the underbrush, but the peace and solitude more than makes up for it.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning Greg,

Yes, and my personal nemesis: the cholla

But they and the desert's other natural defenses are what keep out undesired people who would otherwise, deface, trash, vandalize, or leave graffiti. I detest getting pricked, bit, bloodied and drawn every time I wade through the underbrush, but the peace and solitude more than makes up for it.

It's hard to say exactly what will grow back after a fire nowadays and what won't. The extent of the burned ground of course is the main thing, but the underlying problem is often the number of cattle that grazed in the area and the amount of fire suppression the FS used in the last hundred years, both factors upsetting the natural balance of things at ground level.

Only one strategy for cholla - never touch it. Here's a tip for cat claw. If you can't go around it, try slowly "spiraling" through it. Rotate your body a little with each short step, "circling" through it. It seems to somewhat deflect the snags.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not that I know of. If you go to inciweb and expand the map at the northern edge, it show Tonto National Monument about 2/3rds burnt. The fire also jumped 188 across from Roosevelt Lake.

It's bad enough right now that we are seriously considering suspending mining operations until the monsoons kick off.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Firefighters stationed at Tortilla Flat were driving back to the Incident Command Post when they identified a NEW human caused fire. They immediately suppressed the fire and contained it to 1/10th of an acre.

I think my bat and I need to take a ride to beat some sense into people.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Firefighters stationed at Tortilla Flat were driving back to the Incident Command Post when they identified a NEW human caused fire. They immediately suppressed the fire and contained it to 1/10th of an acre.

you cant beat sense into an idiot...lol

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought 88 was closed to all but emergency services since last week.
And reports I've read recently are now saying they are not sure that woodbury was manmade.
They had said the same about that big one in Cali last year, but it turned out to be poor maintenance on power lines had caused a short circuit which started that fire. If not that, it could be vehicle related....hot catalytic convertor or even sparks caused by scraping metal parts across rocks .....so be aware, any of you who four wheel it out there in dry conditions. It may not be deliberate, but.....

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I thought 88 was closed to all but emergency services since last week.
And reports I've read recently are now saying they are not sure that woodbury was manmade.
They had said the same about that big one in Cali last year, but it turned out to be poor maintenance on power lines had caused a short circuit which started that fire. If not that, it could be vehicle related....hot catalytic convertor or even sparks caused by scraping metal parts across rocks .....so be aware, any of you who four wheel it out there in dry conditions. It may not be deliberate, but.....
if what the news is saying is correct it started in millsite canyon.......you cant get a vehicle in there...at this point i don't think they really have any idea how it started

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if what the news is saying is correct it started in millsite canyon.......you cant get a vehicle in there...at this point i don't think they really have any idea how it started

Regardless of whether or not, and since many fires ARE started by careless smokers, unextinguished campfires,etc., it probably doesn't do any harm in saying so, at least early on. Doing so, will get people who might be headed out into the desert or forests, to be more attentive to what they they are doing out there. Those who care, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread