Primary Interest:
Prospecting
morning.JPG

AJones

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
there is a ton of smoke coming out of the north end of the mountains this morning

On the website this morning, it looked like Rogers Ridge was the eastern extent...with north winds...0% contained...not looking good. 450+ firefighters on hand...hope they all stay safe and make it through OK.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Just updated 2 mins ago...13K acres now...map as of 2300 local last nite attached:

Woodbury Fire 2300L 13 JUN 19.JPG

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
yep...just looked at JF Ranch Facebook page, the fire went through the yard but all people, buildings, etc. made it.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
About 26k acres now. Map from yesterday 1130 local:

Woodbury Fire 1130L 14JUN.JPG

I would think the firefighters are trying their best to hold the line at Rt 88, but I would imagine it would be hard to do. Anyone know if it's north of Apache Trail yet?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the video, looks like it's now gone this far....

fire progression.jpg

Getting too close to Tortilla Flat.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
They back-burned around Tortilla Flat yesterday, and the plan was to do the same around any campgrounds and buildings along 88 as needed. They expect the fire to head W and NW in the next week, so it's possible this thing could make it all the way out of the wilderness on the northwest side...they also expect some spreading to the east but aren't sure how flammable the stuff at higher elevations will be, so who knows how bad it will get over there. Winds this week are expected to trend W/SW.
A hearty Father's Day salute to all the firefighter's bustin' their :censored: out there in this heat! :icon_salut::icon_thumright::notworthy::occasion14::usflag:

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Map just updated on web site, it's from 1000 local time yesterday. It seems they're taking about 24 hrs to get all the data gathered and the maps published, and they post them around 11am to 12pm every day. Looks like yesterday it got up onto Peters Mesa, and is headed down into La Barge.

Woodbury Fire 1000L 15 Jun.JPG

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe is time for a torrential rain out there. My prayers started.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the better accessibility #88 gives to fire crews, that water bombers and helos can get low and over at Mesquite Flats....and once North of the SWA boundary areas, start using FR chemicals....they might just be able to stop it at 88. If not, looks like it's probably going to reach the river in the next couple of days. According to the MODIS website, the area affected has grown 33% since yesterday.

Last edited:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all: I am not one to wish a fire on anyone or place but let's face it, this has been a long time coming. Since the cattle were removed from the Superstition Region by the Forest Service the vegetation has grown completely out of control. Some of the canyons trails are so overgrown that one cannot get through. Maybe now when the fall hiking season starts we will be able to better explore the region. Who knows? Maybe the coming rains will reveal the LDM? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one thing I've considered Greg.
Another though, is how much hotter is will be come late October, when I usually go in for a look around. It's almost always in the high 90's by midday, unless you are up high somewhere. Some days even over 100.
I did notice on one of the websites tracking the fire, that they said it was being fueled by and consuming mostly brush and grass up to 2' high. One of the reasons it's moving so fast I guess, and quickly burning out behind the fronts. The mesquite and larger cacti will probably be fine, as will most of the larger hardwoods I expect. So maybe in the end it won't be too bad.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hello all: I am not one to wish a fire on anyone or place but let's face it, this has been a long time coming. Since the cattle were removed from the Superstition Region by the Forest Service the vegetation has grown completely out of control. Some of the canyons trails are so overgrown that one cannot get through. Maybe now when the fall hiking season starts we will be able to better explore the region. Who knows? Maybe the coming rains will reveal the LDM? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
exactly greg...when they ran the cattlemen off the range they were just begging for a fire...cattle are natures lawnmowers

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Amen to that! By making a 'wilderness' out of the area, keeping all of the livestock OUT, has resulted in the predictable, the brush grows in very thick, dries out and only needs a spark to burn out of control. Add wind and presto its a disaster.

Thanks to those keeping us posted,

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread