Bulldog Butte

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. I am finding old articles referring to a "Bulldog Butte". My first guess was The Bulldog Mine. Its location I have heard and read as on Bulldog Peak or Bulldog Mountain. Not Bulldog Butte. Also, the finding stories don't mesh:

1. The Bulldog Claims were first made in November of 1892. No mention of float gold in article or story on the mine. Just a bunch of visible gold in a vein on the mountain. The ore description from the Bulldog Ledge matches that of the newspaper article; "it is fairly speckled with the precious metal........." but then the description goes COMPLETELY against what we know of the Bulldog Ledge find; ".....and it almost covers the ground, but no one seems to have the slightest clue as to the ledge whence it came."

2. The Bulldog Butte of the newspaper articles in June of 1893, was the scene of the finding of a large amount of "FLOAT ORE" with no associated vein (just like Silverlock & Malm). Its location is supposed to be "where the Superstition Trail enters the hills".

The_St_Johns_Herald_Thu__Jun_22__1893_.jpg

Now, "where the Superstition Trail enters the hills" could mean either First Water (give or take) OR where the Bulldog Mine is. West of where Apache Trail first enters the low hills near Youngberg.

Are there two "Bulldogs" in this area? If so, were there others before Silverlock & Malm that found Peralta Massacre Gold?

Mike

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Okay. I am finding old articles referring to a "Bulldog Butte". My first guess was The Bulldog Mine. Its location I have heard and read as on Bulldog Peak or Bulldog Mountain. Not Bulldog Butte. Also, the finding stories don't mesh:

1. The Bulldog Claims were first made in November of 1892. No mention of float gold in article or story on the mine. Just a bunch of visible gold in a vein on the mountain. The ore description from the Bulldog Ledge matches that of the newspaper article; "it is fairly speckled with the precious metal........." but then the description goes COMPLETELY against what we know of the Bulldog Ledge find; ".....and it almost covers the ground, but no one seems to have the slightest clue as to the ledge whence it came."

2. The Bulldog Butte of the newspaper articles in June of 1893, was the scene of the finding of a large amount of "FLOAT ORE" with no associated vein (just like Silverlock & Malm). Its location is supposed to be "where the Superstition Trail enters the hills".

View attachment 1739544

Now, "where the Superstition Trail enters the hills" could mean either First Water (give or take) OR where the Bulldog Mine is. West of where Apache Trail first enters the low hills near Youngberg.

Are there two "Bulldogs" in this area? If so, were there others before Silverlock & Malm that found Peralta Massacre Gold?

Mike
mike...bulldog butte is just west of the bulldog mine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions