Surgeon Brayton

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...on+&y=10&x=16&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

BE93E183-07B8-420A-8D4C-E6BC197A13FA.jpeg 6E15D7FA-6E8C-4E8A-9495-21C0649D1C0C.jpeg 97F688F7-E588-43DF-BC92-6134C0C273FB.jpeg

How a Mine Was Found

The view of Weavers Needle is curious which is why I asked in another thread if that mountain were visible from North of the Salt River.

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
My question: Where can you see Weavers Needle from a canyon surrounded by hundred foot cliffs? North of the Salt River?

Brayton left no children which makes finding his journals a challenge.

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Hal Croves: I have to agree with Hillbilly Prince. Your attachments when trying to view are showing "Invalid Attachments". Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting. Suspiciously similar to the Doc Thorne story. Could this be the real Doc Thorne?

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hello Hal Croves: I have to agree with Hillbilly Prince. Your attachments when trying to view are showing "Invalid Attachments". Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

It seems that some are able to view the attachments and some not. If anyone has an idea of what I am doing wrong please post your thoughts or suggestions. Thank you for the kind help.

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WN can be seen from a number of places north of the Salt R.
Some residential properties boast great views of both Four Peaks and Weavers Needle.....eg.

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/14223-e-coyote-way--4#gallery

somehiker,

Hells Hip Pocket Blue Tank Canyon.jpg Jim Bark letter Hells Hip Pocket.JPG

Weavers Needle can be seen from a few places along Blue Tank Canyon on the way to Hells Hip Pocket north of the Salt River. Some of the cliffs of Blue Tank Canyon are well over 500 feet but not sheer straight up and down cliffs. Extremely steep however and impossible to climb out. In rainy season some very nice water holes and several waterfalls from the cliffs above. Apache had a major camp near Blue Tanks in the 1860's - 1870's.

When Jeff Adams, Tex Barkley, Hosea Cline, Asa Gardner and Gabriel Robles were searching for Adolph Ruth they obtained a map of Ruth's that led them up into Hells Hip Pocket where they believed the mine to be. Adams later wrote a letter to Sen. Carl Hayden saying the trip was two days of extreme hardship in some of the roughest country he had ever seen. They found the cave they were looking for but not the mine.

Adams was right, getting to Hells Hip Pocket is the hardest task anyone will do in the Superstition's , Mazatzal's. There are some things in Blue Tanks and the Hip Pocket that are preserved so well only because they are so remote. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to go to the Hip Pocket unless you are an expert hiker.

I have no idea if this is the canyon in the gold story or not and keep that opinion to myself.

Matthew

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. Suspiciously similar to the Doc Thorne story. Could this be the real Doc Thorne?

deducer,

The surgeon Brayton story is basically the Doc Thorne story with Brayton mistakingly being identified as Thorne.

Brayton was never a doctor or a surgeon. Thorne was in fact a Dr. surgeon. Someone somehow mistook Brayton and wrote Thorne,s story using his name. Just another example of recorded printed history being wrong.

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
deducer,

The surgeon Brayton story is basically the Doc Thorne story with Brayton mistakingly being identified as Thorne.

Brayton was never a doctor or a surgeon. Thorne was in fact a Dr. surgeon. Someone somehow mistook Brayton and wrote Thorne,s story using his name. Just another example of recorded printed history being wrong.

Matthew
i've hever seen anything about doc thorne except in treasure books...are you aware of any newspaper articles of historical write-ups on thorne?...i'd like to read them if anyone has something:occasion14:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
i've hever seen anything about doc thorne except in treasure books...are you aware of any newspaper articles of historical write-ups on thorne?...i'd like to read them if anyone has something:occasion14:

Here is an old newspaper article that you might find interesting:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&andtext=gold&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Dr Abraham Thorn was already searching for his lost 'mine' as of 1869. That gives us the actual time period has to be earlier than 1869.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thorne told the story himself and with the famous Prescott pioneer Bob Groom and two other men actually went looking for the canyon. Groom tells of the experience in his papers at Sharlot Hall in Prescott. The famous Minor expedition was formed in Prescott largely due to Thornes telling of the story. Thorne also gave an account of the story while living at Lemitar New Mexico.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread