WALTZ SIGHTINGS

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It`s been told that some cowboy named Robles witnessed Waltz going up the canyon on the north side of Coffee Flat Mountain. So why would he waste his efforts to go there if he knew the mine was somewhere else? Maybe it was easier to go up the north side then come down on the south side where there is an area that has a square rock, you can see 4 Peaks and Weavers Needle just like the doodle but backwards. Does anybody know of a way to get up there or a link to some photos from up there. I`m planning on trying to get up there in the future. I want to explore that area and check out the heart shape to see if it`s man made or natural. Who was Robles? =Robe less

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It`s been told that some cowboy named Robles witnessed Waltz going up the canyon on the north side of Coffee Flat Mountain. So why would he waste his efforts to go there if he knew the mine was somewhere else? Maybe it was easier to go up the north side then come down on the south side where there is an area that has a square rock, you can see 4 Peaks and Weavers Needle just like the doodle but backwards. Does anybody know of a way to get up there or a link to some photos from up there. I`m planning on trying to get up there in the future. I want to explore that area and check out the heart shape to see if it`s man made or natural. Who was Robles? =Robe less
That route was one of the few which were usable by horses or mules leading into the heart of the mountains, many of the routes we know today did not exist in Waltz’s time, the park service has done a lot of work to open up trails by removing boulders and making the trails safer.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck,

Coffee Flat canyon .jpg

This is the canyon Waltz is referred to going up on the North side of Coffee Flat Mountain (near the red number 14). Picacho Peak is the highest point on Coffee Flat.

Yes you can get all the way to the top of Picacho Peak using that canyon but it is very rough, there is no trail and you cannot get horses up it. Someone might be able to get a burro or a mule up there today but would be difficult. I had a mining claim up in that canyon in 1982. The Harnish brothers had blanket claimed the entire lower part of the canyon and down into LaBarge. The canyon is known to old timers as Coffee Flat canyon.

To my knowledge Gabriel Robles, a cowboy from the Florence AZ area told this story about Waltz. He got the story from his father, also a cowboy, who allegedly knew Waltz. Gabriel Robles was one of the men who searched for the missing Adolph Ruth with Tex Barkley and Jeff Adams.

Matthew

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
As I recall, Bob Ward made some discoveries along that route up on top of coffee flat.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Chuck,

View attachment 1743762

This is the canyon Waltz is referred to going up on the North side of Coffee Flat Mountain (near the red number 14). Picacho Peak is the highest point on Coffee Flat.

Yes you can get all the way to the top of Picacho Peak using that canyon but it is very rough, there is no trail and you cannot get horses up it. Someone might be able to get a burro or a mule up there today but would be difficult. I had a mining claim up in that canyon in 1982. The Harnish brothers had blanket claimed the entire lower part of the canyon and down into LaBarge. The canyon is known to old timers as Coffee Flat canyon.

To my knowledge Gabriel Robles, a cowboy from the Florence AZ area told this story about Waltz. He got the story from his father, also a cowboy, who allegedly knew Waltz. Gabriel Robles was one of the men who searched for the missing Adolph Ruth with Tex Barkley and Jeff Adams.

Matthew

Plenty here to support the idea of Gabriel Robles being a cattleman.
But if you exclude the first name, there are lots of other Robles making local news, not all positive.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...FilterType=yearRange&rows=20&searchType=basic

This should be the correct Gabriel Robles based on dates.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/25470804/gabriel-robles

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty here to support the idea of Gabriel Robles being a cattleman.
But if you exclude the first name, there are lots of other Robles making local news, not all positive.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...FilterType=yearRange&rows=20&searchType=basic

This should be the correct Gabriel Robles based on dates.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/25470804/gabriel-robles

Yes that is the Gabriel Robles family. I understand they were an old family from the first days of Florence, Arizona.
Gabriel Robles is the man in the center of the photo.

Bob Ward did some work in this canyon with little luck. The Harnish brothers got some placer from the lower canyon. There are some very interesting things further up that canyon.

Adams Barkley Cline Gardner Robles.jpg

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harnish camp 1981 Coffee Flat and LaBarge.jpg

This was the Harnish brothers camp in early 1981. They positioned their camp right at the point where Coffee Flat canyon flowed into LaBarge.
Hank Harnish is seen in the photo. The Harnish's had about a dozen claims in the lower part of Coffee Flat canyon and down into LaBarge. They had found a small amount of placer gold near the bottom of CF canyon.

The brothers were armed and tried to discourage anyone from getting anywhere near their claims. I had a claim higher up the canyon and the Harnish's didn't like me going and coming from my claim. It was impossible to get up that canyon without going through Harnish's camp, those were some wild times. The wilderness didn't take effect until January 1, 1984. After that the Forest Service came in and evicted the Harnish brothers and tore down their camp. My claim was high up and secluded and I only kept a small siwash camp up there and some of my things are still in it.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes that is the Gabriel Robles family. I understand they were an old family from the first days of Florence, Arizona.
Gabriel Robles is the man in the center of the photo.

Bob Ward did some work in this canyon with little luck. The Harnish brothers got some placer from the lower canyon. There are some very interesting things further up that canyon.

View attachment 1743779
Bob Ward claimed to have found a cactus with a triangle and cross carved into it, if that is true, (big if, I know) then it would make sense that it would be an extension of the cross carved cactus that was on peralta road ending with the one that was in marsh valley, marking out a viable route into the superstition mountains, suitable for pack animals.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob Ward claimed to have found a cactus with a triangle and cross carved into it, if that is true, (big if, I know) then it would make sense that it would be an extension of the cross carved cactus that was on peralta road ending with the one that was in marsh valley, marking out a viable route into the superstition mountains, suitable for pack animals.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe this is the cross found near Marsh Valley. I didn't know Ward had found a cactus with a triangle and a cross both carved into it.

Cross Saguaro cactus.jpg

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the area I want to explore once it cools down and after a good rain. Coffee Flat Mnt..jpg

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
View attachment 1743785

This was the Harnish brothers camp in early 1981. They positioned their camp right at the point where Coffee Flat canyon flowed into LaBarge.
Hank Harnish is seen in the photo. The Harnish's had about a dozen claims in the lower part of Coffee Flat canyon and down into LaBarge. They had found a small amount of placer gold near the bottom of CF canyon.

The brothers were armed and tried to discourage anyone from getting anywhere near their claims. I had a claim higher up the canyon and the Harnish's didn't like me going and coming from my claim. It was impossible to get up that canyon without going through Harnish's camp, those were some wild times. The wilderness didn't take effect until January 1, 1984. After that the Forest Service came in and evicted the Harnish brothers and tore down their camp. My claim was high up and secluded and I only kept a small siwash camp up there and some of my things are still in it.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe this is the cross found near Marsh Valley. I didn't know Ward had found a cactus with a triangle and a cross both carved into it.

View attachment 1743801

If Ward did indeed find a carved triangle, what in your opinion would that particular shape mean to you, based on your experience and understanding of related history?

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I `ll try to go up this way. IDK Coffee Flat 2.jpg

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Ward did indeed find a carved triangle, what in your opinion would that particular shape mean to you, based on your experience and understanding of related history?

I really don't know what to make of the carved crosses and triangle in the saguaros. I only saw one cross in a saguaro and it was very old. I never saw the triangle one Ward talked about. The crosses I believe would have been Jesuit or Fransiscan and the triangle I do not know. All the crosses and triangle in the saguaro are gone today.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck,

View attachment 1743762

Matthew
Hmmm - we seem to be getting closer to Wagoner's ledge ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread