barry storm

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
here you go

Alright.
Barry’s parents were married 8 September, 1909.
Barry was born 4 June 1910.

And that’s how Barry’s story begins.

D73C80AA-9F11-4E23-B34D-CA31C193E6C5.jpeg

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Barry would have been -12 if the first attachment were accurate... listed as a SEAMAN US NAVY SPANISH AMERICAN WAR. He did however serve, enlisting on 15 September 1943 for “the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months,”. A Private with “no branch assignment”.

I requested a photo of Barry’s headstone.

DD4FD8D8-76C8-4783-AE99-69D89F1042B5.jpg

FAEB5D54-CFDB-4F63-BD3F-594F460EC715.jpeg

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

H.C.,

You've probably seen that he was in the Army...He was reported to have said that he signed up to help his country, but I've often wondered why he said the "draft board" delayed his "Practical Pistoleering" book...perhaps a little bravado, which is understandable...he was probably proud that he was going to serve...it's my understanding that a guy, even with no dependents, could no longer just sign up for the military by the time he joined in 1943.

Even the Navy, which was prior to the war and up through 1942, an all volunteer force, was ordered to stop signing up volunteers. Everyone had to go through the Selective Service system, and offer themselves up as "voluntary inductees". This was done so manpower could be managed more effectively. Inductees were also extended for the duration of the war plus six months, which is what we see in Storm's case. Any info you may run across regarding his draft status etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks for the great research/posts on Storm, looking forward to the rest!

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know if it is true, but Barry claimed that he was injured during the war? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering about that also. From Doug Stewart's site, quoting about Storm: "At the time we were prospecting as a hobby and he had his service retirement and a little jade mine for income."

https://www.lost-dutchman.com/dutchman/corestrm.html

Greg knows this, but for folks who aren't familiar with the military: Since service "retirement" isn't an option for service spanning 1943-1945, the only explanation for a form of service retirement income is from some type of service connected injury that results in some form of disability.

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I was wondering about that also. From Doug Stewart's site, quoting about Storm: "At the time we were prospecting as a hobby and he had his service retirement and a little jade mine for income."

https://www.lost-dutchman.com/dutchman/corestrm.html

Greg knows this, but for folks who aren't familiar with the military: Since service "retirement" isn't an option for service spanning 1943-1945, the only explanation for a form of service retirement income is from some type of service connected injury that results in some form of disability.
jim....did everyone that got injured in ww2 receive a purple heart?

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
No. Many combat injuries were ignored or hidden unless they were really bad...in that case the member may have been overlooked, i.e. no paperwork. Sometimes they went to the VA later, and someone in the VA would help them get awards after the fact, or they could apply directly to the service awards board to have their records amended. Happens all the time, even today.

If a guy gets injured, not the result of enemy action, but in the line of duty, a Purple Heart is not awarded. But they are still eligible for service related injury compensation such as disability income or other benefits like VA hospital priority or employment preference.

The Purple Heart is reserved for injuries that are the result of enemy action.

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
No. Many combat injuries were ignored or hidden unless they were really bad...in that case the member may have been overlooked, i.e. no paperwork. Sometimes they went to the VA later, and someone in the VA would help them get awards after the fact, or they could apply directly to the service awards board to have their records amended. Happens all the time, even today.

If a guy gets injured, not the result of enemy action, but in the line of duty, a Purple Heart is not awarded. But they are still eligible for service related injury compensation such as disability income or other benefits like VA hospital priority or employment preference.

The Purple Heart is reserved for injuries that are the result of enemy action.
thats what i thought...supposedly bob ward was a korean war hero...i never could find anything about his military record..unless he went by a different name then...

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
thats what i thought...supposedly bob ward was a korean war hero...i never could find anything about his military record..unless he went by a different name then...

I would not be surprised, at all. Many combat vets have a hard time adjusting to normal life due to the lack of constant adrenaline, endorphins, even the sense of mission, etc...years of being amped-up changes your brain chemistry, I don't care what the experts say about it...it HAPPENS...they're doing some really good brain research nowadays and trying to get a handle on it.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I would not be surprised, at all. Many combat vets have a hard time adjusting to normal life due to the lack of constant adrenaline, endorphins, even the sense of mission, etc...years of being amped-up changes your brain chemistry, I don't care what the experts say about it...it HAPPENS...they're doing some really good brain research nowadays and trying to get a handle on it.

Both of my friends who served in Vietnam live with remarkably similar feelings of betrayal, anger and a general uneasiness. Neither knows the other. It is an assumption but I wonder if the experience chased Barry into eventual seclusion and tne reported state of paranoia? Either way, the idea of his passing alone in an LA (correction Long Beach) Veterans Hospital is a sad one. I hope it wasn’t the case.

Reaching out to his extended family might prove helpful.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

They're only scratching the surface on how devastating PTSD can be. PTSD doesn't only affect the veteran but also affects family, extended families, and subsequent generations. My grandfather was a WW2 hero who fought in some of the heaviest fighting during the war, on the Anzio beachhead in Italy, and in North Africa, and had about a dozen medals awarded, including the purple heart. He was a captain in the 645th Tank Destroyer battalion and was shot multiple times, including in the head.

And he paid the price for it dearly- and so did we. PTSD destroyed him, destroyed his family, and affected his children, which in turn, affected some of the grandchildren.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
They're only scratching the surface on how devastating PTSD can be. PTSD doesn't only affect the veteran but also affects family, extended families, and subsequent generations. My grandfather was a WW2 hero who fought in some of the heaviest fighting during the war, on the Anzio beachhead in Italy, and in North Africa, and had about a dozen medals awarded, included the purple heart. He was a captain in the 645th Tank Destroyer battalion and was shot multiple times, including in the head.

And he paid the price for it dearly- and so did we. PTSD destroyed him, destroyed his family, and affected his children, which in turn, affected some of the grandchildren.

My father drew straws to cover the retreat at the Frozen Chosen, one of the last men out. Never speaks about the experience except that what he remembers most was the enemy wearing sneakers. He came close to loosing his toes to frostbite. He was either immune to the experience or hid its effect on him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
My father was drew straws to cover the retreat at the Frozen Chosen, one of the last men out. Never speaks about the experience except that what he remembers most was the enemy wearing sneakers. He came close to loosing his toes to frostbite. He was either immune to the experience or hid its effect on him.
i feel bad for anyone that had to go fight in a war.....it was a bad deal for all involved

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barry Storm died at the Long Beach VA hospital on May 18, 1971 and is buried at the Los Angeles National Cemetery. This indicates that Barry was a veteran. I remember reading somewhere, in his own written words, that he was injured in the war by a "Wiz Bang." What ever that is? I do not know if there is any truth to that? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Barry Storm died at the Long Beach VA hospital on May 18, 1971 and is buried at the Los Angeles National Cemetery. This indicates that Barry was a veteran. I remember reading somewhere, in his own written words, that he was injured in the war by a "Wiz Bang." What ever that is? I do not know if there is any truth to that? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
greg...did you ever meet barry?..if so what did you think of him?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

It could be a leftover term from WWI

“Although the term was used widely by Allied (most often British and Commonwealth) servicemen to describe any form of German field artillery shells, the 'whizz bang' was originally attributed to the noise made by shells from German 77mm field guns. In all cases however the name was derived from the fact that shells fired from light or field artillery travelled faster than the speed of sound.Thus soldiers heard the typical "whizz" noise of a travelling shell before the "bang" issued by the gun itself. Whizz bangs consequently much feared since the net result was that defending infantrymen were given virtually no warningof incoming high-velocity artillery fire as they were from enemy howitzers.”

4C8C15A8-400B-4E1C-9627-EFA6EB80B358.jpeg

If Barry served in the Pacific, slang for a Japanese mortar shell.

31E5CF6F-8C81-4AFA-8CC8-6C16531477B7.jpeg

http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/A/r/Artillery.htm

Under “Japanese”.

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
HC, you are absolutely correct. The term was popular military slang in WWI, and the generation that was in WW2 applied it to all sorts of incoming rounds. Most artillery, even firearms, make a distinct sound and it's possible to identify the weapons being used by the enemy and your own forces by their sound, the color and look of any tracers/rounds, and sometimes even the smell and taste they leave in the air. This knowledge of the enemy's ordnance, and knowing what your own side has, often drives tactics at the squad level as to how to deal with or approach an objective.

In WW2, "Whiz Bang" was generally applied to light artillery such as mortars. The bigger stuff is moving at higher velocities and tends to make a much shorter noise before impact.

Does anyone remember the reference Greg brought up about Storm being injured by a whiz bang? If anyone finds it, please post, I would like to see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread