Just what does the LDM cave/mine entrance look like?

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get where you guys say Waltz every said he would take her to the mine . as far as I know he never out right said that ...they were going to get one of the caches .

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and yes you could get there with a wagon .

Actually, he did. He told Julia and Reiney (supposedly) that they wouldn't know what to do with the mine anyway. He would go in a wagon to the edge of the mountains and point them to the caches. That was the same time he told them he and Weiser had made three caches (two small and one large). He took a small one to live on and left the other two.

Mike

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, he did. He told Julia and Reiney (supposedly) that they wouldn't know what to do with the mine anyway. He would go in a wagon to the edge of the mountains and point them to the caches. That was the same time he told them he and Weiser had made three caches (two small and one large). He took a small one to live on and left the other two.

Mike
I agree with that but that dose not say he was going to take them to the mine it self . the caches are not at the mine ...Waltz would not have made it to the mine and they could not find it by them self's I knew where it was and it took me over hour to find it again ...

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
The clues indicate they are near enough to each other that you could not find one without finding the other.
That said, if subsequent to that clue being delivered, the mine was covered up, then the other 2 cashes may still be there.
I do not believe that a wagon could be driven to the actual mine site. Not a cliff, but up on a ledge in a steep ravine s still too much for a wagon.

Really thinking about it, I don't think the cashes are "At the Mine" so to say, but are most likely nearby the mine. . . Maybe very close to the cave that He and his partner to shelter in that is what 200' or 200 yds. from the mine. Probably other little nearby caves.

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Did Waltz make a map to the caches? Or anyone claim to have one?

Supposedly this sketch

TREASM17.gif

was drawn by Waltz, however there is NO proof that he ever drew ANY maps.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that funny he would spell it Oro and then write the waltz in block letters and map in small letters ,it more like a confusion test ...!

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
There are at least two different descriptions of what the LDM entrance looks like - the one Dave already posted, which is also found in the Jacobs/Ludi story, and the other one which states the opening is "no larger than a barrel". There is also the cryptic statement by Waltz
what pray tell is the documentation for this?
that you could "lead an Army pack train OVER (emphasis mine not his) the entrance to the mine and not see it". If this statement is true, the mine is in a spot you could lead a mule to, which rules out most of the steep cliffs. As the opening was also concealed, with logs laid in and rocks/dirt to bring it level with the ground and make it undetectable, trying to spot the entrance is going to be about as difficult as spotting fairies licking dewdrops off the clover. The conflicting descriptions of the entrance of the mine also should raise a red flag that there is some mixing of two different stories going on. So you have over 100 different "clues" around 60 or 70 different treasure maps, charts and waybills, not to mention the marked cactus (cactii?) the old Military trail the "silver smelting" evidence found by Bicknell in the stone cabin and you are off to a wild goose chase of epic proportions. Heck you could even throw in the psychic revelations of Edgar Cayce and a Quija board to round it out.

Unless the logs have rotted (and there is reason to believe that may well take centuries more before that happens) or a landslide should uncover the mine, it is highly unlikely that anyone is going to simply walk in and find it.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly this sketch

TREASM17.gif

was drawn by Waltz, however there is NO proof that he ever drew ANY maps.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

If Waltz covered the mine, there would have been a depression as everything settled, right?
Maybe filled in now after so much time.
Have to recheck the first of this thread...
Okay, the mine was worked by the Peraltas, did they have Mexicans or friendly Indians to do the digging?
And if there is a tunnel there would have to be some means of ventilation.

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Blindbowman wrote
I find that funny he would spell it Oro and then write the waltz in block letters and map in small letters ,it more like a confusion test

I would presume that Waltz did not write the name Waltz on it. However there is no reason to believe that Waltz ever touched that map for that matter.

ConceptualizedNetherlandr wrote
what pray tell is the documentation for this?

To which part? Perhaps you did not know that most of the information surrounding the LDM legend is not documented? It is mostly from stories published in treasure books and articles. Do you consider that documentation?

Hillbilly Prince wrote
If Waltz covered the mine, there would have been a depression as everything settled, right?
Maybe filled in now after so much time.
Have to recheck the first of this thread...

It seems logical that this part of the saga is probably true, since we don't know where the LDM is located then it follows that statement about concealing it is likely true. Logically it could become a shallow depression, but unfortunately the ground doesn't always change in a logical way. It could be level with the surrounding ground today, or even higher than the surrounding ground. Can't be sure until someone finds the mine.

Hillbilly Prince also wrote
Okay, the mine was worked by the Peraltas, did they have Mexicans or friendly Indians to do the digging?
And if there is a tunnel there would have to be some means of ventilation.

The Peralta story is also found in the Jacobs/Ludi story, and a good argument could be made that the famous 'Pit' mine is that very mine. Ventilation might not have become an issue until considerable depth was reached, and old time mines are not always dug in the safest possible way. Some old Mexican/Spanish mines are more like rat holes, very dangerous with NO timbering and zero ventilation. Little or no thought was put into the safety of the mine workers. One old mine we used to own ran over 200 feet underground, the tunnel curving like a snake, and NO ventilation shaft at all. The air at the back was very stale.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say it looks like this:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]

When I was young there was an attraction called Crystal Caverns open near here. Basic cave tour. Missouri is riddled with caves, and some have huge rooms.
Anyway, we went on the tour. Whilec inside, as I stood in a cavern about as large as a small home, it suddenly occured to me there were tons of rock and dirt over head. Felt a little weird although I'm not claustrophobic.
I'm guessing you would go down that with a harness and someone to haul you back up.

Colt1911

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
That's the Pit Mine which Joe showed some time back is not the Silver Chief. Some folks believe it's the LDM while others believe it's not. I understand that a lot of people know who mined it and how much gold they got out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread