Just what does the LDM cave/mine entrance look like?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
That's the Pit Mine which Joe showed some time back is not the Silver Chief. Some folks believe it's the LDM while others believe it's not. I understand that a lot of people know who mined it and how much gold they got out of it.

Colt1911,

You might want to do a little more research into the subject before trying to correct someone. The Pit Mine IS the Silver Chief Mine. Those of us local to the area and who have researched the subject know that.

Mike

Colt1911

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Mike...I got my info from this and another site and thought the issue was pretty much resolved. Perhaps you have newer info that I haven't seen. I didn't mean to offend you Mike, Hell, you're bigger than I am!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Mike...I got my info from this and another site and thought the issue was pretty much resolved. Perhaps you have newer info that I haven't seen. I didn't mean to offend you Mike, Hell, you're bigger than I am!

No worries. No offense taken. Besides, a Colt1911A1 makes everybody the same size (unless I draw quicker)! LOL

I know a LOT of stories about the Pit Mine that very few do. One of the worst kept secrets of the Superstition Mountains.

Mike

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any good fighter will tell you size only counts for 50% of the fight out come .. dose matter that's women that think that way ...lol they like long bed trucks ...don't believe me look at butter bean ...

Colt1911

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Again Mike,
Would you feel comfortable sharing any of the info that you know that I, and perhaps others, don't know? If you can't I will understand. I just hate being completely wrong about one of my favorite stories.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Again Mike,
Would you feel comfortable sharing any of the info that you know that I, and perhaps others, don't know? If you can't I will understand. I just hate being completely wrong about one of my favorite stories.

Nothing right now.

I will say that some people have made that inference in order to sell books. People tell stories for many reasons. All you have to do is research mining claims in Pinal and Maricopa Counties. The coordinates for the Silver Chief Mine place it on the Pit Mine. Also, we know the approximate dates Waltz operated his mine. If his mine WAS the Pit Mine, there is no way he would not have been seen by the many other miners that were known to have been in the area.

You can also read John Reed's Letter to Adolph Ruth. Its posted on Garry's Website. It talks about his father finding Mexicans working a mine North of Weavers Needle and South of the Salt River. They told him where to find another rich ledge of gold further East. He specifically mentions Rogers Canyon and Rough Canyon.

Mike

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing right now.

I will say that some people have made that inference in order to sell books. People tell stories for many reasons. All you have to do is research mining claims in Pinal and Maricopa Counties. The coordinates for the Silver Chief Mine place it on the Pit Mine. Also, we know the approximate dates Waltz operated his mine. If his mine WAS the Pit Mine, there is no way he would not have been seen by the many other miners that were known to have been in the area.

You can also read John Reed's Letter to Adolph Ruth. Its posted on Garry's Website. It talks about his father finding Mexicans working a mine North of Weavers Needle and South of the Salt River. They told him where to find another rich ledge of gold further East. He specifically mentions Rogers Canyon and Rough Canyon.

Hello Mike

Mike,

I was recently at the Arizona Archives (Rosenbaum Building in Phoenix) with Greg Davis and had the opportunity to go through the Maricopa County Mining Claims Record Book beginning in 1871.

I copied down the James Rogers 1875 Silver Chief claim. Rogers was the locator and a co-filer on the claim with Charles Flemming and Charles Ciselak.
The Silver Chief claim was filed as an original location, not a relocation claim. Rogers did all the original discovery work himself for the claim. Rogers, Flemming and Ciselak filed several other locations immediately thereafter.
Within months the surrounding area was covered with some 40 other location claims.
I also found that in 1957, Quentin Ted Cox filed a relocation on the original Silver Chief Claim. He named his relocation the Ridge Pit Mine.

Best,

Matthew

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing right now.

Mike

Mike,

I was recently at the Arizona Archives (Rosenbaum Building in Phoenix) with Greg Davis and had the opportunity to go through the County Mining Claims Record Book beginning in 1871.

I copied down the James Rogers 1875 Silver Chief claim. Rogers was the locator and a co-filer on the claim with Charles Flemming and Charles Ciselak.
The Silver Chief claim was filed as an original location, not a relocation claim. Rogers did all the original discovery work himself for the claim. Rogers, Flemming and Ciselak filed several other locations immediately thereafter.
Within months the surrounding area was covered with some 40 other location claims.
I also found that in 1957, Quentin Ted Cox filed a relocation on the original Silver Chief Claim. He named his relocation the Ridge Pit Mine.

Best,

Matthew

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

I was recently at the Arizona Archives (Rosenbaum Building in Phoenix) with Greg Davis and had the opportunity to go through the County Mining Claims Record Book beginning in 1871.

Best,

Matthew

Great info.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread