Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't say with certitude how Bicknell article was the original description of the route written in the Ortiz letter. There is a difference only in few details of this route to lead someone to the LDM or to the Gonzalez-Two Soldiers mine. Actually they used the same route in some way, but at one point they took different paths.
I wrote in a previous post how my opinion is the Ortiz letter is for the Gonzalez mine because this mine is located 30-40 meters from the canyon floor versus the LDM which is more higher.
There is a detail in the original map which makes the difference but seems nobody has recognized it.

Markmar,
The Gonzalez mine; I am not familiar with the story, or the time frame involved. The 2 soldiers. . . 1884 approx come to mind, but not sure on that.
Maybe if it just happened to be while waltz was not in there. I recall something about Waltz being disturbed that someone had been to the mine. So were they mining two mines in the same ravine, somewhat concurrently? Not saying same day. Back in the day, I'm sure that would wig out most folk to find a nother mine in the same ravine, a short distance, that was obviously being worked by someone else, and recently.
Idahodutch

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
skyhawk1251 wrote: Mexico officially adopted the metric system March 15, 1857. Germany went metric in 1872.

Historical Note* On May 17, 1866 the 39th US Congress under HR596 also known as the Kasson Act, legalized, authorized and protected the use of the Metric System within the United States and provided the official metric conversion table.

This is true of course, however I would also point out that the Metric system was OPTIONAL in Mexico starting in 1857, it was not compulsory until 1896.

I would also point out that most people stick with the measurement system they are taught in childhood and grow up with, it is just more natural since it is 'ingrained' in our 'potty training' as Loke would say. If you look at documents from the period in Arizona you won't find many uses of the Metric system for anything. Also, the older system in Mexico continued to be used at least up until 1927. It is certainly possible that Don Pedro wrote to Jacob Waltz describing the distances in meters in 1864, but it seems highly unlikely to me.

The Salazar survey is a different case - as a SURVEY done by a surveying party, it would be totally logical for them to have adopted the metric measurement system.

I would like to see some documentation to show Jacob Waltz, Julia Thomas , Reiney Petrasch or others of the 'first' Dutch hunters using the Metric system for measurements. I have never seen any. :dontknow:

:coffee2::coffee2:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Markmar,
The Gonzalez mine; I am not familiar with the story, or the time frame involved. The 2 soldiers. . . 1884 approx come to mind, but not sure on that.
Maybe if it just happened to be while waltz was not in there. I recall something about Waltz being disturbed that someone had been to the mine. So were they mining two mines in the same ravine, somewhat concurrently? Not saying same day. Back in the day, I'm sure that would wig out most folk to find a nother mine in the same ravine, a short distance, that was obviously being worked by someone else, and recently.
Idahodutch

Markmar,
I found a thread you started called "Gonzales' Mina", and it was helpful and interesting.
Idahodutch

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread