Objects of Interest -- Boulder Canyon

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I find objects of interest in Boulder Canyon, I'll post them here. Most Google Earth images will be provided without comments, but if anyone needs further explanation just ask, and I'll reply. The images attached here are of a ravine immediately north of Idaho Dutch's ravine, off Boulder Canyon. GPS coordinates should be visible at the bottom of the images.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
As I find objects of interest in Boulder Canyon, I'll post them here. Most Google Earth images will be provided without comments, but if anyone needs further explanation just ask, and I'll reply. The images attached here are of a ravine immediately north of Idaho Dutch's ravine, off Boulder Canyon. GPS coordinates should be visible at the bottom of the images.

View attachment 1803388

View attachment 1803389

View attachment 1803390

What is it about this particular ravine that has attracted your interest? Thanks in advance.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is it about this particular ravine that has attracted your interest? Thanks in advance.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

The areas enclosed by red ellipses in the zoomed views are what caught my attention. A small, rectangular object, below the top of the ridge on the south slope. A cross across the canyon/ravine on the mountain slope, with a possible stacked-stone wall used to build a small terrace of level ground. I have on-the-ground photos of similar stacked-stone construction in the Cerbat Mountains, just east of Chloride, AZ. I measured distances in these "objects of interest" images; distance from rectangular object, across canyon/ravine to cross on slope, and distance from cross on slope to end of canyon/ravine. Results suggest ample reason for a trip with boots-on-ground.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another Google Earth image of an object that definitely looks man-made, located on the nose of the spur. This object changes shape as the viewing angle is changed in GE. GPS 33.472604, -111.390132, elevation 2362 feet. There appears to be a short trail leading to this object on the ridge.

004.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another GE view of those "objects of interest" in the canyon/ravine, and GE views of a rock formation that overlooks Boulder Canyon.

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Skyhawk,
Have you tried looking at it over a period of time? there is a feature on the Google earth tool bar you can click for viewing past years of imaging of the exact same view.
Just curious. Different years, the sun is a little different. . . stuff like that.

It looks like a Bear, standing guard.

(edit: you posted while I was I was in mosey speed I guess. .) I meant the thing on the nose of the spur, that looks like a bear.
Idaho Dutch

Last edited:
OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skyhawk,
Have you tried looking at it over a period of time? there is a feature on the Google earth tool bar you can click for viewing past years of imaging of the exact same view.
Just curious. Different years, the sun is a little different. . . stuff like that.

It looks like a Bear, standing guard.

(edit: you posted while I was I was in mosey speed I guess. .) I meant the thing on the nose of the spur, that looks like a bear.
Idaho Dutch

I haven't tried that toolbar trick yet. I can see some resemblance to a bear, but what I see in the image I posted has something white and spherical, and the sunlight is glinting off it. One thing you can be certain of is that people have been up on that ridge from time to time, but if they found something interesting or of any value they have kept silent about it. There surely has been other visitors there, other than possibly Mexican miners and Jacob Waltz. Another certainty is that if Waltz said, "that mine is hard to find," he was telling the truth. A trip to that canyon/ravine is not a walk in the park.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Proceeding northward along Boulder Trail, GE shows a structure foundation. GPS 33.504291, -111.404052, elevation 1955 feet. Cholla Tank is nearby, so the structure could have been a shack used by cowboys riding the range.

C.jpg

D.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going back to the ridge at the canyon/ravine, more GE images of the rectangular object on the ridge. Enhanced image, using GIMP's "Unsharp Mask" filter, top. GE image, as is, no enhancement, bottom. I see a stacked-stone structure, more than one room.

007.jpg

008.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are more GE images of the ravine with objects of interest, plus more information. BTW, this is a ravine, not a canyon. In the Cerbat Mountains some ravines have been given official place names as canyons, so I sometimes fall into the same trap. From the bottom of Boulder Canyon to the ridge above the ravine, the elevation change is about 350 feet. The rectangular, stone structure (elevation 2390 feet) has walls not over ten feet long, and that range from three to five feet in height. Looking overhead at the stone structure, ravine, and cross on slope, the distance from the stone structure to the cross is about 175 feet. The cross on the slope is at elevation 2422 feet. Because of large rocks, heavy brush, and the steep incline, the easiest way to get to the stone structure and the cross is by an indirect route, and not by going directly up the ravine.

E.jpg

F.jpg

H.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Google Earth images below show what looks like a cave, GPS 33.467533, -111.390545, in Boulder Canyon. From the cave to the mouth of the ravine, 33.473339, -111.390823, the distance is 0.65 km, or 0.40 mile.

https://gps-coordinates.org/distance-between-coordinates.php

This website:

https://www.treasureexpeditions.com/lost-dutchman-gold-mine-clues.html

provides this LDM "clue":

"From the cave you go about a mile up the same canyon, which runs north-south, until you find a ridge upon the end of which is a natural stone face looking upward to the east. Directly across from the face is a high, narrow ravine where you will find the inclined entrance to the mine. Down the slope below the mine shaft is a walled-up tunnel. The canyon can be identified further by the tumbled ruins of an old Spanish-built stone house near its head."

008.jpg

009.jpg

001.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An interesting feature, just west of Boulder Canyon. GPS 33.465782, -111.394100, elevation 2,461 feet. Caught my attention immediately, because it is circular in shape, very different from the straight, angular rock formations surrounding it. Its diameter is about 7 feet, which is small enough to be at the limits of the image resolution. I'd guess that it's a volcanic blowhole, and not man-made in origin. Google Earth sometimes doesn't show things that are there, and sometimes shows things that aren't there, so its reliability is often poor.

011.jpg

012.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These GE images, and more that will follow, supplement my previous posts to this thread that specifically pertain to a ravine of interest. The first image shows the ravine of interest inside the red ellipse. The second image shows the ravine of interest inside the right, red box, and a box canyon leading to a saddle between two ridges, inside the left red box. The third image shows a rock formation inside the box canyon. A possible route to the ravine of interest could be to enter the box canyon from Boulder Canyon, pass over the saddle, then head to the right to the ravine of interest. I say "possible route," because the final climb to the saddle looks steep, maybe too steep for an old prospector with burros in tow. Once the saddle has been crossed, however, the going is relatively easy. My next post will include GE images of a circle of stones above the ravine of interest.

001.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are more GE images of the vicinity near the ravine, just off Boulder Canyon. The first image shows the saddle at the head of the box canyon. It is a saddle, because it bridges two higher points, left and right, and the elevation decreases once it's crossed over. The second image shows the location of the circle of stones, which can be reached by going to the right, after crossing the saddle, then by proceeding along the ridge. The ravine is bottom, center, out of the frame. The third image is a zoomed view of the circle of stones. Its diameter is about 25 feet. Stones appear to be stacked in the center of the circle, forming a prominent monument.

014.jpg

019.jpg

017.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Possible stacked-stone walls above the ravine. In the images with two red ellipses, the object inside the right ellipse could be a natural feature. The stones arranged in straight lines, left ellipse, look like man-made construction. Notice that a natural, rock wall was used as one wall for the construction.

020.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The circle of stones from different viewing angles. The stones are not stacked, but could have been long ago.

024.jpg

023.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread