Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Who was allegedly with Dick Holmes at Waltz deathbed ?
Was it Gideon Roberds (RoberDs) of Trinidad Colorado ?

Matthew,
I'll bite. I am just going by memory, and have only purchased one book about the LDM, and maybe it is my mind playing tricks, but I have been under the impression it was Gideon Roberts.
Perhaps you would like to share? :icon_thumleft:
I would be interested if you are up for it.
Sincerely,
Idaho Dutch

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew,
I'll bite. I am just going by memory, and have only purchased one book about the LDM, and maybe it is my mind playing tricks, but I have been under the impression it was Gideon Roberts.
Perhaps you would like to share? :icon_thumleft:
I would be interested if you are up for it.
Sincerely,
Idaho Dutch

Idaho Dutch,

Yes you are correct the legend has it the man who was with Dick Holmes the night Waltz died and heard Waltz deathbed confession was Gideon Roberts.
That was noted over the years by several people, Ida Holmes (Dick Holmes wife), Brownie Holmes (Dick Holmes son) Jim Bark, and a few others.

Recently however a Dutchman author and others have floated the theory the man was someone else, Gideon Roberds who lived at Trinity, Colorado.

Best,

Matthew

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Matthew,
Does the author provide any info as to why it would not have been Gideon Roberts? I wasn't aware it was even disputed.
Idaho

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho Dutch,

I am not certain of the authors motivations and the information that is presented to back up the theory is easily refuted.
There was a real person named Roberds of Trinity, Co. who lived in the same basic time period but there is no information he ever knew Waltz, Dick Holmes or anyone else involved in the legend. I asked the question for someone who might be able to provide an explanation.

Best,

Matthew

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho Dutch,

Yes you are correct the legend has it the man who was with Dick Holmes the night Waltz died and heard Waltz deathbed confession was Gideon Roberts.
That was noted over the years by several people, Ida Holmes (Dick Holmes wife), Brownie Holmes (Dick Holmes son) Jim Bark, and a few others.

Recently however a Dutchman author and others have floated the theory the man was someone else, Gideon Roberds who lived at Trinity, Colorado.

Best,

Matthew

Matthew, IMO if Jim Bark said his surname was Roberts, then was Roberts. After seeing him crushing ore with Dick Holmes, I don't think Jim would not searched this out.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Idaho Dutch,

I am not certain of the authors motivations and the information that is presented to back up the theory is easily refuted.
There was a real person named Roberds of Trinity, Co. who lived in the same basic time period but there is no information he ever knew Waltz, Dick Holmes or anyone else involved in the legend. I asked the question for someone who might be able to provide an explanation.

Best,

Matthew

I don't have the book you are referring to, does the author provide anything to support his contention about the Roberds instead of Roberts? Thanks in advance,

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the book you are referring to, does the author provide anything to support his contention about the Roberds instead of Roberts? Thanks in advance,

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Oroblanco,

Other than to give a summary of the man Roberds life there is no connection made of Roberds to the Dutchman, Dick Holmes or anyone else related to the Lost Dutchman mine legend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread