Abraham (Abe Reid)) Lincoln Reid

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mr. Davis

I have not a copy of the mining claims of Abe Reid, but from this map, seems his mining claims were just north of the Reid's water tank and towards the Coffee Flat Mountain.

Reids-Silver-Queen-55.gif

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all: I just received notice that the Tonto National Forest is closing all of the trail heads due to the virus until further notice and that includes the trail head to the Superstition Mountains. Cordially, Greg Davis

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Greg,

There is no record found of Abe Reid's Silver Belle mine claim at BLM. This was Reid's mine at Reid's water, Superstition Mountains.

Reid did file on 5 mines in Graham County in 1925. These were lead carbonate silver mines in the Stanley Mineral District T5S R19E Sec23 E2. Reid filed them under the Ross and the Rawhide names.

Reid had a partner, Ella Van Winkle, a half owner in the claims. She fronted Reid $1,500 dollars to develop the mines and Reid was supposed to provide her 75 head of cattle in the arrangement also. Van Winkle eventually sued Reid but I don't think she ever won her suit. The case was heard in the Arizona Supreme Court , Reid vs Van Winkle 252 P. 189 Docket number Civil number 2550, January 10, 1927.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Matthew: Could he have filed the claim with the Pinal County Recorders Office? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Matthew: Could he have filed the claim with the Pinal County Recorders Office? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hello Greg,

It's a possibility but the Silver Belle should still show up in BLM records or at the very least Mindat Arizona. Reids Silver Belle was dug in the 1950 time frame if my memory is correct. I wonder if the claim wasn't actually in his name and he was just a partner of the principal owner working the claim and living on it. The mine was well known in the 50s and Reid actually died at the mine in about 1958. I'll keep looking and if I come up with something will post it.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Matthew: According to Reid's death certificate he died October 1, 1958. He was found by his mining partner, Mr. Mrs. Walter Gable of Phoenix. Reid is buried in the Superior Cemetery. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg,

I checked the Az Dept of Mineral Resources file on Abe Reid and they only have information on the 5 mining claims in Graham County. Nothing on him or the Silver Belle in the Superstitions.

Also checked the ADMMR mining collection files and again they have Abe Reid on the 5 Graham county claims but nothing on his mine in the Superstitions.

I'm sure somewhere there is information on the mine Reid worked in the Superstitions it's just not listed in his name or under the name Silver Belle. Do you know if Reids mine was known by any other name than Silver Belle ?

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew: It very could be. I have seen where the name of the mine is different that of the name of the claim. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gentlemen. Does anyone have a copy of Abe Reid's mining claims where he stayed and worked out of his camp at Reed's Water? If so, would you post a copy of it. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Gregory I couldn't find evidence of any mining claims in that area. This is the only thing I can find about Reeds water area from the Mineral investigation of the Superstition Wilderness.

(Numerous other prospect workings were examined and sampled, including Miller Mines, "Reed Camp area at Coffee Flat Mountain", Williams Camp area at Bluff Springs Mountain, and Indian Paint Mine area near Battleship Mountains. "No evidence from these workings suggests the presence of mineral resources at these sites" or elsewhere in the study area.)

The investigation calling that a prospect makes me wonder if there ever was a claim staked there. It wouldn't be the first time that much work has been done without a location notice being filed.

You may know about this as well, but I think that this is the prospect/claim.

Reeds Water & 2 open cuts.jpg 2 open cuts.jpg

There are many prospects that have had more work done than this spot and never developed into a paying mine. Sometimes it was done dishonestly with the hope of attracting investors.

If I have been preaching to the choir please disregard. I don't know what your knowledge is and I seem to be a bit long winded. Hopefully it has helped.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Gambrinus: It is possible that Reid filed his claim under another name or it is filed under the name of his partner? According to a story written by Tom Kollenborn, Tom's father helped Reid with his mine from time to time and said that there was Silver in the mine however there was not enough pay dirt to make it profitable. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Gambrinus is right, Reid worked the prospect but never actually filed on it. That was a risk because someone could file over him and show up with a paper saying Reid had no right to be there. Tom Kollenborn wrote his father surveyed the claim for Reid so he could apply for the patent to the mine. That indicates Reid had already filed the claim officially. I think that's why Greg is searching for the claim record. After the Jinks report a lot of claim information in the Superstitions went missing. That information directly contradicted the Jinks report.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All: Does anybody have anything else to add to Abe Reid (Reed) toward his mines and his history? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread