Question about Geology

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261,

Yes and no. It all depends on the percentage of mercury in the cinnabar. Cinnabar can contain up to almost 90% mercury. Low grade cinnabar will contain calcite, pyrite, silica, bitumen but rarely be found with other, metallic minerals. The higher the grade the more likely it will be associated with sulphur, bismuth, arsenic, silver, gold and copper.

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261,

Yes and no. It all depends on the percentage of mercury in the cinnabar. Cinnabar can contain up to almost 90% mercury. Low grade cinnabar will contain calcite, pyrite, silica, bitumen but rarely be found with other, metallic minerals. The higher the grade the more likely it will be associated with sulphur, bismuth, arsenic, silver, gold and copper.

Here is a pic of some out in the Sups. Epithermal. But the copper had me. Will get some better pics, but some gold also.
View attachment 1871136 View attachment 1871139

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261,

This looks like a redeposit, the original episode in place then was altered by subsequent vulcanism. That is why the minerals appear scrambled, the second episode cooled quickly not allowing the minerals to complete percipitation. Yes there is some rich gold in that sample. I would guess any cinnabar associated would be very rich also, 70% Hg or better.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261,

Very nice sample. You certainly have fairly rich cinnabar HgS, a sulfide. And Au native gold and copper malachite. What I would be most interested in however would be the quantity of Au2S gold sulfide which you may not realize is present. The gold sulfide would be in the process of degrading to Au and could be the most valuable mineral in the deposit. I would get it analyzed. Not assayed, ...... analyzed.

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261,

Very nice sample. You certainly have fairly rich cinnabar HgS, a sulfide. And Au native gold and copper malachite. What I would be most interested in however would be the quantity of Au2S gold sulfide which you may not realize is present. The gold sulfide would be in the process of degrading to Au and could be the most valuable mineral in the deposit. I would get it analyzed. Not assayed, ...... analyzed.

So is the dark crystals just sulfide with whatever it bonded to? I thought it was all copper sulfide but the cinnebar. Thanks for your invaluable knowledge. Helps me understand the location I've been chasing. Understand why there would be a mine there ,just haven't found it yet. Ps. Any good place to get them analyzed? Know of one in Prescott, not cheap tho.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
So is the dark crystals just sulfide with whatever it bonded to? I thought it was all copper sulfide but the cinnebar. Thanks for your invaluable knowledge. Helps me understand the location I've been chasing. Understand why there would be a mine there ,just haven't found it yet. Ps. Any good place to get them analyzed? Know of one in Prescott, not cheap tho.
i would do it for you but i don't analyze mercury ores...i know another guy in phoenix with an xrf...i'll see if i can find his number for you

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261,

CRM Industries in Mesa is good but works mostly with fire assay. May be the cheapest and willing to work with you on specific requests.

Copper State Lab in Prescott good also and will do detailed analysis to your specs.

Skyline Lab in Tucson also good and will analyze to requested specifications.

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc4261,

CRM Industries in Mesa is good but works mostly with fire assay. May be the cheapest and willing to work with you on specific requests.

Copper State Lab in Prescott good also and will do detailed analysis to your specs.

Skyline Lab in Tucson also good and will analyze to requested specifications.

Thanks, Copper State Lab in Prescott is the one I knew. Couple hundred bux a piece. Not really up to spend that for a deposit I cant claim. Have about 10 different samples from different outcroppings in same area. So u can see would be expensive. But might get one or 2 to just get some answers anyways. I had thought of fire assay as they are cheaper, but glad u informed me not to go that route.

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All sulfides are sulfer, S, compounded with the copper, silver, gold, mercury, etc. So the dark black you see is its own mineral, probably zinc or lead again compounded with its own sulfide. In a metallic mineral like gold the sulphide, sulfer, will decay and degrade to native gold Au.

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All sulfides are sulfer, S, compounded with the copper, silver, gold, mercury, etc. So the dark black you see is its own mineral, probably zinc or lead again compounded with its own sulfide. In a metallic mineral like gold the sulphide, sulfer, will decay and degrade to native gold Au.

Again your knowledge is invaluable, I would of expected where this is located to be the top of the epithermal deposit, as how high up it is. But knowing the base metals are below the gold and silver zone. Have to rethink this, or it really is an anomaly. I thought the other 3 mines expected below would be in the gold and silver zone. More to ponder.. Thanks again my friend. Truly awesome info. Ps. The jumbled mess on your one reply makes sense now as it is in an area I believe to be a fault line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless u been to my cave , u prob haven't seen where I got these unless u like hanging over a straight cliff.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
mick...what is Gun.crieto.com?

Ohh my mistake, Fatfingered

Gum.crieto.com

Its usually a locked website. That’s where the pic’s come from.
There not Doc’s Pic’s The guy who own’s the pic’s is a dashing fellow from North Dakota.

Me

Babymick1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Ohh my mistake, Fatfingered

Gum.crieto.com

Its usually a locked website. That’s where the pic’s come from.
There not Doc’s Pic’s The guy who own’s the pic’s is a dashing fellow from North Dakota.

Me

Babymick1
still goes to the same site..some dating site

OP
OP
D

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There right here. If ya want them send me your address Babymick1. I'll give them to ya as long as u promise to stick them up yo azz. I can always get more... View attachment 1871322

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread