Spanish Racetrack . . .

Nov 3, 2020
St. Joseph, MO.
Primary Interest:
Other
What, exactly is the "Spanish Racetrack" mentioned in many Lost Dutchman threads, and what significance, (if any) does it have on the LDM legend? I know there are several people here who could tell me all kinds of things about it.

By way of introduction, I am a years-long lurker, but didn't join till today. I was born in Phoenix, raised in Glendale and moved to Kingman in 1981 and then Missouri in 1991. I've never set foot in the Superstitions, but I've read books about the Lost Dutchman story since I was a kid. And it always fascinated me. Still does. I've done lots of hiking in the Hualapai Mountains and Black Mountains of Mohave County, but never hiked in the Superstitions. I wish I had while I had the chance. . .

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Eddie and welcome to the forum.

The Spanish racetrack is a relatively flat stretch of land slightly southwest of Marsh Valley and north of Bluff Spring Mountains where Mexicans, presumably from the Peralta mining expeditions, were said to have raced horses during their down time or during festivities. If memory serves me correctly, the track was just two long, side by side, strips of clean sand. That area has also had other names, "Soldiers camp" and "Cowboy camp."

As far as being any sort of clue that might aid in the search for the LDM, the racetrack probably doesn't offer much, if anything.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other

The Spanish racetrack is a relatively flat stretch of land slightly southwest of Marsh Valley and north of Bluff Spring Mountains where Mexicans, presumably from the Peralta mining expeditions, were said to have raced horses during their down time or during festivities. If memory serves me correctly, the track was just two long, side by side, strips of clean sand. That area has also had other names, "Soldiers camp" and "Cowboy camp."

As far as being any sort of clue that might aid in the search for the LDM, the racetrack probably doesn't offer much, if anything.

Well, it does offer up the general area within the mountains.
At least for Spanish/Mexican miners, they were working the west side.
And the charcoal pits that were there, are also clues, as to general area of their camp.

OP
OP
Hualapai Eddie
Nov 3, 2020
St. Joseph, MO.
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank you for the welcome and the reply.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it does offer up the general area within the mountains.
At least for Spanish/Mexican miners, they were working the west side.
And the charcoal pits that were there, are also clues, as to general area of their camp.

It has long been rumored that Marsh Valley was the site of a large mining camp, and having been there, I can see how it could very well be. With Black Mountain at their back and Bluff Springs to their south, they could easily defend the area, and failing that, there were more than one way to escape: west to Needle Canyon where they could go south (north is too rocky and full of boulders), or go north or SE in Labarge. It also had a year round spring that never ran dry, even in the driest season.

That being said, there are many, many paths that lead from and to Marsh valley. Who knows which one leads to the LDM?

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Please feel free to continue. There are people here who are happy to answer intelligent questions.

Deducer

Telling Rumors is not intelligent questions it’s just spreading them. The whole area was mined. The ore was crushed and panned in several places but the gold was refined in one place Garden Valley. The Smelter is there to this day. It’s marked on the horse map of the Peralta Stones.

Babymick1

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deducer

Telling Rumors is not intelligent questions it’s just spreading them. The whole area was mined. The ore was crushed and panned in several places but the gold was refined in one place Garden Valley. The Smelter is there to this day. It’s marked on the horse map of the Peralta Stones.

Babymick1

Horse map has nothing to do with Garden Valley. but u keep believing that... Smiles

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Doc

I’ll make you a deal, Your going there soon as you stated. I’ll prove to you and only you with in 99.999
percent I’m right and can read the Stones and translate them in the field. It’s a short trip to garden valley so it’s not much time wasted for you. But now here’s your part if you don’t believe what you see is not correct post on here and let everyone know I’m full of sh#t. And if you believe what you see then you got to brag me up.

If Agreed pm me and I’ll send you what you need to do once you get to the garden.

Let me know

Babymick1 it’ll be worth your wild to accept the offer.

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't waste my time. Not the spot. Point blank. Period.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Never claimed it was the spot, it’s the key every thing there in locks the rest of the maps

Babymick1

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not even close. Keep dreaming. It's all good in the hood. Can't troll my spot from me. Will let all see if It is what it is. My pics of the cave have the quartz vein in the background. But I'm sure no one looked close enough. Lol. It's been infront of ya the whole time. Love how the irony comes full circle. The big reveal. Wasn't going to tell anyone. Maybe u should look again.. Just sayin. Gl on your adventures, but they are nothing on me.

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't follow where everyone else has gone and expect a different outcome. Why it has remained hidden. Gotta start from a different way. Blaze your own trail.

Last edited:

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Left the pics for 18 hrs, And with that I bid you adieu.

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Left the pics for 18 hrs, And with that I bid you adieu.

Your scout is the guy who took the video that you took the shots from. Taking more pic’s again. Sheez
I already know the area your in. Have fun be safe and try to take a picture of the gold.

Goodluck Babymick1

North of the Salt. Ha ha

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
What, exactly is the "Spanish Racetrack" mentioned in many Lost Dutchman threads, and what significance, (if any) does it have on the LDM legend? I know there are several people here who could tell me all kinds of things about it.

By way of introduction, I am a years-long lurker, but didn't join till today. I was born in Phoenix, raised in Glendale and moved to Kingman in 1981 and then Missouri in 1991. I've never set foot in the Superstitions, but I've read books about the Lost Dutchman story since I was a kid. And it always fascinated me. Still does. I've done lots of hiking in the Hualapai Mountains and Black Mountains of Mohave County, but never hiked in the Superstitions. I wish I had while I had the chance. . .

Welcome, Eddie!

I know the Spanish Racetrack has a place in the LDM legends, as discussed here by others. Not arguing with any opinions on it, but IMO the site is/was a seasonal Yavapai rancheria and the charcoal pits attributed to Mexican/Spanish miners might simply be where the Yavapai were roasting their Agave harvest.

Here's a good link on how Agaves were cultivated by many cultures in the SW:

https://marfapublicradio.org/blog/n...covering-an-ancient-history-of-agave-farming/

Like happened many times in the desert southwest and all over the world, it's possible that later miners may have simply re-occupied an earlier Indian site...and there may be a lot of truth to the LDM legends about mining camps in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread