Rendezvous 2020 presentation by Dr. Thomas Glover

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always liked Dennis Miller's take on the subject:

"Democrats and Republicans are basically the same except the Republicans are owned by a slightly less scary group of people!"

Mike

I'm guessing he said that before Jan. 6, 2021

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing he said that before Jan. 6, 2021

Considering the results of protest events during the previous year, I'm guessing what happened on Jan. 6 would have been far worse had their choice lost his bid for the job.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I would argue "Barry Storm" most certainly did "politize" his story when he wrote I Was Swindled By Red Movie Makers ​[1954]. Hardly the first - or the last - writer to be taken by Hollywood's creative accountants and accounting schemes, he portrayed his failure to be paid for his book on the enemy of the 1950's. He blamed the Red Menace without evidence.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent point, Bookaroo.

I had to laugh when I saw the lengths Storm would go to sell books. A tied-up nude woman on the cover, threats at every turn, commies behind every corner...classic Storm salesmanship!

Storm Commie Book.jpg

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Excellent point, Bookaroo.

I had to laugh when I saw the lengths Storm would go to sell books. A tied-up nude woman on the cover, threats at every turn, commies behind every corner...classic Storm salesmanship!

View attachment 1916767
i looked the book up online....they are going for $250......when storm wrote it...they were probably selling for twenty five cents ..lol

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I turned down a chance to purchase a copy for $100 -- now I'm sorry I didn't pick it up.

I believe there were two editions - both very small runs. I think they sold for about $2 each when they were published.

FYI - I've seen two spellings for John Clymenson - also Climenson. I don't know which one is correct. Perhaps if one looked up the copyright for this book, one would have the answer.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

PS: It really isn't much of a movie...

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storm could have cared less if he made any money from his, " I was swindled " book. It was purely written for revenge and to hurt the reputation of Columbia Pictures Corporation.

In 1947, Columbia Pictures bought the rights to Storms book, Thunder God's Gold. They told Storm they would write a screenplay based on his book and make a feature film based on it. Columbia led Storm to believe and Storm took that to mean Columbia would follow his storyline as written. Columbia however had a much different idea.

Columbia needed an adventure action film to rival Republic Pictures Treasure of the Sierra Madres. At first Columbia's film was called Bonanza but just before its finish was changed to, Lust for Gold.

The film butchered Storm's book even though the credits billed the picture, " the true story of a secret treasure based on the book Thunder God's Gold written by Barry Storm.

Columbia portrayed Storm as the grandson of Jacob Waltz and led audience to believe several other unsavory untruths about Storm and his personal life.

Storm was furious and sued Columbia to write out the lies about him and stick to the original books storyline. Columbia settled with Storm for a pittance then turned around and released the film the way they always planned to anyway.

Storm sued again but Columbia's lawyers bled him out of money and Storm was forced to walk away disgraced and empty handed.

Storm decided to get back at Columbia by writing a book that exposed their lies and treachery and used the red communist scare of the late 1940's to paint Columbia as dirty anti American communists. Storm wanted to tarnish Columbia's reputation just as they had tarnished his.

Storm's book, I was swindled by red movie makers, was financed by backers of Wisconsin Senator Joe McCarthy to aid in the red scare of the late 40s and early 50's. Storm made little or no money from the book sales but achieved his goal of striking back at Columbia for what they had done to him.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Storm could have cared less if he made any money from his, " I was swindled " book. It was purely written for revenge and to hurt the reputation of Columbia Pictures Corporation.

In 1947, Columbia Pictures bought the rights to Storms book, Thunder God's Gold. They told Storm they would write a screenplay based on his book and make a feature film based on it. Columbia led Storm to believe and Storm took that to mean Columbia would follow his storyline as written. Columbia however had a much different idea.

Columbia needed an adventure action film to rival Republic Pictures Treasure of the Sierra Madres. At first Columbia's film was called Bonanza but just before its finish was changed to, Lust for Gold.

The film butchered Storm's book even though the credits billed the picture, " the true story of a secret treasure based on the book Thunder God's Gold written by Barry Storm.

Columbia portrayed Storm as the grandson of Jacob Waltz and led audience to believe several other unsavory untruths about Storm and his personal life.

Storm was furious and sued Columbia to write out the lies about him and stick to the original books storyline. Columbia settled with Storm for a pittance then turned around and released the film the way they always planned to anyway.

Storm sued again but Columbia's lawyers bled him out of money and Storm was forced to walk away disgraced and empty handed.

Storm decided to get back at Columbia by writing a book that exposed their lies and treachery and used the red communist scare of the late 1940's to paint Columbia as dirty anti American communists. Storm wanted to tarnish Columbia's reputation just as they had tarnished his.

Storm's book, I was swindled by red movie makers, was financed by backers of Wisconsin Senator Eugene McCarthy to aid in the red scare of the late 40s and early 50's. Storm made little or no money from the book sales but achieved his goal of striking back at Columbia for what they had done to him.
you cant win against the big boys...you might get a few jabs in..but in the end you'll get KO'D:unhappysmiley:

OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Great info Matthew...regardless of his motivation (sales or revenge) he sure pulled out all the stops to get people to pick that book up.

Dave...I think Storm may have pulled a fast one or two himself on people over the years...sounds like Karma to me:laughing7:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Great info Matthew...regardless of his motivation (sales or revenge) he sure pulled out all the stops to get people to pick that book up.

Dave...I think Storm may have pulled a fast one or two himself on people over the years...sounds like Karma to me:laughing7:
yep..what goes around...comes around:laughing7:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dave...I think Storm may have pulled a fast one or two himself on people over the years...sounds like Karma to me:laughingClara bell.

Jim,

Storm was certainly not a saint himself but he fancied himself a Jack London, Earnest Hemingway type of writer and any slight to his ego set him off like 4th of July fireworks.

Its ironic because in real life Storm was much more liberal leaning. A union man and workers rights believer, much the same as Columbia Pictures leanings. He just used the communist angle to hurt them and I dont believe Storm thought for a minute Columbia sympathized or were communist members. The Senate hearings of 1954 showed Columbia was as American as Apple pie.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave, I think lots of locals like Bessie Loveless saw it that way ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other

Dave...I think Storm may have pulled a fast one or two himself on people over the years...sounds like Karma to me:laughingClara bell.

Jim,

Storm was certainly not a saint himself but he fancied himself a Jack London, Earnest Hemingway type of writer and any slight to his ego set him off like 4th of July fireworks.

Its ironic because in real life Storm was much more liberal leaning. A union man and workers rights believer, much the same as Columbia Pictures leanings. He just used the communist angle to hurt them and I dont believe Storm thought for a minute Columbia sympathized or were communist members. The Senate hearings of 1954 showed Columbia was as American as Apple pi.e

I'm sure it was a hard time for Storm and I do sympathize with what happened to him...but IMO he would have been better off to just take his licks and walk away, rather than lie about Columbia harboring communists. Bad time to be called a commie, that's for sure.

Excellent perspective and info, Matthew, thanks for posting it.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I'm sure it was a hard time for Storm and I do sympathize with what happened to him...but IMO he would have been better off to just take his licks and walk away, rather than lie about Columbia harboring communists. Bad time to be called a commie, that's for sure.

anytime you are dealing with the hollywood crowd there is one thing you can be sure of...your going to end up with the dirty end of the stick...storm was an intelligent man..you'd think he would have known this:dontknow:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

exactly...thanks matthew

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
A great many years later, Art Buchwald sued over not getting the promised fee for his treatment that became the very successful "Coming to America" movie with Eddie Murphy.

Not "successful" according to "Hollywood accounting," however - which isn't exactly GAAP.

It's common for Hollywood producers to offer novices a cut of the profits. But there never are any profits, no matter how many tickets are sold. Experienced players get their piece "above the line."

From memory (sometimes memory services - sometimes it double-faults) Buchwald won and did collect for his idea. But he was a very rare bird.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

Yes, of course it was Joe McCarthy who ran the communist senate hearings. I had ultra liberal Eugene on my mind.

Al Reser told me a story about Storm and the fallout from Columbia's lies about him in the Lust for Gold movie.
Storm was at his usual hangout the Chiriaco pass near Indio, California and his jade mine in the desert. Storm often stayed there at the cafe, motel and gas stop at the pass. Three men came in and asked for Storm and someone pointed him out. The three men got Storm to go outside with them then tried to kidnap him. Evidently the three men believed Storm to be the grandson of Waltz and were going to make Storm take them to the mine that was sealed in the earthquake in the Lust for Gold movie. Storm narrowly escaped when a California State trooper pulled off interstate 10 to get some gas.

Storm told Al this story sometime around 1960.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions