Haywood story

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading threads a long time and I have enjoyed boots on the ground in those wonderful mountains every year. Can any one elaborate on the Haywood story, found it quite interesting but not much information on it.
Thanks
Macguiver

Hi Macguiver and welcome to the topic.

Here is a link to the Haywood story written by Tom Kollenborn https://www.ajpl.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Haywood-Story.pdf. This version is the most known between Dutchman hunters and I believe is the most accurate.
Now, IMHO the route told by Haywood to Kochera is wrong, and in some way he added supplementary info for unknown reason, maybe to deceive. What support the opinion that Haywood told the story to deceive, is the map drawn by Haywood, which follows the route in the story.
After decades of researching in the area shown in the map and told in the Haywood route, nobody was able to find the mine, facts which show how the Natives are not willing to reveal known gold mines to other people.
IMO, the Haywood mine is the same with Two soldiers, Joe Deering, John Carrol, Gonzalez, and is described also in the Salazar survey story

OP
OP
M

macguiver

Nov 4, 2018
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar, Thank you so much for your response. Yes I have read that article which triggered my interest. After reading your response I started digging into the polka story and the Salazar survey story, wow, so much to take in, but fun. I will continue to digest this information as I plan my next trip out there, There are so many stories and speculations that must be narrowed down to my best educated guess to where to hike and look in my short visit out there this time. Thank you,,Macguiver

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also believe GrandmaK family is the " legal " owner, because John Kochera was the last man who got clues from Haywood for this mine and went in the mountains to search for it.
Kochera was luckless to find Haywood mine because the wrong clues, but the Spirit of the mountain gave him a different smaller recompense for his try and believe.

OP
OP
M

macguiver

Nov 4, 2018
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar,
I revisited my search into the Haywood story, found a interesting YouTube video narration(Chasing Legends 152: The John Kochera Story). I can only hope the spirit of the mountain would be so kind as to allow me a small find. The thing that is interesting to me is all the clues to the Dutchman mine that I filtered thru can be in the general area of Mr. Kochera story, of course that is a big area. I will continue to chew on this as I wait for my trip this fall.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a GE image of the Haywood mine ( marked with the four stones ), looking downward. As you can see at the bottom of the wash is an old arrastra ruins, about 40 meters from the mine like was written in Ortiz letter. It's this arrastra the same with that found and mentioned by William Edwards few years after the Mexicans massacre?

View attachment 1900283

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a GE image of the Haywood mine ( marked with the four stones ), looking downward. As you can see at the bottom of the wash is an old arrastra ruins, about 40 meters from the mine like was written in Ortiz letter. It's this arrastra the same with that found and mentioned by William Edwards few years after the Mexicans massacre?

View attachment 1900283

Interstesting.

My thought it was here from my limited search online.

Screenshot_20210206-200423.png

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1900283

Marius - do you have any photos of the stones and arrastra ruins from the ground? I'm not much into GE images for things like that - sure would like to see these up close in photos.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius - do you have any photos of the stones and arrastra ruins from the ground? I'm not much into GE images for things like that - sure would like to see these up close in photos.

Hi Paul

Unfortunately I have not any photos of that arrastra. But I post another two different GE images from different years, now upward to have the arrastra closer. I hope now you will recognize it.

View attachment 1900802 View attachment 1900803

Last edited:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Paul

Unfortunately I have not any photos of that arrastra. But I post another two different GE images from different years, now upward to have the arrastra closer. I hope now you will recognize it.

View attachment 1900802 View attachment 1900803

Marius - I wish I did, but I just don't see anything that definitively tells me there is the ruins of an arrastra there. On the ground photos might convince me - maybe someday you or someone else can post close ups of the area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread