Lost mine searches in the Superstition Mountains

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
136737189_2811114639159159_2981994459445965173_n.jpg

For some, the search for lost mines and caches in the Superstition Mountains is as much about the experience as it is the finding. Some here have spent considerable time in those mountains, riding, packing, hiking, camping, prospecting, digging, even filing and working mining claims. A few of us are left who knew and remember some of the old timers, Chuck Aylor, Abe Reid, Brownie Holmes, Tex and Bill Barkley, AL Reser, Crazy Jake, Roy Bradford, Richard Peck, Clarence Mitchell, Doc Rosecrans, Monty Edwards, Ron Lorenz and many others now passed on.

The day of the true Dutch hunter is almost gone. I can just about count on both hands the number of serious searchers who still maintain secret camps back in those mountains and put a pick in the ground.

Does anyone have any actual accounts of finding gold in the Superstition Mountains. A real account that you can talk about. Where and when you found it, how you found it, who you were with, what did you conclude from the find, are there photos of the gold and the area. I read so many stories here of fabulous gold and treasure finds but never any details. I know there have been some actual finds, not someone's wild fantasy and would like to see and hear about them.

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an old Colonial Spanish military button, in use from 1650 to 1750.
Its not gold, but may be of interest to someone, this was recovered from what I believe was a Colonial Spanish base camp in the Superstition mountains. View attachment 1898825

Alan m,

That's a great find and may have real significance. What I'm looking for is the specifics. Who found it. When. What specific place. Was anything else found. Why do you believe the place was a camp. Are there photos of the place it was found. The specifics may be valuable to someone else's work or previous finds in the mountains. The details are what is important, not just that it was found.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.5-3 oz gold per ton ore. I have the assay somewhere in my dads papers. Filled a few 55 gal barrels, for a trial run. Back in the late 60’s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions