Shots fired at Weavers Needle

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you enjoyed what I had to say about the Estrella Mountains so I decided to write about another memory from my days in Phoenix.
In the early 1960's I was a student at North Phoenix Highschool. I remember one of my friends telling me that he and another friend or two decided to climb to the top of Weavers Needle. he said they began the climb and that there was a steel cable from the top down that they were using to climb up the needle. He said they were part way up when suddenly someone started shooting at them. The climbers quickly got off the needle and left the area.
From my reading the shooter was probably from the Ed Piper or more likely the Celeste Jones Group. I don't think the shooter was trying to actually hit the climbers but wanted to scare them off. And they were scared off.
The book "Quest for the Dutchman's gold" by Robert Sikorsky has a lot about the Celeste Jones group. For awhile Robert Sikorsky was part of the Celeste Jones group.
I always wanted to try to climb Weavers Needle, but moved to NM in 1970 and I have been here ever since.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Some of you enjoyed what I had to say about the Estrella Mountains so I decided to write about another memory from my days in Phoenix.
In the early 1960's I was a student at North Phoenix Highschool. I remember one of my friends telling me that he and another friend or two decided to climb to the top of Weavers Needle. he said they began the climb and that there was a steel cable from the top down that they were using to climb up the needle. He said they were part way up when suddenly someone started shooting at them. The climbers quickly got off the needle and left the area.
From my reading the shooter was probably from the Ed Piper or more likely the Celeste Jones Group. I don't think the shooter was trying to actually hit the climbers but wanted to scare them off. And they were scared off.
The book "Quest for the Dutchman's gold" by Robert Sikorsky has a lot about the Celeste Jones group. For awhile Robert Sikorsky was part of the Celeste Jones group.
I always wanted to try to climb Weavers Needle, but moved to NM in 1970 and I have been here ever since.
i agree..sikorsky's book is one of the best NON fiction reads on the supers....basically he tells of his times working with marie jones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread