Did Herman Petrasch give a newspaper interview the day before he died?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I have heard that Herman Petrasch gave a newspaper interview the day before he died.
Does anyone have a copy of that interview?
i dont think it was a newspaper interview..it was for desert magazine...if you google Herman and mary bagwell you'll find it

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I have heard that Herman Petrasch gave a newspaper interview the day before he died.
Does anyone have a copy of that interview?
195401 Desert Magazine Petrasch1.jpeg 195401 Desert Magazine Petrasch2.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Azdave, thank you very much!

OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I just read the article. Herman sure didn't reveal many secrets in his last interview.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting, Herman insists the name was Walzer, but is second hand information via his brother Rhinhart.
What is that .....
was it really Walzer?
was it just how Herman heard it, the first time .... and just stuck?
very curious.

Also mentions 2 mines ..... about a mile apart.
The one called placer, perhaps closer to Weavers Needle, than the quartz gold hidden mine.....

Interesting article.
Dave, thanks for posting info on it.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold ore under his bed, was in quartz.
Herman’s account is that the 2 men did not mine the quartz mine. Too dangerous.
Where did quartz ore under bed come from?

Impression I got, was that the box of gold ore under the bed, was in quartz, many, many pounds of it.
Maybe Herman only got limited information from Rhiney.

How long after Herman came to help Rhiney, did the falling out happen?
Maybe Herman simply did not get more information in their time together?

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I do have another question about Herman’s account, about how the quartz gold mine was located.
Herman says the 2 Jacobs were working the placer mine, when heard breaking of rock ....... Herman said quartz mine a mile away?
It is a mile away, but breaking rock with a hammer, could not only be heard, but could be located??
Since Herman passed away without giving comment on final article accuracy, we have more potential muddying of the water.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Ok, I do have another question about Herman’s account, about how the quartz gold mine was located.
Herman says the 2 Jacobs were working the placer mine, when heard breaking of rock ....... Herman said quartz mine a mile away?
It is a mile away, but breaking rock with a hammer, could not only be heard, but could be located??
Since Herman passed away without giving comment on final article accuracy, we have more potential muddying of the water.
i wouldn't put much stock in any interview herman gave...he had a spewl he told the tourist's but as far as i know he only gave the real account of what he knew to one man

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave,
That makes more sense. At least explains some.
The thing about the name Walzer ..... just more of the spew?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,
That makes more sense. At least explains some.
The thing about the name Walzer ..... just more of the spew?
who knows for sure...that might be the name rhiney and julia told him...or it may have been jacob's real name..hard to verify at this point in time......andy synbad befriended herman in the last few years of his life and they became good friends,,,,they both were german and spoke the language so that helped...also andy never tried to pry any info on the dutchman from herman and he told andy he respected him for that and as a reward he gave andy everything he had on the dutchman before he died...including waltz's pinfire revolver...so he basiclly passed the torch to andy..and before andy died he passed the torch to another local man...i wont say his name because he is still alive and active in the mountains

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, is clear Herman had confused the gold alluvial placer with the gold residual placer/outcrop which Waltz had worked. Also if Herman would knew the correct region , he would found the LDM for himself.

IMHO, the real story went like this: While Waltz and Wiser were working the alluvial gold placer at the bend across the ex- marked saguaro ( later Al Morrow's claim ) in Needle Canyon, have heard sounds like someone was breaking rocks and they decided to go there and to see what was going on. Reaching close to the source of the sound, they spotted few men working a mine.
- Here could be a version of two Mexicans working the mine, and after Waltz left Wiser as a hidden sniper, spoke with them ( the eight mines mention ), saw the ore and decided they should kill the Mexicans before the Mexicans would kill them. The second version is how they spotted few men who looked like Indians and they decided to kill them without many thoughts.-
Once Waltz and Wiser got the gold mine ( the LDM inclined shaft ) and worked it for a short time, decided to give a better look to the surrounding region, and while they were researching the down slope from the Inclined shaft, stumbled upon the residual gold placer ( see Dr. Thorne story ) which they started to dig and later becoming the second LDM mine, that which is mentioned how holds a big cache of ore and how was covered in a Maxican manner.

Waltz clues are for both LDM inclined shaft and LDM residual placer, but someone has to know where are located to be able to sort them correctly.

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
To me, is clear Herman had confused the gold alluvial placer with the gold residual placer/outcrop which Waltz had worked. Also if Herman would knew the correct region , he would found the LDM for himself.

IMHO, the real story went like this: While Waltz and Wiser were working the alluvial gold placer at the bend across the ex- marked saguaro ( later Al Morrow's claim ) in Needle Canyon, have heard sounds like someone was breaking rocks and they decided to go there and to see what was going on. Reaching close to the source of the sound, they spotted few men working a mine.
- Here could be a version of two Mexicans working the mine, and after Waltz left Wiser as a hidden sniper, spoke with them ( the eight mines mention ), saw the ore and decided they should kill the Mexicans before the Mexicans would kill them. The second version is how they spotted few men who looked like Indians and they decided to kill them without many thoughts.-
Once Waltz and Wiser got the gold mine ( the LDM inclined shaft ) and worked it for a short time, decided to give a better look to the surrounding region, and while they were researching the down slope from the Inclined shaft, stumbled upon the residual gold placer ( see Dr. Thorne story ) which they started to dig and later becoming the second LDM mine, that which is mentioned how holds a big cache of ore and how was covered in a Maxican manner.

Waltz clues are for both LDM inclined shaft and LDM residual placer, but someone has to know where are located to be able to sort them correctly.

Markmar,
According to Herman, the other mine location (the quartz gold one), is a mile farther than the one one he called placer ......
the Julia/Rhiney directions from Waltz, was to enter the range from the South. It would stand to reason, that the 2nd location was somewhat North of the first ....... by about a mile.

Is that the location you are talking about?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar,
According to Herman, the other mine location (the quartz gold one), is a mile farther than the one one he called placer ......
the Julia/Rhiney directions from Waltz, was to enter the range from the South. It would stand to reason, that the 2nd location was somewhat North of the first ....... by about a mile.

Is that the location you are talking about?

First of all, you are wrong on the statement that Herman said how between the mines is a mile distance. Herman said how both mines , Placer and Quartz, are one mile afar from their camp near the spring, and not from the alluvial placer ( to answer and for your another question in another thread ). A missed comma after the words " a second mine " produces the confusement.

text.png

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, you are wrong on the statement that Herman said how between the mines is a mile distance. Herman said how both mines , Placer and Quartz, are one mile afar from their camp near the spring, and not from the alluvial placer ( to answer and for your another question in another thread ). A missed comma after the words " a second mine " produces the confusement.

View attachment 1909366

Markmar,
Thanks for explaining your position.
I do believe that I have read the punctuation correctly, and that additional information after the comma, are for the latter only, not the former, or both.
It is how I was taught English.
I did not enjoy English, but I’m confident of my take of what that particular comma means.

There might be an English major around ... but reality is we don’t know if Herman was speaking with commas in the interview. ???:laughing7::laughing7:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Markmar,
I think the usage of the word “and” was used to also talk about the 2nd mine, which was a mile farther.
But you may interpret however you wish :)

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

View attachment 1909366
is this a quote from barry storm?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar,
I think the usage of the word “and” was used to also talk about the 2nd mine, which was a mile farther.
But you may interpret however you wish :)

Idahodutch

At that point in the interview, Herman has not mentioned yet about the Quartz mine, so he wanted to explain what that mine would be. Was reporter's or editor's mistake of how this meaning was changed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread