Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FB_IMG_1620059799917.jpg

Photo of Walter Gassler taken 1935.

Thirty seven years ago, May 4, 1984, Walter Gassler died in the Superstition Mountains while searching for the Lost Dutchman Mine.

Walter Gassler was well-liked by all who met him and a very lintelligent and adventurous man. He was born in Schlatt, Switzerland in 1902. Walter was the only member of his family to come to the United States. In September of 1922 he landed at Ellis Island from Charbourg France. He lived and worked in New York for a time upon his arrival and later lived in New Orleans and San Francisco before arriving in Arizona in 1932.

Walter was a chef by trade, trained in Europe and some of the finest kitchens in New Orleans and San Francisco. Walter came to Arizona to work at the prestigious Biltmore Hotel but also prepared food at the Hyatt Regency, Paradise Valley Country Club and other fine dining establishments around the Valley of the Sun. Walter became a naturalized US Citizen in August of 1940 in Phoenix Arizona.

Walter was actually his middle name. His given name was Karl. He switched his first name to Walter in 1941 because of his heavy Swiss (German) accent and the discrimination against German immigrants leading up to WWII. He always went by Walter from that time on. He said it sounded more American and made him feel more accepted.

Walter learned everything he could about the Lost Dutchman mine and Jacob Waltz. He spent considerable time in the Bancroft Library in Berkley California and other repositories of books and documents, reading everything he could find about Waltz, the Peralta's and anything related to the lost mine legends and tales.

He spent time in the Superstition Mountains in the late 1920's before he resided in Arizona, making annual treks into the mountains searching for Waltz's lost mine. When he came to Arizona to settle he spent considerable time at Tex Barkley's Quarter Circle U ranch on the edge of the Superstition Mountains and became close friends with Barkley and his family.

Walter met and married Hilda Hatfield in Lordsburg New Mexico in August of 1937. The Gassler’s had two children, a son and a daughter. Walter's wife and children did not share his enthusiasm for the Superstition Mountains or the Lost Dutchman Mine but Walter continued to make treks into the mountains searching for the mine whenever he could get away. For several years he was absent from the Superstitions but after his retirement he renewed his search for the lost mine.

One day at the Quarter Circle U ranch Walter and Tex Barkley were talking and Barkley told Walter a strange and intriguing story. He confessed to Walter that in 1931 he had found the body of Adolph Ruth, a missing lost mine hunter on Peters Mesa. Barkley went on to say he and one of his wranglers, Tom Dickens, transported Ruth’s body off the Mesa and left it in a canyon where it was eventually found on the northeast side of Black Top Mesa.

According to Walter, Tex gave conflicting reasons for doing this. He told Walter he moved the body because he didn’t want hordes of people swarming all over his cattle range scattering his herd but also said that he had found a map on Ruth and with some friends followed that map to a cave marked on that map that was supposed to be the key to finding the lost mine. Barkley said this cave was located somewhere in the vicinity of Peters Mesa. Once at the cave however, Barkley and the others were unable to locate the mine.

Tex Barkley went on to tell Walter that if he were to find the lost mine it would be somewhere in the vicinity of that cave and encouraged Walter to keep searching for it.

Walter continued his searching whenever time allowed him a few days away from work and family. He established a camp on Peters Mesa in a thick Laurel grove of trees on the west side of the Mesa. Walters camp was well hidden in that Laurel grove and unless you knew it was in there you would never guess it was there. This was important because Crazy Jake had his camp on the west edge of Peters Mesa not far from Walter’s Laurel grove. Crazy Jake caused a lot of trouble on the Mesa in those days and Walter wanted nothing to do with Jake and his hired men.

After an absence of several years from the mountains Walter Gassler renewed his search for the Lost Dutchman Mine in the twilight of his years. Walter was now in his 80's and had written a 70-page manuscript that told the story of his 50-year search for the lost mine. Walter had located a mine that he believed to be the Lost Dutchman and had contacted a Los Angeles author and film maker named Robert Lee. He corresponded with Lee for several months and Lee planned to make a documentary of Walters manuscript. All that was left for Walter to do was prove his mine was the Lost Dutchman. For that Walter needed to claim the mine and collect samples of ore from the site.

So at the age of 82 Walter went back into the Superstition Mountains. His first trip back to his old camp in the Laurel grove ended badly. Walter realized he was in no condition to hike the mountains as he once had. He came back out of the Superstitions that time without realizing his goal. At this point he knew he needed help to claim his mine and finish the work for Lee’s documentary.

One of the things that prompted Walter to speed up his claim was the Superstition Wilderness deadline. On January 1, 1984 the area of Walter’s mine became wilderness and he would lose all rights to his find unless he filed on it before midnight of December 31, 1983.

It was the fall of 1983 when Walter contacted me and asked me for help. My camp on Peters Mesa was very near Walter’s and Walter had always had access to water, food and equipment I had cached on the Mesa whenever he was in the mountains. Walter asked me to go into the mountains and put up his claim monuments before the December 31st deadline. With the corner and center claim monuments erected Walter could go to the courthouse in Phoenix and file the claim papers with the recorder and everything would be legal. Walter supplied me with his topographic map which had the mine location marked and how he wanted the claim laid out. Then he filled out the claim location paper and gave it to me to put in a glass jar at the center monument of his claim.

I was able to put up Walter’s claim markers just before Christmas of 1983. I also took a few ore samples from the site as Walter had directed.

In April of 1984 Walter at last felt he was able to make the hike into his mine to take samples for himself and photograph the mine for Lee’s documentary. At that time however Crazy Jake was causing a lot of trouble in Walter’s area and Walter did not want to have problems with Jake or make the trip by himself. Walter contacted the Tonto National Forest office at Mesa and asked about Crazy Jakes activities. The Mesa Forest Service told him Jake was indeed camped in the area and to use extreme caution around him.

Robert Lee had told Walter it would be advisable for him to take someone into the mountains with him that would be a reliable witness to Walter’s claim of finding the Lost Dutchman Mine. Someone of integrity and well known throughout Arizona who would vouch for Walters claim.

In April of 1984 Walter approached two such men and asked each of them if they would accompany him into the Superstitions to see his mine. Both men flatly refused his requests.

Early on the morning of Monday April 30, 1984, Walter Gassler made his final trek into the Superstition Mountains alone. His wife reluctantly drove Walter to the First Water trailhead and dropped him off. Five days later, on Friday May 4, 1984 two Apache Junction men on horseback came upon Walter Gassler sitting on a rock along the Peter's Mesa trail above Charley-Boy spring. Walter was dead and further up the trail were several armed men milling around looking down on the scene. The two riders identified the men above as some of Crazy Jakes hired men. Not wanting to become involved with Jake or his men neither rider dismounted. Neither rider knew Walter and thought the death may have been due to some confrontation between Jakes men and the deceased. Realizing they could do nothing for the dead man both riders hurriedly turned around and left the scene to report the death to the authorities.

When the Pinal County Sheriff’s deputy arrived at the scene he found Walter exactly as the two riders had found him. It appeared to him Walter had died of a heart attack and later the Pinal County coroner confirmed that fact although no autopsy was done.

Among Walter’s possessions that he had with him at his death was a backpack that was reported to have contained a small amount of gold ore. Ore that Walter had most probably collected from his mine. Somehow that backpack with the ore went missing as did other items of Walter’s when someone pretending to be Walter’s son requested he be given his father’s possessions. No one has ever found who the man who claimed to be Walter’s son was.

After Walter’s death a television documentary was done on Walter Gassler and his discovery but it wasn’t the documentary Walter and Robert Lee had planned. The television show Unsolved Mysteries did a half-hour nationwide broadcast on the events surrounding Walter’s life long search and ultimate death in the Superstition Mountains.

Sadly, Robert Lee died in Los Angeles some time after Walter’s death and all hope for the Lee-Gassler documentary died with him. Walter Gassler did leave behind his manuscript which is a fascinating story of his search and a look into the way things were in the Superstitions in the 1930’s through the 1980’s. That manuscript can be found at the Superstition Mountain Museum in Apache Junction.

Walter Gassler will always be remembered as one of the legendary characters of the Superstition Mountains and his search for the Lost Dutchman Goldmine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title fixed.... :icon_thumleft:

rk85044

Aug 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title fixed.... :icon_thumleft:

Fascinating story!
Questions linger though from your account...

Mr Roberts... you said....

"I was able to put up Walter’s claim markers just before Christmas of 1983. I also took a few ore samples from the site as Walter had directed."

Was Gasslers claim made official?
You know where the claim was... care to fill us in?
where were the samples you took from... a cave...a wash...do you have pics?
what is your first hand account of Gassler's find... is it the ldm in your opinion or not?

thank you sir!

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating story!
Questions linger though from your account...

Mr Roberts... you said....

"I was able to put up Walter’s claim markers just before Christmas of 1983. I also took a few ore samples from the site as Walter had directed."

Was Gasslers claim made official?
You know where the claim was... care to fill us in?
where were the samples you took from... a cave...a wash...do you have pics?
what is your first hand account of Gassler's find... is it the ldm in your opinion or not?

thank you sir!

rk85044,

FB_IMG_1620187376557.jpg

Yes, Walter followed through with his claim but I was not a part of that process and cannot speak to those specifics. I simply put up the claim monuments and placed Walters location paper in the center monument as directed. The rest was up to Walter to take care of. I was not a partner with Walter on this claim, I was just helping out an old friend. I respected his confidence as he did mine.

The photo shows a small piece of grayish white quartz with a single piece of visible gold I took from Walter's claim when I put up the monuments. I took several samples that day and gave all but one to Walter. The photo shows the piece of gold sitting on a map in the "general" location of the claim which would be the far north end of Peters Mesa and Pistol Canyon.

All the samples I took came from inside an adit if you are familiar with mining terms.

Walter believed the mine was the Lost Dutchman and it has some things about it that do fit. I do not believe it is the Dutchman although I personally do not know where the Dutchman Mine is for certain so cannot rule it out 100%.

I have several photos Walter's claim. I have not yet put that claim behind me and may do something with it yet before I leave the mountains for good.

rk85044

Aug 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you sir
i believe you should write a book on your
ldm years! I'd buy it!

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, please write a book. That would be real Superstition Mountain treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread