Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently you missed the part where Jim and his friend Kurt threatened people who tried to trespass on their "secret" places.

I remember Kurt "hiding in da bushes" Painter making threats like that....yes. But that was after Jim passed away. I doubt he would have dared to do so, had Jim survived his illness.
Neither I, nor Paul received any such threats from Jim, even though he knew I had been hiking in his favorite area for years before we first spoke to each other or met.
Did you ?

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember Kurt "hiding in da bushes" Painter making threats like that....yes. But that was after Jim passed away. I doubt he would have dared to do so, had Jim survived his illness.
Neither I, nor Paul received any such threats from Jim, even though he knew I had been hiking in his favorite area for years before we first spoke to each other or met.
Did you ?

Where to start ? One day we will have to sit down together and I will fill you in on some things that you wouldn't believe.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to start ? One day we will have to sit down together and I will fill you in on some things that you wouldn't believe.

One day maybe. I've heard a few stories myself.
It's one of the reasons I highly recommend new folks go to the Rendezvous. Once you have been there a few times, and had the opportunity to get to know the who's who and listen to their stories and advice, it becomes much easier to understand how the different "camps' play such an important part in the history of the sups/ldm/stone maps etc.
And for me at least, the Rendezvous has also given me the chance to observe how certain individuals interact....or avoid.... each other.

Do you have any photos of the cinnabar/mercury mine ?
BTW......don't know if you noticed, but I realized by the way we were getting off track, that I had written "cinnabar" in my original post about the video where I actually meant to say hematite. I've now edited that post.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

vastterrain

Sep 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hematite deposit where the mine featured in the video lies is within the borders of this GE crop.
Despite it's size.....at least twice the height of the tunnel JW described...... it's very difficult to pinpoint the exact position for anyone who hasn't been there.

View attachment 1937533

That mine is in Fish Creek on the south side of the road from the large parking lot going east at the bottom , as well thats fish creek where they were trying to make it look like they were panning. Just more youtuber shenanigan's. These pics are of the same mine i took many years ago
IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0856.JPG

Also you can see the mine from the parking lot.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More.....

Fish Creek Lodge...

Fish Creek Station.jpg

FCL.jpg

From Fish Creek Hill...

FC from FC hill.jpg

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reality tv is definitely the downfall of america ..apparently the 9th commandment means nothing to these people:dontknow:

I'd enjoy one done about the pit mine....with you and Ron in it Dave.
But then again.... I get a kick outa South Park too.:laughing7:

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
More.....

Fish Creek Lodge...

attachment.php

attachment.php

From Fish Creek Hill...

Here's one from the paper, looks like the same building as in your postcard.

attachment.php

Curious as to your findings/ideas that the Doc Thorne story had something to do with this area ;)

Attachments

• FC Station.jpg
    FC Station.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 189

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one from the paper, looks like the same building as in your postcard.

attachment.php

Curious as to your findings/ideas that the Doc Thorne story had something to do with this area ;)

In part....."The mine and panning sequences were shot close to where there was a Yavapai/Apache rancheria (village) site out near Apache Lake. It was mentioned by Mike Burns.....aka "Hoomothya"... in his autobiography ( he called it quail's roost ), as well as in two other accounts (by Captain William Brown and John G. Bourke ) of the sequence leading up to the battle of Skull Cave....aka Massacre at Skeleton Cave. Lots of history out that way."

That camp, in a wash towards the north end of Bronco Butte and across from the ADOT yard, was close enough to where one would have been able to hear, on a still night, the sound of the Salt River rapids which are now under Apache Lake. The other camp mentioned, was probably the one across the river, where Willow Creek entered the Salt, also now under the lake.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
In part....."The mine and panning sequences were shot close to where there was a Yavapai/Apache rancheria (village) site out near Apache Lake. It was mentioned by Mike Burns.....aka "Hoomothya"... in his autobiography ( he called it quail's roost ), as well as in two other accounts (by Captain William Brown and John G. Bourke ) of the sequence leading up to the battle of Skull Cave....aka Massacre at Skeleton Cave. Lots of history out that way."

That camp, in a wash towards the north end of Bronco Butte and across from the ADOT yard, was close enough to where one would have been able to hear, on a still night, the sound of the Salt River rapids which are now under Apache Lake. The other camp mentioned, was probably the one across the river, where Willow Creek entered the Salt, also now under the lake.
pretty close to the old USAF recreation area called waterdog

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
pretty close to the old USAF recreation area called waterdog

Closer to the IV Ranch, north of the road, I think...on the back side of the little red hills? This about right, Wayne?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 337

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm. I see what you're saying.

Regarding the red mine, I might be all mixed up as it's been over 30 yrs. since I've been in there, but I would've sworn it was here:

attachment.php

Looked to me like they were working an outcrop up above, and decided to tunnel to intercept whatever they were after, but they didn't hit anything.

EDIT: I think I'm one hill too far over.

Anyway, I talked to a guy that swore up and down that he found an old Mexican mine up there on the NW side of Bronco back in the '50's. There's alot of old prospects up there, I was probably in that very mine at one time or another. None of them amounted to much. I wanted to get more info from him, but he passed away before I could get back out there.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This shows about where everything is, as I recall....

FC overlook.jpg

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
This shows about where everything is, as I recall....

attachment.php

Yes...I figured out I was one hill over to the east from where it should be, after I posted the pic and saw where the curve in the road was...too far from Fish Creek.

I flogged Fish Creek and Lewis and Pranty pretty hard sample panning when I was a teenager. I figured I was going to find the gold and work my way up to the LDM :laughing7:

Dave, I know you've told me before but I can't remember...was Waterdog on Davis Cr or was it up at Burnt Corral?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Yes...I figured out I was one hill over to the east from where it should be, after I posted the pic and saw where the curve in the road was...too far from Fish Creek.

I flogged Fish Creek and Lewis and Pranty pretty hard sample panning when I was a teenager. I figured I was going to find the gold and work my way up to the LDM :laughing7:

Dave, I know you've told me before but I can't remember...was Waterdog on Davis Cr or was it up at Burnt Corral?
davis wash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread