Doc Thorne gold...Is it an easier legend than the LDM
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree352Likes

Thread: Doc Thorne gold...Is it an easier legend than the LDM

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2021
    Chandler, Az
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Doc Thorne gold...Is it an easier legend than the LDM

The Lost Dutchman Mine has had many false experts, and clues...Is the simple story of Doc Thorne easier? Fewer stories mean more truth. The story of Doc Thorne is easier to follow and has less maps. So maybe if we could find historical evidence of this we could all be closer to an answer. We should also look into the lost Dragoon pistols. There has only been one story on those lost Dragoon pistols...and I am looking for historical evidence...If we cannot find the Lost Dutchman Gold mine, maybe with military records, we can find those lost crate of pistols...Lets find them

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    3482 times
    No, both are equal, as both fall under the category "Legend". Though fun to research as often they have sprinkles of truth in them (places, times, names), the larger claim that makes a legend legendary (usually some sort of lost immense wealth) is at best, wishful thinking and at worst, the stuff of imagination.

I'm a real hoot at parties as you can imagine....

leg​end | \ ˈle-jənd \ Noun

1a: a story coming down from the past
    especially : one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable
    b: a popular myth
    Last edited by GoDeep; Jun 02, 2021 at 01:36 AM.
    Idahodutch and Fat like this.
    US Army, Operation Desert Storm, 1987-1993. Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3703 times
    LDM
    Superstition explorer,
    Welcome to Treasurenet forums

So the thread question ....
    that is an interesting question. If I remember the story right, Doc Thorne was taken blindfolded to to a pile of gold, and told he could take as much as he could carry.
    A one time gift.

Even if someone could find the spot where that gift was made, was it only a place of transaction?
    Could have been a mule load left from the Peralta massacre .... could be lots of explanations.
    But this is a personal decision for you to make. Maybe this one is calling you.

Why do people choose what they choose?
    Could go nuts trying to figure that one

gr
    Oct 2012
    White's Spectrum XLT
    5738 times
    IMHO, and from the description of the site told by Doc Thorne, the gold placer from which he took the gold, was what Waltz found later as the residual placer of a gold vein in quartz outcroping. Is what we know as the LDM " Placer ", which Waltz stated had more gold than quartz.

Read the Bark notes on Doc Thorne story and you will understand where that rich deposit was located.

Bark Notes Page 36 (Thomas Probert published version):
    Dr. Thorne said as the Indians unblindfolded his eyes at the mine -

"We went carefully down the trail on the side of the canyon and when we got down onto a little flat, there was an inclined pit. Quite a lot of work had been done, and the gold could be seen lying around in the quartz that had been brought up out of the pit, and evidently discarded as not being rich enough."

"I was standing on the edge of a deep and very steep canyon, high up. To my left was a spur and on the spur was a light-colored ruin of an old stone corral - not an Indian ruin, but very old and it looked as though it was Aztec.

...."We started back, but they did not blindfold me until we got to the horses. In the meantime, we walked through a hole or cave, and it had a lot of old Mexican mining tools such as screens, etc. Horses could not go through."
    skyhawk1251 and Injunbro like this.
    Marius

" There are many doors in and out of the mnts,but none so hidden as the ones in front of you.
    Do you possess the knowledge of the spirit to let you enter them? " NP

us
    Director of Research, Acquisitions, Archives and Library, Superstition Mountain Historical Society,and one of its founders, Member of Arizona First Families, Westerners, Arizona Historical Society, Central Arizona Museum Association and the Dons Club

Oct 2013
    Tempe, Arizona
    eyeball it
    911 times
    Good morning gentlemen: May I suggest to all those who are interested in the Doc. Thorne Story, that you read the book, "John Spring's Arizona" by A.M. Gustafson, Pages 278 to 284. This is an interview with Abram Thorne, by John Spring where Thorne relates the REAL story. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Nov 2015
    434 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory E. Davis View Post
    Good morning gentlemen: May I suggest to all those who are interested in the Doc. Thorne Story, that you read the book, "John Spring's Arizona" by A.M. Gustafson, Pages 278 to 284. This is an interview with Abram Thorne, by John Spring where Thorne relates the REAL story. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
    Not bad, 3.99 used on Amazon. Got mine ordered. Something fun to read while waiting for my trip back down to AZ. Thanks Mr. Davis.

us
    Dec 2017
    2608 times
    Here's the original Doc Thorne gold story by Spring, that Greg referred to above.

Spring Doc Thorne.pdf

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3703 times
    LDM
    Jim,
    Thank you for posting the story. It was different than expected, but good to read.
    You get a gold star for that.

Have to laugh, where did the other whoppers come from?
    somehiker and coazon de oro like this.

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3703 times
    LDM
    I particularly liked the very red hills
    coazon de oro likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    8122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Idahodutch View Post
    Jim,
    Thank you for posting the story. It was different than expected, but good to read.

same place the ldm clues came from...a bar down on Washington street

ca
    May 2007
    6421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    same place the ldm clues came from...a bar down on Washington street
    This version is certainly more credible than the one about Thorne being blindfolded and taken to the mine that some folks believe was the LDM. Also puts to rest the part where he supposedly removed his long johns so that he could fill them with gold ore......
    Hell,you ain't never too old to look!

us
    Dec 2008
    8122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by somehiker View Post
    This version is certainly more credible than the one about Thorne being blindfolded and taken to the mine that some folks believe was the LDM. Also puts to rest the part where he supposedly removed his long johns so that he could fill them with gold ore......
    exactly
    Idahodutch likes this.

us
    Director of Research, Acquisitions, Archives and Library, Superstition Mountain Historical Society,and one of its founders, Member of Arizona First Families, Westerners, Arizona Historical Society, Central Arizona Museum Association and the Dons Club

Oct 2013
    Tempe, Arizona
    eyeball it
    911 times
    You only have to look so far at the Newspaper Men who were selling papers with stories of Lost Gold and the Hack Writers who picked up the stories without researching the real facts. As a famous writer once said, "Don's confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up. No need to kill a good story with facts". Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

us
    Dec 2017
    2608 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Idahodutch View Post
    Jim,

IMO, this one's a whopper too.

The location makes no sense for the times.

Also, if you knew where there was gold that could just be picked up off the ground, would you reveal the location?

IMO, it most likely happened on Tonto or Cherry Creek, and the mountain range to the east was the Sierra Anchas. Just looking at what was happening in the area at the time.
    dredgernaut, GoDeep and Crow like this.

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3703 times
    LDM
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    IMO, this one's a whopper too.

The location makes no sense for the times.

Also, if you knew where there was gold that could just be picked up off the ground, would you reveal the location?

IMO, it most likely happened on Tonto or Cherry Creek, and the mountain range to the east was the Sierra Anchas. Just looking at what was happening in the area at the time.
    Jim,
    Of the different versions that I have read or heard, this sounds like maybe a little spice, but not much, and perhaps was on part of Dr. Thorne.
    I wonder if that was extent of interview? My first thoughts were what else was talked about or elaborated about. Maybe that is all there is to the story....

Those were my first thoughts, but you sound like you have issue with location?
    He really did not say where except south of Mogollon Rim, and maybe near the Salt, and some very red hills ... but that all sounded vague. If he knew where he was, I think he would have found his way back.... but maybe not.

Not tons of traffic lately, if you feel like expounding some, i would read it
    Russ
    PotBelly Jim likes this.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links