Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, Wiser if would been Waltz partner or nephew, he would never make it out from the place of the camp of LDM mines, because the position of those on the mountain. Both are a dead ends with little chance to escape climbing down the steep mountainside. So, in this case Wiser would been murdered at the site and never could make it to Walker house, unless he killed all the Apache before.
And here come to the scene the Ludis, who IMO were the men that rescued Ramon Peralta at the bar, and after that the Mexican gave them a mine in the Superstitions. But that mine was/is a silver mine ( known as Sheep mine from Edgar Cayce vision ) and not the LDM inclined shaft. Is more possible to make it out the mountains from that mine if the attack occurred evening and the Apache stopped chasing Wiser in the night time than if the attack occurred in the morning or noon.
So, the logic says how Wiser that make it to Walker house, was not Waltz partner.

Markmar,
I like the logic except, you base Weiserā€™s ability to flee, on your location for the mine region.
I think to dismiss a story on unproven information, is dismissing to quickly.

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar,
I like the logic except, you base Weiserā€™s ability to flee, on your location for the mine region.
I think to dismiss a story on unproven information, is dismissing to quickly.

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

It's not my location, but the location. You can argue and search for proofs for another one hundred years, but this would not change the location, nor the logic too.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not my location, but the location. You can argue and search for proofs for another one hundred years, but this would not change the location, nor the logic too.

In your opinion :)
In my opinion, the clues are real and they tell Waltz? story.
Not my story or your story. We could both be wrong.

Someday, maybe people will eventually see how the chips fell.
For now, we all try and figure, and have opinions based on various things.

As long as you enjoy your search, I?m happy for you Markmar. I do think you are looking at an interesting spot. And you are very good at finding how the clues were really to have been written ... in your opinion.

You are making claims, then show all. Not cropped images.
Let your search face the scrutiny of the Dutch hunter crowd. :icon_thumleft:

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
My question was these 2 accounts of Weiser .... they both can not be correct.

Idaho,

Just to try and nudge the thread back on track...and some food for thought...

Go back to the fact that one Weiser story has him killed at the mine, and then another Weiser story has him dragging himself out to wind up at Walker's, where he dies and gives Walker a map.

What was the name that John D. Walker gave Weedin, for the German he cared for in that story?:blackbeard:;)

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Idaho,

Just to try and nudge the thread back on track...and some food for thought...

Go back to the fact that one Weiser story has him killed at the mine, and then another Weiser story has him dragging himself out to wind up at Walker's, where he dies and gives Walker a map.

What was the name that John D. Walker gave Weedin, for the German he cared for in that story?:blackbeard:;)

:occasion14:
Good morning Jim,
I discovered there seems to be different camps involved with Weiser, and the nephew, not unlike the Holmes, Julia camps.
I was headed there, but folks were starting to get fairly worked up, so I left the hornets nest alone .... for the time being ....

It isn?t a deal breaker, but would be good to know.
The name given by injured man at Walkers, makes a big difference, for time lines as well as if it actually even is part of the LDM saga, but I have not done the research.

I suspect the name given was close, :dontknow:
The nephew is a big question mark for me.
Did a nephew come, and Waltz really kill him?
I really don?t know.

The question that drove me to starting this thread, .....
How was Waltz, after Weiser death, able to cover over and leave no trace, by himself.

I of course am applying these thoughts to the ravine that I think it is located.
The outcrop that i stood on top of and looked over, was covered by very large rocks, many I would definitely call boulders. Would be hard pressed for one person to do it, but possible if some of the work was done prior to Weiser?s death.

The death of Weiser supports the thought of Waltz bringing in a nephew.

Idahodutch

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Idaho,

I don't know if you care or not ;), but Walker never named the German in his tale...or, if he did, the name was lost to history...later, the name "Wisner" and "Weiser" were added to re-tellings of the story.

As far as I know, all we have to rely on for the Walker-German story, is Tom Weedin. I don't believe anyone else has ever come forward with this Walker-German story, including Walker himself.

The map... was apparently drawn from Weedin's memory of it...so it's a map made from memory, some several years after Weedin last remembered seeing it.

There are quite a few factual problems with Weedin's story about Walker and this un-named German. This should be unsurprising, I would think. But it couldn't have happened as it was related in Bark's Notes.

The date, BTW, that Weedin told this story to Bark and later Ely was circa 1912. John D. Walker, of course, had long since passed from this earth and could not be questioned.

:icon_study:

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Russ, a little more nudging, trying to circle back to your thoughts on who helped Waltz cover the mine. Moving on from the Walker/Weedin version of Weiser dying at Walker's Ranch...

Here's how I understand the history of the assignment of "Jacob Wiser" as a partner to Waltz: Ray and Elizabeth Howland, circa 1927 or earlier, but first appearing in Douglas's 1931 article; Jim Bark in the Bark Notes at some point prior to 1932 (He says the partner in the Weedin/Walker story's name had been forgotten, but Bark writes in his manuscript that he feels it must've been Wiser); Sims Ely in a letter to Northcutt Ely says essentially the same thing in 1932; John D. Mitchell in Lost Mines of the Great Southwest, 1933. And later authors all picked up the story. But these seem to be the first public mentions a partner with a name like "Wiser".

Some have speculated that the name "Jacob Wiser" came from Julia and/or Rhiney, which makes sense to me, but who knows. Many think that the concept of Waltz having a partner named Jacob came from a mixing up of the LDM and Lost German mine legends (Jacobs/Ludi, AKA Jacob and Paul Ludi). Mitchell, however seems adamant that his LDM story including Wiser had nothing to do with Jacobs/Ludi. :BangHead:

Back to the nephew. Matthew has put forth the possibility of Peter Backens, who was a real person that was a mining partner of Waltz's. He seems to have disappeared in the late 1860's. Some have thought that maybe Jacob Weiss was the nephew. He was definitely German, and also a mining partner of Waltz's who came to AZ from CA, but he died of fever in Prescott in 1867. One person that I've never seen mentioned as a possibility is Nicolas Weiss. He was Jacob Weiss's brother, and the two of them had a homestead in Osborn Valley (up by Mayer AZ) in the 1860's. If Jacob Weiss was Waltz's nephew, it stands to reason that Nicolas was as well. Nicolas seems to disappear after 1867, much the same way that Backens did. The homestead in Osborn Valley was taken over by other people and is still part of a working ranch today.

As far as I know, there is no public evidence supporting any of these men as Waltz's nephew, so I would put it in the category of "maybe, maybe not." And, who knows what Waltz meant by "nephew"...could've been any one of many family relations that fit the bill, or the son of a dear friend.

Brownie Holmes believed his Dad recovered the skull of the nephew, right where Waltz told him he left the body (Agua Escondido). There's corroborating evidence that an actual skull really existed, it was thought to be that of Waltz's nephew, and that Doc Jones had it, just like Brownie says.

So there you have it. If you think Waltz needed help to cover the site where you think the mine might be, well the argument can definitely be made...that even if Jacob Weiser was dead, either by Indians at the mine, at Walker's, by fever in Prescott, or by Waltz's own hand...there's plenty of evidence/speculation for the nephew being someone else.
Have fun on your next trip. Do try to bring out some rich gold ore next time 8-)

PS: I forgot to add, you brought up Bick's directions from his article as leading right to your canyon...he did mention a partner to Waltz also a German and also named Jacob in his article, and in all likelihood he heard that from Julia...no last name of Wiser, but still a pretty good pedigree if Bick's article is your roadmap, and definitely doesn't preclude a German nephew coming on the scene later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Russ, a little more nudging, trying to circle back to your thoughts on who helped Waltz cover the mine. Moving on from the Walker/Weedin version of Weiser dying at Walker's Ranch...

Here's how I understand the history of the assignment of "Jacob Wiser" as a partner to Waltz: Ray and Elizabeth Howland, circa 1927 or earlier, but first appearing in Douglas's 1931 article; Jim Bark in the Bark Notes at some point prior to 1932 (He says the partner in the Weedin/Walker story's name had been forgotten, but Bark writes in his manuscript that he feels it must've been Wiser); Sims Ely in a letter to Northcutt Ely says essentially the same thing in 1932; John D. Mitchell in Lost Mines of the Great Southwest, 1933. And later authors all picked up the story. But these seem to be the first public mentions a partner with a name like "Wiser".

Some have speculated that the name "Jacob Wiser" came from Julia and/or Rhiney, which makes sense to me, but who knows. Many think that the concept of Waltz having a partner named Jacob came from a mixing up of the LDM and Lost German mine legends (Jacobs/Ludi, AKA Jacob and Paul Ludi). Mitchell, however seems adamant that his LDM story including Wiser had nothing to do with Jacobs/Ludi. :BangHead:

Back to the nephew. Matthew has put forth the possibility of Peter Backens, who was a real person that was a mining partner of Waltz's. He seems to have disappeared in the late 1860's. Some have thought that maybe Jacob Weiss was the nephew. He was definitely German, and also a mining partner of Waltz's who came to AZ from CA, but he died of fever in Prescott in 1867. One person that I've never seen mentioned as a possibility is Nicolas Weiss. He was Jacob Weiss's brother, and the two of them had a homestead in Osborn Valley (up by Mayer AZ) in the 1860's. If Jacob Weiss was Waltz's nephew, it stands to reason that Nicolas was as well. Nicolas seems to disappear after 1867, much the same way that Backens did. The homestead in Osborn Valley was taken over by other people and is still part of a working ranch today.

As far as I know, there is no public evidence supporting any of these men as Waltz's nephew, so I would put it in the category of "maybe, maybe not." And, who knows what Waltz meant by "nephew"...could've been any one of many family relations that fit the bill, or the son of a dear friend.

Brownie Holmes believed his Dad recovered the skull of the nephew, right where Waltz told him he left the body (Agua Escondido). There's corroborating evidence that an actual skull really existed, it was thought to be that of Waltz's nephew, and that Doc Jones had it, just like Brownie says.

So there you have it. If you think Waltz needed help to cover the site where you think the mine might be, well the argument can definitely be made...that even if Jacob Weiser was dead, either by Indians at the mine, at Walker's, by fever in Prescott, or by Waltz's own hand...there's plenty of evidence/speculation for the nephew being someone else.
Have fun on your next trip. Do try to bring out some rich gold ore next time 8-)

PS: I forgot to add, you brought up Bick's directions from his article as leading right to your canyon...he did mention a partner to Waltz also a German and also named Jacob in his article, and in all likelihood he heard that from Julia...no last name of Wiser, but still a pretty good pedigree if Bick's article is your roadmap, and definitely doesn't preclude a German nephew coming on the scene later.

Jim,
This is an excellent post! :icon_thumleft:
The wife and I went over to Paulina Peak in Oregon, to spread her moms ashes from the top.
They have a nice lookout right at the top, and a one lane gravel road that goes right up to it.

We just got back this afternoon.
Anyway, I was thinking a lot about it, and bear with me a bit;
The large rocks and boulders had to mostly be part of the original outcrop.
The pile of boulders is approximately a 40? x 40? pile right at the end of the outcrop. The mine, in Bicks article measures out according to what he wrote, and is directly across the canyon.

If Waltz only had to fill up, or move/roll rocks back onto the crisscrossed logs, and then the cache, then cover so that blended in ... no trace.

He could have done that part as long as most of the material, was still next to where it was dug out. The mine was not that large. My memory is at approximately 4? diameter hole.
He says he enlarged it a foot all around, so that makes a 6? hole.

The pile is about 40?. Best hopes, would be a small spot that has movable rocks, for future access to retrieve the cache.

He was going to be sending Julia and Rhiney to get it.
The only special items talked about, was heavy clothing.

It must be a job doable for Julia and Rhiney.
Just going by the clues, then Waltz put Weiser in the mine, before the logs.
At least that is what I get out of it.
So in my opinion, after much reflection, the story has been good up to this point, maybe Waltz finished up just like the article. By himself.

My question on the nephew, will have to remain open.
Your information is well put together Jim, I thank you for sharing.

If we do actually find some samples, there is strong liklyhood it would be of the hematite quartz.... according to Waltz. To still have a large pile of the white quartz ore, still around and handy does not fit the story. He and Weiser worked the outcrop after starting it. Ore was more rich.

We don?t have any ore to compare it to?

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy Sunday,

Many have thought perhaps Jacob Wisner was Waltz's partner. He was a real person, which I'm thinking many here may not have realized or seen any info on before...Anyway, if Jacob Wisner was Waltz's partner, he lived to a fairly ripe old age. Attached is an excerpt from the 1890 Great Register that should be of interest, as well as an entry for Charles Walz, who some may recognize ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1890 Maricopa Great Reg Walz Wisner Waltz.jpg
    1890 Maricopa Great Reg Walz Wisner Waltz.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 223

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some more background info on Jacob S. Wisner:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wisner Jacob 1873 CA Voter Reg.jpg
    Wisner Jacob 1873 CA Voter Reg.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Wisner Jacob S Civil War Pension Card.jpg
    Wisner Jacob S Civil War Pension Card.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Wisner Jacob 1884 Voter Reg Maricopa.jpg
    Wisner Jacob 1884 Voter Reg Maricopa.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Wisner Jacob Military Home.jpg
    Wisner Jacob Military Home.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Winser Jacob Headstone Endicott NY.jpg
    Winser Jacob Headstone Endicott NY.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 196

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0627211501a.jpg

About 40 years ago a few people researched a letter that was published in the 1896 Phoenix Daily Herald. It was a dead letter listing of letters to be picked up at the Phoenix Post Office. One of the letters was addressed to Jacob S. Wisner. It was thought at the time the man may have been Jacob Waltz partner but found he was not the correct person. The Jacob S. Wisner who died in 1912 was the man on the letter list.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
The newspapers would have certainly been a "target-rich environment" for any researcher looking for Jacob Wisner. Here are just a few of the dozens of AZ newspaper articles containing references to Jacob Wisner:

Prescott Letter List:

attachment.php

These notices ran almost every week in the paper for the entire year of 1890. Wisner was listed variably as "J. Wisner", "Jacob Wisner" and "Jacob S. Wisner". Wisner owned a share of this Irrigation ditch:
attachment.php

In 1888, Wisner ran for Constable in the "Toltec" District of Yuma County:
attachment.php

R. J. Cartwright established a homestead near today's 51[SUP]st[/SUP] Ave.and Thomas Road in 1877. It's now part of Phoenix:

attachment.php

While it seems many people thought Jacob Wisner was "Jacob Wiser" of the LDM legend, at least one author seems to have gotten Wisner at least partially right.

Barney Barnard's book (mostly written by Higham) sometimes asserts that Wiser and Wisner were different people. There's a lot of info on Wisner in that book, including a trip to the mine to work it in the late 1870's. Makes me wonder how Jacob Wisner got attached to the LDM legend, and how much of it, if any, is true.

Attachments

• WISNER 1.jpg
    WISNER 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 254
  • WISNER 2.jpg
    WISNER 2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 259
  • WISNER 3.jpg
    WISNER 3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 253
  • WISNER 4.jpg
    WISNER 4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other

Jim,
I know itā€™s been many months since this discussion was happening, but I managed to spend some more time in that ravineā€¦. Quite a bit of time on the covered up mine site.
In my opinion, Waltz could have covered up the mine, by himself, over a winter ā€¦ā€¦
It would have taken some time and effort, but material can be nudged around when nudging with the follow of gravity šŸ¤“
So it is entirely possible that the accounts written in Bickā€™s 1895 article are right on.

BTWā€¦.
This past trip was very conclusive. Thought you would want to know šŸ˜
We used ground radar, and scanned the whole area.
The results were the best possible results one could hope for.
The only thing that was unexpected, was the strength of the pull to the deposit location. If there are more deposits in there, they were drowned out by the out crop mine deposit. Canā€™t see stars in noon sunlight šŸ˜ā€¦.. the sun is too bright.
I donā€™t think my body can handle another trip into those mountains.
I am thankful for the time in there, but my body is in terrible shape.

There are many accessible buried treasures, that one can practically drive to, and I plan to make good use of the radar equipment šŸ‘
Just have to play the cards weā€™re dealt. šŸ¤“

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions