I Search for Adventure with Jack Douglas 1950s TV

Fielder

Oct 18, 2017
Nevada and California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone here have a copy of the Lost Dutchman Mine episode of I search for Adventure TV show?
This weekly show ran in 1955 thereabouts.
I saw a tape recording of the LDM episode some years ago and would like to see it again.

The show usually started with JD in a studio standing by a ship's wheel prop and announcing that weeks episode. Sometimes the filmmaker/ explorer was standing beside him.

The show format was usually: running of a half hour of video from 35mm film reel which the explorers of that era had taken on their journey.

The LDM episode was not something that interested me particularly at the time but I remember two things.

1) The film maker/ explorer in wandering through the Superstitions met up with a group of outdoorsmen who called themselves 'Darby's Rangers' who were as I recall a small armed civilian posse group that sometimes patrolled the area. I do remember that Darby fired off his Colt 45 six shooter revolver for the cameras.

2) The host (Jack Douglas) said something like: clues from maps or words written down which point out landmarks in a certain direction from a given vantage point were useless if you were not standing at that particular vantage point. But one pointer was superimposed on the area that did not change with location: the huge shadow formed by Weaver's Needle on the terrain. Apparently at sometime Jake Walsh had said the closest the shadow tip ever gets to the mine entrance was along about a certain week of the year and about a certain daily time. I forget how approximately close it was supposed to be to the entrance. About a mile, a hundred yards, I don't remember.

I would like to watch that old episode.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Does anyone here have a copy of the Lost Dutchman Mine episode of I search for Adventure TV show?
This weekly show ran in 1955 thereabouts.
I saw a tape recording of the LDM episode some years ago and would like to see it again.

The show usually started with JD in a studio standing by a ship's wheel prop and announcing that weeks episode. Sometimes the filmmaker/ explorer was standing beside him.

The show format was usually: running of a half hour of video from 35mm film reel which the explorers of that era had taken on their journey.

The LDM episode was not something that interested me particularly at the time but I remember two things.

1) The film maker/ explorer in wandering through the Superstitions met up with a group of outdoorsmen who called themselves 'Darby's Rangers' who were as I recall a small armed civilian posse group that sometimes patrolled the area. I do remember that Darby fired off his Colt 45 six shooter revolver for the cameras.

2) The host (Jack Douglas) said something like: clues from maps or words written down which point out landmarks in a certain direction from a given vantage point were useless if you were not standing at that particular vantage point. But one pointer was superimposed on the area that did not change with location: the huge shadow formed by Weaver's Needle on the terrain. Apparently at sometime Jake Walsh had said the closest the shadow tip ever gets to the mine entrance was along about a certain week of the year and about a certain daily time. I forget how approximately close it was supposed to be to the entrance. About a mile, a hundred yards, I don't remember.

I would like to watch that old episode.

there was another show like this about the same time frame...it was called "treasure with bill burrud"

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello gentlemen: I remember that episode. It was in color and showed the group searching for someone using jeeps in the Superstitions. I have been looking for a copy of it myself but to no avail. I have Bill Burrud's first two he did on the Lost Dutchman in Black and White on 16 mm film. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello gentlemen: I remember that episode. It was in color and showed the group searching for someone using jeeps in the Superstitions. I have been looking for a copy of it myself but to no avail. I have Bill Burrud's first two he did on the Lost Dutchman in Black and White on 16 mm film. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

If Greg can't find it, you KNOW it's hard to get :)

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just a guess but I think the family or current owners may hold the copyright and have not released it. Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread