check this out this is a craigs list add in phx

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
TREASURE DISCOVERY AUCTION

Believed to be 160-year-old maps to a vast fortune hidden deep within the mysterious Superstition Mountain Wilderness Area of Arizona.
They have now been deciphered.
You can be there at the moment of Discovery! This once in a lifetime opportunity to become part of the history of the Superstitions can be yours if you act quickly. Summer is rapidly approaching.
I. The first fact-validating expedition has been completed.
A. Markers have been photographed
B. GPS way-points have been marked
C. A heart was located at the spot signaled by the Minelab 3500 Pulse Induction Metal Detector
D. Legal representation and assistance has been obtained
II. The Trip of Discovery is organized for late Spring this year.
A. Ground Penetrating Radar will be used to survey the site and surrounding area
B. Pack animals to carry the gear for a 6day trip are arranged. It takes 2 days to reach our camping area on foot
C. The entire expedition will be videoed for broadcast at later date
III. The Treasure Trove Permit will be applied for
A. Legal Counsel will submit application for permit
B. Ground Penetrating Radar images submitted
B. Story of the Stone Tablets as presented in Straight to the Heart
C. GPS coordinates omitted to aid in securing permit and for later leverage
IV. The Opportunity of a Lifetime is in need of an additional member
A. A full share of the treasure the Government doesn’t take.
B. Credit given as one of the discoverers
C. A full share of Archeological finds donated to the museum in your name
V. This is a story rivaled only by the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine
A. This is a true moment in history
B. Proof once and for all about the Stone Tablets
C. One of the greatest Treasure Discoveries of all time
D. No time to waste summer is approaching and that means HOT!
If you are physically fit and have experience in the outdoors this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for you to be there for a truly historic discovery.
Opening bid: $25,000.
Call 480-600-3418 for additional info.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 636051498

what people will do for money, a pretty expensive camping trip I say.....I think this guy has been wandering around the desert :tard: too long in the sun>>>>> :icon_sunny:

what do you think ??? db

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know he may have just figured out how to make 25,000 off of some stupid guy. :icon_scratch:
Burdie

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering you have to have IN HAND a treasure trove permit to legally recover anything from the Superstitions, and up until now I know of only one group who has gotten that permission in ~43 years (and THAT permit took a bunch of time, documentation and effort to arrange), I wouldn't bid more than $10.

Doesn't mean they haven't found anything, but it DOES mean that legally until they get a permit (IF they ever even would) they can't do much of anything unless of course the treasure they found is sitting out on the surface somewhere in the sun gathering dust :)

I'm surprised the person didn't put it up for auction on Ebay - as they say, "there's a sucker born every minute."

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Gentlemen,

I did a little research to find out who ran this ad, and found out without any real effort.

I know the man, and he is a good person. I can't vouch for his find, but firmly believe he is sincere......and has evidence on the ground that convinces him he is right. He also was left the papers of a long time Dutch Hunter, which helped him come to this place in the mountains.

While I appreciate your doubts and caution, I would not say the man is looking for suckers. I just got off the phone with him, and he talked freely about what he has found so far. If any of you had found the same things.......you would be digging right now.

I believe Paul met him at the last Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous, just as I did. He is no stranger to the folks in the Dutch Hunting community.

I would say give him a break until you know what you are talking about.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
Gentlemen,

I did a little research to find out who ran this ad, and found out without any real effort.

I know the man, and he is a good person. I can't vouch for his find, but firmly believe he is sincere......and has evidence on the ground that convinces him he is right. He also was left the papers of a long time Dutch Hunter, which helped him come to this place in the mountains.

While I appreciate your doubts and caution, I would not say the man is looking for suckers. I just got off the phone with him, and he talked freely about what he has found so far. If any of you had found the same things.......you would be digging right now.

I believe Paul met him at the last Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous, just as I did. He is no stranger to the folks in the Dutch Hunting community.

I would say give him a break until you know what you are talking about.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Very interesting!! My choice of the word "sucker" was inappropriate, but I'm still a little aprehensive about it all. That said, I'd love to read a story in a few months about someone finding treausure out there :)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO CJ You posted --->

"I would say give him a break until you know what you are talking about"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree, I believe that all of my posts indicate this attitude.

Don Jose de La Mancha.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Don Jose,

"I agree, I believe that all of my posts indicate this attitude."

Unfortunately, my friend, I can's say the same thing about all of my own posts.

Take care,

Joe

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
CJ,
With all that you have said he sill must go thru the entire permit application process. Shouldn't he acctually have the permit in hand before soliciting bids for an expedition that may or may not take place. The application is not going to be approved overnight.
Andy why advertise on "Craigs list"? Just my thoughts.
Bill

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bill,

I am not vouching for the man's thought process or methodology, just for the perceived sincerity of someone I only met and talked to for a short time at the last Rendezvous. We talked on the phone for around fifteen minutes yesterday. I can usually recognize a BS'er in much less time.

I don't see any way that the Stone Maps show any other location than what I have posted on this site. That means that I would not be investing my money in any project that is located elsewhere.

This gentleman has gone to the end of his Stone Map Trail, found a heart, and received a hit on his metal detector. The earth was soft at that spot, but he did not dig. He is going back with GPR soon. He has a book ready for publication and is waiting for legal protection and the results of the GPR.

Sounds like someone who is trying to do things right. I know the man who is his partner in this "find", and don't take him for a fool.

If anyone is interested, I suggest they call Phil and come to their own conclusions. Knowing what I know, I would not be writing a check........but I would listen to his story.....carefully.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A. A full share of the treasure the Government doesn’t take."

I Think it would mean you just spent $25,000 for a fun camping trip and thats about all :tard: Once big brother gets done with ya about all you got left is a nice sunburn and blisters on your feet. For 25,000 i would be expecting a chopper ride IN :thumbsup:
Very interesting to say the least..........

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
CJ,
Any idea why he chose to go to "Craigs list" to look for investors.I must have missed on the original post where he said it was the "stone maps" that he was using. He certainly may have found something but If I had just spent two days packing into the back country and got a good hit with my metal detector I would have spent a little time digging. A metel detector does not penetrate all that deep that I could not easily have turned a few shovel fulls and do a little poking around, no serious disturbance just a little "poking". A good "hit" on a metal detector should have been easy to uncover in the "soft" earth. You say he has a book ready for publication?. No I don't think i would pull out my check book just yet but it is interesting.

Bill

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill96 said:
CJ,
Any idea why he chose to go to "Craigs list" to look for investors.I must have missed on the original post where he said it was the "stone maps" that he was using. He certainly may have found something but If I had just spent two days packing into the back country and got a good hit with my metal detector I would have spent a little time digging. A metel detector does not penetrate all that deep that I could not easily have turned a few shovel fulls and do a little poking around, no serious disturbance just a little "poking". A good "hit" on a metal detector should have been easy to uncover in the "soft" earth. You say he has a book ready for publication?. No I don't think i would pull out my check book just yet but it is interesting.

Bill

Bill,

A Minelab 3500 PI detector is a pretty deep detector - it's not in the same league as 2 box units, but I'm pretty sure it could certainly "see" down a foot on something relatively small and probably 2-3 feet or even more on something large.

Another thing to keep in mind - you never know who might be out there watching, so getting a detector signal, "poking around" and then leaving could result in you coming back a few days later to a big hole and NO SIGNAL there anymore :)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
T.P. and Bill,

I believe the lawyer made him put in the part about "what was left". He did not want to mislead anyone.

I am taking him at his word that he did not dig. Not everyone would automatically do that in the Wilderness Area. He knows how far his metal detector works and what it is detecting. I believe the size of the target would make a serious difference in the depth it would detect.

You can't legally land a helicopter in the Wilderness Area........nor even hover a certain distance from the surface.

I don't really know anything about Craig's list, so I can't really comment on his using it as a tool for finding an investor or investors.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
Paul,

You are exactly right. He figures if the target was large.......around three feet.

Take care,

Joe

Not surprising then that he would NOT dig.

If it were me, I know exactly what would happen. I'd "poke around a bit" and my curiosity would get the best of me and lead me to dig just "a little bit deeper" and then maybe a little deeper and before I know it, I'd be 2 feet down and 4 feet wide still not hitting anything and the signal just screaming at me to dig a little more! At that point, I'd figure, what the heck, I might as well keep going until I get to it!

Of course moments after hitting and uncovering an old rusted water holding tank for cattle, I'd hear the voice of the Forest Service Ranger behind me asking me to get out of the hole. At that point, I'd lose my detector, my vehicle, go to jail for a little while and pay a hefty fine - all to see an old rusty tank :)

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
cubfan,
hahahhh...... just the thought of something like that brings back great memories..hahah.., yes those were the days. Your right, thats probably how it would go.

Bill

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CJ Wrote:
"You can't legally land a helicopter in the Wilderness Area........nor even hover a certain distance from the surface"

I was just saying.....for that price i would expect Four Star treatment !

"I don't really know anything about Craig's list, so I can't really comment on his using it as a tool for finding an investor or investors"

I was around when craigslist started...have used it many a time to sale things, all you ever hear about craigslist in the news is when there busting child prostitution rings that advertise!!! wouldnt be my first choice to advertise something like that ... there are alot of nutty people that would try and track you down and TAKE that map from you're cold dead hands. BUT IT IS FREE TO POST

If it were ME that found something interesting like what he thinks hes got.......i would just dig it and run! :icon_jokercolor: under cover of darkness of course, Night Vision, Camo, Face Paint, The Whole Works...........hahahahhaaha

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill96 said:
cubfan,
hahahhh...... just the thought of something like that brings back great memories..hahah.., yes those were the days. Your right, thats probably how it would go.

Bill

Bill - my first metal detector was a cheap Radio Shack unit sometime back around 1972/73. My dad had a Whites model of some kind and I can recall following him around watching him dig up things and I showed enough interest that he bought me the cheapo RS one.

The ONLY thing I EVER found with that detector was a crushed beer can about 1/2" under the dirt near my house - and it wasn't due to a lack of trying :). I'm firmly convinced that an entire car could have been buried 2 inches below the surface and I probably wouldn't have gotten a signal - hehe. But I remember dreaming of pirates, outlaws, gold mines, etc... and spending hours searching the schoolyard and fields near my house without ever even getting a signal.

Good thing I'm a persistent person cause I've since advanced on to better detectors and used research to find places to yield "treasures." I have yet to find my first real valuable item, but I've paid for all my detectors a few times over now and I still dream of pirates, outlaws, gold mines, etc... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread