Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Free Help to find lost stuff...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

Free Help to find lost stuff...

Several of us from a bunch of forums have grouped together to offer our assistance to anyone who has lost a piece of jewelry and would like help looking for it. We don't charge a fee for our help, nor do we expect a reward if we're successful. Our only goal is to help people in need, because we all believe it's just the right thing to do.

The way we've set things up is with a simple email group on Yahoo! Groups. Whenever someone posts an email to our group looking for help to find a lost item, we forward the email to all our volunteers, and if any of them are nearby and available, they'll contact the person who lost the item.

This email group is not a discussion forum. It's only function is to forward emails from people who are looking for help finding stuff to people who have indicated they are willing to provide that help for free.

If you'd like to join our group, just go to the Volunteer page of our website:

http://www.lostmystuff.net/volunteer.php

us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Free Help to find lost stuff...

Hello everyone --

Just wanted to let you know that since we put up our website in September we've been averaging a new member joining the Group every day!!

In addition, we've also put up an FAQ page to answer the most common questions we've been receiving.

Thanks for your attention!!

fogcity

The Lost My Stuff Group

us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

March Update --

The Lost My Stuff Group is now 6 months old!!!

We have grown to over 200 volunteer members now and we receive requests for help about once or twice a month. We successfully found two rings lost in March and we just received another request today!! I hope our good fortune continues

We're always looking for more members so if you'd like to join us or just check us out, our website is:

The Lost My Stuff Group

Regards,

fogcity

us
    Nov 2006
    Florida
    Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
    17 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Do the folks give you descriptions and directions to where they lost their valuables?

One born every........
    They wash their feet 5 times a day, but use their hand instead of Charmin?

us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Montauk3
    Do the folks give you descriptions and directions to where they lost their valuables?

One born every........
    No, we ask people who have lost stuff to only identify what they lost (a ring, a watch, a bracelet, or whatever) and the city, state/province & country where they lost it so our members can determine whether they are geographically close enough to the person to offer some assistance. The exact location and details aren't solicited until the volunteer searcher is meeting with the person needing the help. If a person does provide too many details, they are removed from their request before it is sent to all our Volunteer Searchers.

We also caution both our volunteer searchers and the people who are reporting lost stuff to be very careful when meeting anyone from the internet... Everyone needs to stay Safe!!!

You can check out these sort of things by going to our website: The Lost My Stuff Group

us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

April has been a busy month ---

We've grown to just short of 300 members and we've had 15 Lost Items reported to us!!!

Hopefully we'll keep growing so we'll be able to help people in more & more locations... We didn't have any members located near 5 of items that were reported to us so we were unable to try to help those folks...

The Lost My Stuff Group

us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

Here's our May Update --

The Lost My Stuff Group is now 8 months old and we've grown to 320 members!!!

In the past two months we've received Lost Item Reports for ~20 different items, have had volunteer searchers available who helped search for 6 of those, and were successful in finding 4 of those 6!!! Our success rate is great, we just need to get more members in more areas so we can help more people find their lost stuff.

If you're interested, you can check out our Lost Item Report list and our Success Stories at our website, and of course everyone is invited to join so they too, can become someone who helps people find their lost stuff for FREE!!!

The Lost My Stuff Group

Regards,

fogcity

us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

June Update ---

We continue to grow -- we're up to 354 members now!!!

Stats-wise --- We've received reports for 34 lost items so far this year, 24 of which we had volunteers near enough to help search for and 14 of those were found.

You can check all this out on the Lost Item Reports & Success Stories pages of our website.

Lost Item Reports: http://www.lostmystuff.net/lost_items1.php

Success Stories: http://www.lostmystuff.net/success_stories1.php
    Last edited by fogcity; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

us
    Jul 2010
    New Hampshire USA
    Fisher F70
    43 times
    Metal Detecting

Sounds like a great idea.

I would be glad to help out.

I just signed up.

us
    Aug 2010
    Overland Park, Kansas
    AT-Pro
    8 times
    Metal Detecting

And you are our 355th member !!!

Jan 2007
    Houston,TX
    Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
    2 times

It doesn't cost anything to join up or get the leads sent to you.

If an item is lost close to you and you are able to contact the owner and search for it, you help the owner and yourself by the good PR for the metal detecting hobby. And we all know the hobby can use all of that we can find.

One of the members signed up one day and the next day a lead was sent out which was close to where he was. He contacted the owner of the lost item, went and searched for it, and located it for the owner.

So far there are 360 volunteer members from all over the world.

ca
    Jun 2011
    burlington ontario
    2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
    17 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

if this includes canada i would like to help too

Jan 2007
    Houston,TX
    Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by snowdogg70
    if this includes canada i would like to help too
    www.lostmystuff.net
    This service is worldwide, we have members already in Canada, Britain, Germany, Peru, China and all across the USA. It is all free....no charge to get leads,and no charge to the owner of the lost item.

I went on one search and while I didn't find the item, I assured the guy there was no charge and I was happy to help, but sorry I didn't find the ring. He still offered money for my time searching, and I told the gentleman to use the money to take his wife out for dinner.

You can sign up here......

http://www.lostmystuff.net/volunteer.php

us
    Jun 2007
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Whites MXT, V3i
    21 times

Just signed up for the group.

Considering making some decals to promote the site for my truck.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Upstate, NY
    Whites DFX, Sunray Probe

Great site!!1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors