Free Help to find lost stuff...

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several of us from a bunch of forums have grouped together to offer our assistance to anyone who has lost a piece of jewelry and would like help looking for it. We don't charge a fee for our help, nor do we expect a reward if we're successful. Our only goal is to help people in need, because we all believe it's just the right thing to do.

The way we've set things up is with a simple email group on Yahoo! Groups. Whenever someone posts an email to our group looking for help to find a lost item, we forward the email to all our volunteers, and if any of them are nearby and available, they'll contact the person who lost the item.

This email group is not a discussion forum. It's only function is to forward emails from people who are looking for help finding stuff to people who have indicated they are willing to provide that help for free.

If you'd like to join our group, just go to the Volunteer page of our website:

http://www.lostmystuff.net/volunteer.php

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone --

Just wanted to let you know that since we put up our website in September we've been averaging a new member joining the Group every day!!

In addition, we've also put up an FAQ page to answer the most common questions we've been receiving.

Thanks for your attention!!

fogcity

The Lost My Stuff Group

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
March Update --

The Lost My Stuff Group is now 6 months old!!!

We have grown to over 200 volunteer members now and we receive requests for help about once or twice a month. We successfully found two rings lost in March and we just received another request today!! I hope our good fortune continues ;D

We're always looking for more members so if you'd like to join us or just check us out, our website is:

The Lost My Stuff Group

Regards,

fogcity

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do the folks give you descriptions and directions to where they lost their valuables?

One born every........

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Montauk3 said:
Do the folks give you descriptions and directions to where they lost their valuables?

One born every........

No, we ask people who have lost stuff to only identify what they lost (a ring, a watch, a bracelet, or whatever) and the city, state/province & country where they lost it so our members can determine whether they are geographically close enough to the person to offer some assistance. The exact location and details aren't solicited until the volunteer searcher is meeting with the person needing the help. If a person does provide too many details, they are removed from their request before it is sent to all our Volunteer Searchers.

We also caution both our volunteer searchers and the people who are reporting lost stuff to be very careful when meeting anyone from the internet... Everyone needs to stay Safe!!!

You can check out these sort of things by going to our website: The Lost My Stuff Group

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
April has been a busy month ---

We've grown to just short of 300 members and we've had 15 Lost Items reported to us!!!

Hopefully we'll keep growing so we'll be able to help people in more & more locations... We didn't have any members located near 5 of items that were reported to us so we were unable to try to help those folks...

The Lost My Stuff Group

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's our May Update --

The Lost My Stuff Group is now 8 months old and we've grown to 320 members!!!

In the past two months we've received Lost Item Reports for ~20 different items, have had volunteer searchers available who helped search for 6 of those, and were successful in finding 4 of those 6!!! Our success rate is great, we just need to get more members in more areas so we can help more people find their lost stuff.

If you're interested, you can check out our Lost Item Report list and our Success Stories at our website, and of course everyone is invited to join so they too, can become someone who helps people find their lost stuff for FREE!!!

The Lost My Stuff Group

Regards,

fogcity

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
June Update ---

We continue to grow -- we're up to 354 members now!!!

Stats-wise --- We've received reports for 34 lost items so far this year, 24 of which we had volunteers near enough to help search for and 14 of those were found.

You can check all this out on the Lost Item Reports & Success Stories pages of our website.

Lost Item Reports: http://www.lostmystuff.net/lost_items1.php

Success Stories: http://www.lostmystuff.net/success_stories1.php

Last edited:

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
It doesn't cost anything to join up or get the leads sent to you. :)

If an item is lost close to you and you are able to contact the owner and search for it, you help the owner and yourself by the good PR for the metal detecting hobby. And we all know the hobby can use all of that we can find.
:wink: :wink:

One of the members signed up one day and the next day a lead was sent out which was close to where he was. He contacted the owner of the lost item, went and searched for it, and located it for the owner.

So far there are 360 volunteer members from all over the world. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if this includes canada i would like to help too

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
snowdogg70 said:
if this includes canada i would like to help too

www.lostmystuff.net
This service is worldwide, we have members already in Canada, Britain, Germany, Peru, China and all across the USA. It is all free....no charge to get leads,and no charge to the owner of the lost item.

I went on one search and while I didn't find the item, I assured the guy there was no charge and I was happy to help, but sorry I didn't find the ring. He still offered money for my time searching, and I told the gentleman to use the money to take his wife out for dinner.

You can sign up here......

http://www.lostmystuff.net/volunteer.php

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just signed up for the group.

Considering making some decals to promote the site for my truck.

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's September 2011 and the Lost My Stuff Group is almost a year old !!!

We're up to 574 members now, and thanks to some newspaper articles in Delaware, a story on the ABC Evening News here in Houston, and continuous promoting by Dimeman, we're becoming more & more well known.

As of today we've received reports for 167 lost items in 2011, 90 of which we've had volunteers near enough to help search for (~54%) and 36 of which were found (~40%). We just need more members so we can have people available to search for more & more stuff!!!

You can check all this out on the Lost Item Reports & Success Stories pages of our website.

The Lost My Stuff Group: http://www.lostmystuff.net/index.php

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's November 2011 now and the Lost My Stuff Group is a bit over a year old !!!

We're up to 650 members as of this evening...

As of today we've received reports for 199 lost items so far in 2011 -- Of these, we've had volunteers near enough to help search for 106 (~53%) and 46 of those were found (~43%).

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I signed up today... central Texas area...

Chukers

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for becoming a member!

The more of us that join, the more people we can help!!!

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's January of 2012 and the Lost My Stuff Group is still doing well !!!

We're up to 856 members now in 12 countries...

As of today we've received reports for 225 lost items in the past year -- Of these, we've had volunteers near enough to help search for 131 (~58%) and 59 of those were found (~44%). Our stats keep improving as we get more & more members.

We just changed our website and email system... Now, instead of our members only being able to select which regions of the world they wish to receive Lost Item Reports about, they can specifically select each individual country around the world, province/territory in Canada or Australia, or state in the USA they are interested in, and thus only receive emails about specific locations they've selected.

You can check all this out on our website.

Also, make sure to check out the article about us in the March Issue of Lost Treasure Magazine !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread