best coin you ever lost...

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a family story that my great grandmother paid the paper boy w/ a roll of 55 doubled dies, but you know how stories go, probably bs. But truth is in 1988 my house got robbed, lost everything valuable, I was a senior in HS., anyways my entire coin and stamp collections are a memory, the 1808 half dollar that my favorite Uncle Bill gave me haunts me to this day. Now that I have gotten older, I find myself not dwelling on the value of coins, but the joy in being the "favorite Uncle" to the young ones in my extended family.
Uncle dave,
I really really like morgan silver dollars😇

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970....I was taking a 1909s indianhead in extra fine condition downtown in west palm bch to be valued, it was wrapped in tissue in my pocket.when I arrived / at the store I opened the tissue and it was gone.
I think it fell out and I used it to pay the penny tax on a 10 cent Icee I bought at the 7/11.
I went back and asked the cl e rk to look in the tray for it but he s a id the change had been rolled and locked in the safe earlier. He said he didn't have the combo.
You live and lose sometimes.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day when there was still plenty of pre-64's in circulation I'd lose the 50 cents mom would give me for my school lunch sometimes. I'm thinking some metal detecting fella maybe found those lost Washington's, Kennedy's & Franklin haves I couldn't seem to find at lunch time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SILVER COIN.JPG FRIEND FOUND THIS AT A 1600S CELLAR HOLE IN MA. - WAS STOLEN BEFORE HE COULD GET IT ATHENTICATED

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first coin collection that I had collected since a kid was not too expensive but I had some really cool coins. I had a few Napolean coins that had been given to me from an older gentleman in my church when I was 15. My wife and I got into foster care when we were only married for a couple years and was providing respite for weekends. I was showing my coins to one of the teens who came thru on weekend and the next time I looked for my coin collection it was gone.....lesson learned.

TIME TRAVELER

Greenie
Jan 27, 2006
Cape Coral Fl 33990
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000,Garrett At PRO, Whites Surf Master PI, WHITES DFX, MINELAB EXCALIBER 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah well. I'm still sick. I lost an 1808 piece of 8 and a 1653 ? Piece of 8 also in soft plastic dubble pouch. I know how a lot of people feel whe they lose a ring or necklace. I took them with me to show people..they think we find this kind of stuff . I really liked the 1653 piece 8. It had a chunk cut off it. It would show how people made change back then. Then relate the 2-bit. 4-bit 6- bit story to them. Most people didn't know.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once lost a silver dollar it was in 1982 and I just received my first detector a white 5500. I took the coin out to test the detector by dropping the coin in the grass in front of me and never found it. I used to tell people who asked that the detector cost $401.00.Not my favorite but definitely my most memorable.Don

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After getting my new detector and back into MDing, one of my first finds was a mower bent Rosie. Being a hot day, I went to the local drinking establishment to get something cold. While there, I was showing off the dime. I swear I put it back into my pocket, but it never got home! :(

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i lost an 1886 indian head

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1917 Walking Liberty half dollar detecting... I cleaned it with water by my truck, and thought I put it inside... before I left the site, I had lost it... tore the truck apart, looked on the ground... still lost....

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my only 1826 1/2 Cent coin. Not many folks get in here but, a few have. I don't keep real close eyes on things and don't particularly put finds in great spots either. I do hope to find it one day soon. :icon_scratch: My oldest US coin.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread