Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help with a US soldier's tag

Hello all,

A friend of mine recently found this tag in France while metal detecting.

photo034.jpg

He thinks he was able to find back the soldier's identity :

NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

He then also found out that this gentleman is unfortunately deceased :

World War II Honoree

Everything seems to coincide.

Still, my friend would really love to return the tag to any remaining family member. He would love to get maybe a picture of this man to put it together with the tag and return it. When he wrote to me about this tag, you could tell he was moved by this discovery. But he is in France and he thought being here in the US, I might be able to help him. Hence this post.

Any help is welcome !!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if this is helpful but perhaps you might yield better results posting such question on a genealogy site.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thinking ! I figured some people in the metal detecting hobby might have faced similar situations/searches and would know how to proceed with locating this soldier's relatives.

But you sure gave me a very good advice. I will try to look into this. You know any good genealogy site you could recommend me?

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been awhile since I've done that kind of research but it would be good to ''Google''genealogy and expand your search there, if that doesn't get you started that it might be good to check with a librarian. If your near a library. Also it might be helpful to check with a veterans group.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Librarians know how to research. Military vets share a special bond they often go the extra mile for each other.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I followed your advice. Went to a very complete genealogy website and unfortunately I found out that this gentleman was apparently never married and has no possible relatives left. At least, none traceable. Really feel sorry about this. Thanks for your advice, it really helped.

warbike39

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would contact the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars)
in nor near Monroe Kentucky and ask for their help in locating any surviving family members. I'm sure they would be happy to help. My father is a member of the VFW in Alaska and they have done similar things.
Your friend in France is doing a great thing in trying to put these tags to rest.
Dave

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This should help:
MillerDon.W.Pfc.Route 3, Tompkinsville Ky.
I hope you find his kin and can return the tag; maybe in a Memorial Day ceremony at the family's nearest VFW or Am. Legion Post.
Don.....

Luv2fishcb

Feb 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact the VA. He may have been buried in a military cemetery. They also might have info on dependents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Call the Postmaster in Tompkinsville and tell him your story, then ask if that is still their address or is there a forwarding address on file for that family.
USPO Postmaster's office:

203 W Paige St,
Tompkinsville, KY 42167
(800) 275-8777
Don...

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local VA,Legion or VFW would be the best starting point.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Taltahull,
Specifically where in France were the tags found?
You can then estimate when they were lost when compared to the dates the 6th Armored Division was in that area.
It's all part of the story; I encourage you to stay with it.
Don.....

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your help ! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, been really busy these days.

Here are the infos I found through a Genealogy website : (following gamiller's advice)

The info I had : Don W Miller. Then according to the data my friend gave me, (he could find an exact match through the tag number) Don W Miller was born in 1923, in Monroe County, Kentucky

Birth Record :

Birth.png

Notice the year is ok, the name is ok, and also the birth location. So, I checked the info for this person.

Death Record :

Death.png

I then ran a living people search :

LivingPeopleSearch.png

And next screen gave me this :

LivingPeopleSearch2.png

Even though there is slight discrepancy between the birth date on the birth record (12/23/1923) and the data found through the living people search (12/21/1923), it seems it is not unusual in records.

It unfortunately seems there is no relative for this person.

I will however try to pinpoint the exact location the tag was found and will also give it a try with the local VA,Legion or VFW. Fortunately enough, it seems this gentleman did not lose his tag in a battle related way.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I do a lot of genealogy work, the most commonly available genealogy records (Family search of Latter day Saints) restrict records in the recent past to protect privacy of living people.

So, when you are looking for someone first hit the White Pages for the community. I think the 1940 census is online with Family Search, but don't think the 1950 or later are.

Also Zabasearch, which shows 100 Don Millers for Kentucky.

Sometimes you can get a hit on Ancestry.com and there may be a free trial period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread