silver ring found and stolen?

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
I was detecting the beach yesterday and got a nice 87 signal on my AT pro. I dug down about 4 inches and out popped a beautiful womans 925 ring! It must have weighed 6-7 grams and had a really ornate design. I went to the other side of the beach to keep detecting and a man approached me and asked what I had found. I told him that I found a silver ring and he asked if he could see it. All of the sudden a woman sitting in a nearby beach chair says "My mom lost a silver ring at the beach today, can I see it?" I pulled the ring out of my pocket to show the woman and before she even sees it she says "Yeah thats my Moms. I know because it says made in Mexico in it." I had checked the ring for markings numerous times and I knew the only marking was 925. I told her it didn't say that and she said "Oh I thought it did, well thank you." Then she walked away with my ring! After seeing that it didn't say made in Mexico, I thought she would return it. There are a few reasons why I believe the ring wasn't hers. First off, she said the ring was lost that day which wouldnt make sense because if it was, the ring wouldn't have been 4 inches deep, and you'd think she would be looking for it instead of just sitting around in her beach chair. Second, she said her Mom lost it and I didn't see her Mom anywhere. Also we were detecting by her chair for about 5 minutes before the man came, you'd think she would ask if we could look for her Moms ring. Another reason is she said the ring was her Moms before I even pulled it out of my pocket? And with the made in Mexico mark not there? It is possible that she was telling the truth, but I think next time I will ask the person a couple questions like where the ring was lost and what it looks like before I give it up. I know its only a silver ring and not that big of a deal to most people, but it was one of my best silver rings, and I have only found 2 this year.. It's upsetting how dishonest some people can be...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say, never show anybody anything you have found, while on the beach.
The only person I show my finds to, are a couple of metal detector guys, I know. We'll share with each other what we find, but no one else.
There are a lot of stories here, of folks who showed stuff to ppl, next thing you know the ppl go get a cop, cop makes you give them what you find. They are able to describe it perfectly to the cop, because you showed it to them earlier.
Live and learn. When ppl ask what you find, tell them "more trash than treasure", and leave it at that.

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why you don't show or tell people you found anything. The answer always is "Not much just some change and a lot of trash"

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Sorry to say, never show anybody anything you have found, while on the beach.
The only person I show my finds to, are a couple of metal detector guys, I know. We'll share with each other what we find, but no one else.
There are a lot of stories here, of folks who showed stuff to ppl, next thing you know the ppl go get a cop, cop makes you give them what you find. They are able to describe it perfectly to the cop, because you showed it to them earlier.
Live and learn. When ppl ask what you find, tell them "more trash than treasure", and leave it at that.

Yeah I definitely learned my lesson from that one.. I would have loved to return it if it was really her moms ring but I just don't think it was. I usaully keep my really good finds secret, I dont know what I was thinking :(

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
This is why you don't show or tell people you found anything. The answer always is "Not much just some change and a lot of trash"

Yeah im never showing anyone my finds again. I learned my lesson but it was a costly one...

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another tip is you can do what I do, anything junk goes in my pouch. Anything with value goes right into my cig pack. Therefore you can show people what you found with no concern really while keeping the good stuff hidden away safely.

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
At least it wasn't gold right?

Yeah that would have really sucked haha. Im thinking about bringing one of my other silver rings with me wherever I hunt so If anyone pulls that again I can ask is this yours? If they say its not you know theyre telling the truth but if they say it is theirs you can say no its not and you pull it out of their hand haha

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Another tip is you can do what I do, anything junk goes in my pouch. Anything with value goes right into my cig pack. Therefore you can show people what you found with no concern really while keeping the good stuff hidden away safely.

Yeah thats a good idea

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys must have a lot of time at the beach. I dont have time to show off what I find, or describe what my "giger counter" does. Sometime I chat with the other swingers, and we usually show anything good, and they might even tell me of an area where some gold was lost. But to hand a stranger your find, that just isnt the way its done. And why would you waste your time, playing tricks on people, to see if they are honest or not? Seems like asking for trouble. I just hunt and try to keep to myself.

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
You guys must have a lot of time at the beach. I dont have time to show off what I find, or describe what my "giger counter" does. Sometime I chat with the other swingers, and we usually show anything good, and they might even tell me of an area where some gold was lost. But to hand a stranger your find, that just isnt the way its done. And why would you waste your time, playing tricks on people, to see if they are honest or not? Seems like asking for trouble. I just hunt and try to keep to myself.

If no one bothered me I would not talk to anyone but theres constantly people walking by asking "Whats that you just found?" I made a mistake this time but I learned my lesson im just an honest person and I guess a lot of other people out there aren't so honest.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont you use ear phones? If you dont, then get em. Then when someone wants to have a conversation, just point to your ear phones and mumble that you cant hear them.

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Dont you use ear phones? If you dont, then get em. Then when someone wants to have a conversation, just point to your ear phones and mumble that you cant hear them.

Yes I own headphones and was using them but the problem is this one guy and his really obnoxious kids walked up to me and the kids were trying to grab my detector and trying to get the stuff out of my pouch and the guy kept asking what we found so I pretty much didn't have a choice lol usaully I try to avoid everyone but I couldnt do much about that one.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems some ppl have problems with bounderies. There should be NO reason whatsoever, for anyone to touch you, your detector, your person. That is a boundry violation, imo. You should also NEVER hand anything to someone you do not know.

I sometimes have small children try to get grabby, (they are usually too young to know better), I just stop, lift my detrector so they can't get to it, and start looking around for parents. I've only ever got rude with one adult lady who couldn't speak English and tryed grabbing at my backpack on SoBe. She understood "Don't touch me" and "get the f away from me", too.

Do what AT says too. Keep your good finds somewhere else. Just show folks your trash.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic cracker jack rings work wonders when they say I lost ring I say here is this it?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ever show or tell anyone what you found. Don't study any of your finds while detecting as you don't know who is watching you. The nicest PPL will swoop in to claim your find and if they know what it looks like a cop will make you hand it over. You can't argue with the police either. Save looking at it when you get home. ALWAYS slip it away like it was trash!!! :BangHead:

Don't try to play games with people. You never find anything but trash and hairpins, right!!!
Don't keep gold jewelry in a container around your neck but slip it into the trash pouch like it was really trash. Someone can follow you into the parking lot once they think they have a victim and they will then take the rings off your fingers to boot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Never ever show or tell anyone what you found. Don't study any of your finds while detecting as you don't know who is watching you. The nicest PPL will swoop in to claim your find and if they know what it looks like a cop will make you hand it over. You can't argue with the police either. Save looking at it when you get home. ALWAYS slip it away like it was trash!!! :BangHead:

Don't try to play games with people. You never find anything but trash and hairpins, right!!! Don't keep gold jewelry in a container around your neck but slip it into the trash pouch like it was really trash. Someone can follow you into the parking lot once they think they have a victim and they will then take the rings off your fingers to boot.

Good advice thank you

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why my pouch has an inside pocket hidden away.My good stuff is hidden away in there and all my junque is on the outside pocket of the mesh bag. I never tell anyone of my goods.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my good stuff goes into my pocket, not that i found much lately but that is where it'll go in the future. Also i carry a hori hori that looks menacing enough i hope and a flashlight that doubles as a max voltage tazer in case someone wants to get silly. I imagine it will work for any crazy dogs or animals if i run into em out here during my night hunts. But ya man just pull out a handful of those pulltabs we all carry after a few hours if you are pestered and tell them your cleaning up after trashy people all snooty like. Works for me the few times i been pestered so far. One by a dog walker and another by a police officer. Neither pressed the issue ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread