Hurricane Matthew uncovers WW II dog tags - Returned to the son of a war hero

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Returned WW II Dog Tags of Frank P. Mandaville Rogers!

I found this gentleman's WW II Dog Tags on October 14th while detecting a Florida beach after Hurricane Matthew. After some research I discovered this war hero passed away in 2010 at the age of 93. You can read about him here.

http://www.scnow.com/…/article_3ab8937e-c790-5fe7-9851-0b9e…

Mr. Rogers was a Marine Corps fighter pilot who flew planes on and off the deck of the Navy’s smallest aircraft carrier during World War II and later became a stunt pilot. He made his first parachute jump at the age of 65! He still water ski'd at the age of 89.

After a little bit of research I was able to contact his son, Frank M. “Buzz” Rogers IV, who lives in South Carolina. He was incredibly excited when I told him about my find. Last week the tags went out in the mail to be returned to Frank. He received them this past Monday. Apparently South Carolina TV station WPDE will be doing a story on the find.

To me this is one of my most memorable finds and one of my most cherished returns. I'm honored that God allows me to be useful like this. Feeling blessed. :)

October 14 16.jpg

Edited 11-20-16 Here is the local news story that aired yesterday and the day before. Apparently it's spreading US wide and they talked me into doing an interview. I think the camera added 50 pounds though :)

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/st-augustine-woman-finds-wwii-dog-tags-after-hurricane-matthew-returns-them-to-veterans-son/468578044

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should feel blessed, and you certainly were a blessing for this man's son! :thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome return. Great story. Congrats sir!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Karma heading your way. Bet that brought tears to his son's eyes to see his Dad's tags.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! i found a USMC dog tag on Guam back in the 80s. The battle was in the hills of Asan. The tag was in a fox hole that had both American and Japanese items in it that also included a few small human bones most likely finger or toe. I was never able to locate the man's relatives. The only thing i was able to find on the man was that he died of wounds suffered in the battle for Guam. I have since lost the Tag somewhere in my house but i do have a picture of it. Anyhow, its always good to see things of such a personal nature go back to the person or family.

all 1014.jpg
Sorry for the blur...its all i have at the moment. Maybe i will find the tag again and continue the search.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread