Help find family of a deceased WWII airman

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear colleagues,
we recently received informations about a pen of a deceased WWII airman. He was in crew of a crashed B-24 we found some time ago. This aircraft was shot down at 11 january 1943. For more informations about this research please visit here: Il Consolidated B-24 Liberator 11593
A man who live in area found in post war a pen with name of Julius P. Lewis who dead in crash site. He want contact family of Lewis to retunr this pen. Someone can help us to locate the family? Thanks.

Attachments

• JPLEWIS2.jpg
    JPLEWIS2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
  • JPLEWIS1.jpg
    JPLEWIS1.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 202

jakewilliam

Greenie
Jul 6, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local newspapers , radio stations usually love these stories and get the word out

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
An interesting find.
I'm working on your request and will give you periodic updates.
Update #1: 2nd Lt. Julius P. Lewis was attached to the 376th Bombing Group who, coincidentally, are having a Reunion next week. I have a call in to the Historian of that group and should receive a response; hopefully, today. Another coincidence, the 376th Bombing Group was, at one time, stationed at March Field, Riverside, Ca.--as was I during the Viet Nam years '63-'69- the Field then was named March AFB.
Don....

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mac, many thanks for your precious help. I hope in your good news!
Matteo,
An interesting find.
I'm working on your request and will give you periodic updates.
Update #1: 2nd Lt. Julius P. Lewis was attached to the 376th Bombing Group who, coincidentally, are having a Reunion next week. I have a call in to the Historian of that group and should receive a response; hopefully, today. Another coincidence, the 376th Bombing Group was, at one time, stationed at March Field, Riverside, Ca.--as was I during the Viet Nam years '63-'69- the Field then was named March AFB.
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Update #2: While I await word from the Historian, here's a sidebar story of the pilot of that last mission.
His name was John H. Payne and in 2001 he was inducted into the University of Texas (UT) Hall of Fame. As part of that ceremony, his bio was introduced which read in part:
Col. John Payne (Men's Golf)
Captain of the UT golf team that won three straight Southwest Conference Championships ... graduated in 1935 and left during first year of Law School to join Army Air Corps in 1936 ... assigned to duty in Africa in 1942 ... led first attack of his bomber group against Italian fleet ... awarded Silver Star and made Lt. Col ... completed tour of combat duty, but in January, 1943, volunteered to lead old unit over Italy and was transferred to Cairo ... killed in action during a bomber run ... Army airfield near Cairo was named "The John H. Payne Field" ... when airfield was turned over to Egypt, the plaque that hung there was given to UT and displayed in Gregory Gym for many years.
Don......

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story, I will be following this one!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
The Historian is still out of his office but he did give me a reply:
"Still on travel, so no access to my records.".... we have little to no info on them. I cannot recall how they got to the 376; i.e. replacements(?). Payne and Vanness were part of HALPRO, but the crews were being formed from new and experienced guys. As I noted, I can find the graves of 5 of the men, but Brown and Lewis are unknown. He posted a picture of Brown, but not sure where he got it. Would love to know the source. I would probably have to go to AFHRA and do a search, but I do not have the time right now. We have been contacted over the years by relatives of KIA and MIA men. Since we have not been contact do far, it may be due to their not being married or having children. So, now we are looking for nieces and nephews."

Matteo,I 'll stay with this and contact the AFHRA; meanwhile the Historian will be at the Reunion this week and might get lucky regarding Lewis, the Navigator. Lewis was most likely an officer. I'd favor he was a 1st Lt. since these crews were hand picked--the best of the best.
Don......

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks for your always precious help!!!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been following this thread! So hope this pen is reunited with this WWII Vet's family!

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank to all. Any idea to contact Herbert B. Lewis, of Silver Springs?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread