Could I start a small job finding lost rings?

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charge nothing to search. If you find it then ask for permission to search the whole yard and any other property they have. Creates Goodwill and will get some premium ground for metal detecting.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your time is much more valuable!!

If someone is contacting you for a lost ring, they have a couple hundred dollars USD to get you to find it

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your time is much more valuable!!

If someone is contacting you for a lost ring, they have a couple hundred dollars USD to get you to find it

What would you charge?

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't quit your day job. Ha ha

I found a ring on my neighbours lawn in like, 20 -30 mins. If I found someone's ring in even an hour... 25 bucks is way way more then I find in clad in several hours of hunting!!! Plus they might let me keep the coins I find which might have a few silvers because I've found several in near by playgrounds.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I let them decide what it's worth for me to conduct a search, within reason of course. If you leave it on a reward basis, you'd be surprised how generous some people can be. Naturally, if the search is out of town, or you need to pay for gas, tolls, parking, hotel, etc, that would be extra, and up front. Also, if the search area is huge (like a 1/4 mile of beach or several football field size lots) where it might take several hours or days, an hourly rate wouldn't be out of line.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I would probably focus more on posting on Craigslist or social media. Out of 100, how many people have lost something they need help with, 1 or 2? Your odds with flyers are probably not great.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive never taken a reward for finding and returning any jewelry or for finding other things such as property markers, sunglasses, keys, or septic system or water or gas shut offs
I did an article years ago stating that you could make money at offering to find all of the above and more
i was told that alot of gas and water companies charge a lot if they have to send out a guy to find a valve or shutoff - up to $80 and hour
Im sure if you advertised you would do it for half or less you would get some work - septic is the same - as well as property markers - I know a guy that works for the town
assessors office and he charges a pretty penny if he has to hire a guy to go out and find a properties markers - i did it for him for free a few times cause the property
was over 100 yrs old and told him only payment would be my getting to hit the rest of the property
4 out of 5 times i have found and returned a ring - i have found another gold one either right after or the next day - and i have returned quite a few
there is a site called ring finders that you can subscribe to and they put you in a directory - you explain where you will go and what you require for gas or travel
and for time spent and reward - i know handful of guys that make a few bucks doing that - one guy only excepts baked goods as a reward so what ever
floats your boat

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well along with the above items Casper mentioned... I have assisted in finding everything from buried family valuables to ordinance removal.

I actually did make money over my life finding things both with and without a detector so yes it can be done... IF done correctly.

I started finding things for people at a very young age without a detector... I spent many years growing up on marina docks and water in general... and for a tip or agreed bucks I would find anything dropped overboard... the Beeper days were good days for me... and anchors were my best friends at 20 bucks.
Anything and everything fell in the water... mainly right there at the marina and always whilst someone was boarding or un boarding a vessel.
Expensive glasses ... keys... wallets... being the top three in which people had to get back.

I am sure if I still did this that cell phones would be on the top of that list now days.

SO... I know for a fact... IF you do a proper "flyer" and "get the word out" via self promotion... AND you are professional at what you do... you can do anything. :)

FOR... there is a need for... and a shortage of... "finders of things."

It can be done.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive never taken a reward for finding and returning any jewelry or for finding other things such as property markers, sunglasses, keys, or septic system or water or gas shut offs
I did an article years ago stating that you could make money at offering to find all of the above and more
i was told that alot of gas and water companies charge a lot if they have to send out a guy to find a valve or shutoff - up to $80 and hour
Im sure if you advertised you would do it for half or less you would get some work - septic is the same - as well as property markers - I know a guy that works for the town
assessors office and he charges a pretty penny if he has to hire a guy to go out and find a properties markers - i did it for him for free a few times cause the property
was over 100 yrs old and told him only payment would be my getting to hit the rest of the property
4 out of 5 times i have found and returned a ring - i have found another gold one either right after or the next day - and i have returned quite a few
there is a site called ring finders that you can subscribe to and they put you in a directory - you explain where you will go and what you require for gas or travel
and for time spent and reward - i know handful of guys that make a few bucks doing that - one guy only excepts baked goods as a reward so what ever
floats your boat

I read your article. very good ideas. however i have to wait till i can drive before i can try most of them because my mom cant always take me. i only wanted to try my area where i could walk to... i know chances are slim but hey, its worth a shot and ive already found a ring on a lawn next door that they let me keep. thanks for taking the time to help!

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well along with the above items Casper mentioned... I have assisted in finding everything from buried family valuables to ordinance removal.

I actually did make money over my life finding things both with and without a detector so yes it can be done... IF done correctly.

I started finding things for people at a very young age without a detector... I spent many years growing up on marina docks and water in general... and for a tip or agreed bucks I would find anything dropped overboard... the Beeper days were good days for me... and anchors were my best friends at 20 bucks.
Anything and everything fell in the water... mainly right there at the marina and always whilst someone was boarding or un boarding a vessel.
Expensive glasses ... keys... wallets... being the top three in which people had to get back.

I am sure if I still did this that cell phones would be on the top of that list now days.

SO... I know for a fact... IF you do a proper "flyer" and "get the word out" via self promotion... AND you are professional at what you do... you can do anything. :)

FOR... there is a need for... and a shortage of... "finders of things."

It can be done.

wow that would be a fun way to make money! my uncle used to go out with my grandpa using a magnet on a string and go to a drain in the cement and pull out anything they could for fun. they didnt find much but they had fun

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Practice finding planted rings might help first.
Something about looking for particular lost items with a detector gets interesting.

An example from me would be , being the second detector looking for a land owners wifes particular thin gold chain lost on the possible site of a barn (soil floored and straw bedded , down a path and through a yard somewhere.

Lots of signals. Which one is a thin chain's whisper?
I struck out too. But it was a learning experience of hunting a very specific item in a large area. IF it was there. Ignoring things not a thin chain was normal hunting wracking.

Had another gal describe a spot in sight with a diamond ear ring (studded) in it.
High trash long strip. In between businesses.
I've not tried it.

A ring in a farm field long ago I was up for , but did not get a ride to the site and showing me the possible spot from the person who wanted it recovered as per my agreement.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think thats a great idea your doing a service to them for a small fee and you'll have fun doing it. If I find a ring and can return it I do but if you offer this as a service getting paid for your time is fair we all have to work why not do a job you love. Go for it My girl what do you have to lose and if you find stuff for people they were more than willing to pay cause otherwise they would never find it or have the chance to possibly find it .. Tommy

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d be very alert and extremely careful about showing up in places and dealing with strangers whom you do not know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions