WW2 Dog Tag Found in Fox hole on Guam. Help me build a profile.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this tag while digging in a fox hole on Guam back in the 1980's I tried for several years to locate next of kin with no success. I then lost the tag about 10 years ago.

4C4C0E23-12E0-46E8-AB5A-92C3F2E27580.jpeg

Yesterday, i found the tag and i am super excited to get back to building a profile on this fallen HERO with the ultimate goal of returning the tag to his next of kin.

Here is what i know.
William H. Dale gave the ultimate sacrifice for his country. He died between July 21st and August 10th 1944 while participating in the liberation of Guam. He was one of 1866 soldiers who was killed or died of wounds as a result of the battle.
His name is listed on the war in the pacific wall located at the battle site.

E3940965-5D91-45CE-8398-7D333A442326.jpeg

I have no other information on him.

If anyone here would like to help me find more information on him please feel free to post on this thread.
Place of birth? next of kin? Place he might be buried? Anything about his service would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I applaud you for doing your research I’m glad you located the tag again.best of luck to you

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUTSTANDING INFO! Thank you so much! So it looks like he may not have had a wife but maybe his brother had some children.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck to you. Hope you find a family member.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you. Hope you find a family member.

I hope i do as well...looks like he was just a kid. 19 years old. I will never forget digging the tag. A friend of mine was with me, a physicians Assistant. The fox hole had both American and Japanese items in it as well shell fragments that lead me to believe the fox hole took a hit.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched some more this morning for the family of Charles B. Dale and nothing.

I know his mother was Myrtle Bowman born 1902. Married Henry Dale Sept 1920 in Indiana. Had Charles June 1921.

I find a couple of Draft cards and an enlistment record for him in 1945. After that he falls off the face of the earth - or at least the internet.

At this point I am NOT 100% sure his middle name is Breckenridge. May be "Bowman" after his mother... Also not 100% sure of the death date as I can't locate that info again.

You may want to repost or have this thread moved to the 'What Is It' or 'Today's Finds' forum to get more exposure.

A few years ago my brother (retired Air Force) found a WWII dog tag on the beach at Pililaau Army Recreation Center. He looked down and there it was sticking out of the sand. We easily tracked the guys information. He died in the late 90's without any descendants.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched some more this morning for the family of Charles B. Dale and nothing.

I know his mother was Myrtle Bowman born 1902. Married Henry Dale Sept 1920 in Indiana. Had Charles June 1921.

I find a couple of Draft cards and an enlistment record for him in 1945. After that he falls off the face of the earth - or at least the internet.

At this point I am NOT 100% sure his middle name is Breckenridge. May be "Bowman" after his mother... Also not 100% sure of the death date as I can't locate that info again.

You may want to repost or have this thread moved to the 'What Is It' or 'Today's Finds' forum to get more exposure.

A few years ago my brother (retired Air Force) found a WWII dog tag on the beach at Pililaau Army Recreation Center. He looked down and there it was sticking out of the sand. We easily tracked the guys information. He died in the late 90's without any descendants.

Thank you for all your help...you got way further than i was able to get.

This very well may be a no descendants tag. If that turns out to be the case, I can at least say he is not forgotten.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

1.[SIZE=3em;]DALE, WILLIAM HENRY [/SIZE]
PFC US MARINE CORPS
WORLD WAR II
DATE OF BIRTH: 04/14/1925
DATE OF DEATH: 08/05/1944
BURIED AT: SECTION A SITE 1085

ZACHARY TAYLOR NATIONAL CEMETERY
4701 BROWNSBORO ROAD LOUISVILLE, KY 40207
(502) 893-3852

You may wish to call the Cemetery, tell them your story and request next of kin information they may have.
A fair assumption is that this hero came from the Louisville area.

Don....

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1.[SIZE=3em;]DALE, WILLIAM HENRY [/SIZE]
PFC US MARINE CORPS
WORLD WAR II
DATE OF BIRTH: 04/14/1925
DATE OF DEATH: 08/05/1944
BURIED AT: SECTION A SITE 1085

ZACHARY TAYLOR NATIONAL CEMETERY
4701 BROWNSBORO ROAD LOUISVILLE, KY 40207
(502) 893-3852

You may wish to call the Cemetery, tell them your story and request next of kin information they may have.
A fair assumption is that this hero came from the Louisville area.

Don....

Thank you! I will give them a call on Monday and report back what they say.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times the internment company has a list of relatives to them! Might check in the news papers for the internment and a list of next of kin.
Iam proud of you for what you have done so far.

GOOD LUCK

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I applaud you for your efforts.
DOW, Died of Wounds usually means his death was on a hospital ship or hospital somewhere other than the battlefield. The burial at a Stateside cemetery is also another indication that the death was on a ship or hospital. The severely battle damaged bodies were buried on Guam, some but not all were later re-patriated to the US after the war. Battlefield deaths even those at aid stations were listed as KIA.
Great information! I assumed he died from an explosion given the amount of shell fragments found in the fox hole.
He may have occupied the hole before or after the explosion.

Russoca

Jan 31, 2019
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-Tracker, Nokta Macro Simplex+
Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread