The Lost Mines of the Desert - Part III: The Peg -Leg Mine

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys

Rich,

I don't know how straight up your friend is, but there is a story that is supposed to have happened in or in the vicinity of Amboy Crater. No proof exists, but the story goes that a couple of detectorists recovered some gold from the lava rock inside the crater. Amboy Crater is just outside Amboy, Ca. I've looked through the place, and never saw any gold.

I've been to and looked over many of the places that supposedly were the source of black nuggets. Very few had any REAL potential. I think that over the years, people who were REALLY looking for the black nuggets, came up with stories to send the hoi polloi out as far away from where they were looking as possible. I honestly think that there only about three or four places that hold any real possibilities.

Best-Mike

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Mike,
I have been to the Amboy crater, but not looking for nuggets.
My friend used to spend a lot of time wandering around the Borrego area and some
time in the Chocolate Mountains also. Kinda vague, but that's all I can think of regarding
his story.
The John Mitchell story on the old trail east of Dos Palmas, and generally west of Corn
Springs had 3 small hills, I have always wondered if that one was Pegleg's real location.
When it cools off some I will be out wandering the desert again with the detector.
Cheers,
Rich

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to go out when the weather is milder. Too many people wandering around. I like the hottest part of the Summer, in the middle of the week. Nobody else out there, and the Park Rangers stay in their air conditioned offices. HAHAHA

Best-Mike

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I have been harassed by the Border Patrol when parked out there.
"What are you doing here!" Of course I answered "Life, Liberty, and the
Pursuit of Happiness". "OUT HERE!" He kept using "the voice" on me
and I pointed out that I had been going there since before he was born.
He finally relented when he found out I was a veteran and must be OK.
Also I am really fine with super hot weather, but a little tough on the vehicles.
Ah, what a hobby.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread