Lost Pegleg Sequel

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
In view of the very interesting posts on the previous Topic about Desert Magazine's "Mr. Pegleg," I thought some Pegleg Hunters would be interested in this entry from Karl von Mueller's Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting (The Blue Book of Treasure Hunting) [Weeping Water, Nebraska: 1965; Reprinted San Francisco: 1990].

It is a good measure of the tremendous amount of useful information contained in this slim volume that, although I believe I know it as well as anyone (and I certainly should!), every time I pick it up and read it I learn something new. It is a remarkable reference work!

Lost Pegleg Sequel: On 28 Apr. 1956, Herman Hill (Norwalk, Calif) brought a gallon gasoline can full of brown-blue encrusted nuggets the size of beans to Dean Miller, editor of the National Prospector's Gazette & swore him to secrecy before telling the following story: He & his father, years before, had followed a map to a point in the Chuckwalla mtns where they found 3 hills joined together. They prospected them all but found the 'beans' in the can on only one of the hills. For 25 years, before & after his father died, they or he had made annual trips to these hills & packed out all of the 'beans" they could carry. A process using acid & lye was used to clean the nuggets which were sold to doctors, dentists, & assayers.

This was, of course, when the Gold Act was in force and private ownership of refined gold in any form other than jewelry was illegal. Gold nuggets sold at a premium substantially above $35 per oz. because that was the only legal avenue for owning gold. Careful readers of KvonM's works will understand why doctors and dentists purchased these nuggets. And why the EBTH has an entry for "Hammondize."

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo wrote, " brought a gallon gasoline can full of brown-blue encrusted nuggets the size of beans to Dean Miller " not black nuggets. There have been many places that gold has been found. I can see where no one could dispute this, but why would they ??? these ( unfortunately ) are not the black nuggets... But a GREAT read, for peglophiles like myself and others.. Got any more ???

Thankx
PLL

PS; I just got back off the desert about 2 hrs ago and will be posting some new pixs and a update on what Bruce Huffington and myself found... Here's a little to whet your appetite

Could this be ???
DSC_0053_1.JPG

BruceHuffington

Feb 13, 2006
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a pretty cool picture. Three butes and some macho guy by a bad arse truck.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol macho guy by a bad arse truck eh? You are too funny! Looks like you guys sure found a great area for scenery as well.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karl was a great treasure hunter and a great person, and a great writer. May he rest in peace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread