The TRUE story of pegleg and the Squaw !!!

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
This is the earliest account that I have on the Squaw story, that talks about the same nuggets that pegleg found. In fact, she may have been peglegs wife. Remember there were about 3 to 4 peglegs, and this one is most likely the soldier that either deserted or simply did his time and left. This is from a manuscript to very well known book that was published in 1941. The author quotes July 1877 as the time of the story, and to my knowledge this is the earliest I have ever read..Besides Thomas L Smith had already passed in 1866, so this cannot be the same man.

Enjoy
PLL

squaw1.jpg
squaw2.jpg
squaw3.jpg
squaw4.jpg

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
TAG post - please ignore :tongue3:

MUCHAS GRACIAS amigo Pegleglooker for posting this! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
PLL:

When I posted the "Lost Mines of the Desert" yarn about the Lost Pegleg, I missed the fact that you'd already posted this. My apologies! If I'd seen it I would certainly have referenced it.

Is this from the Golden Mirages ms.?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this is from Golden Mirages but this is from the notes that Bailey used for his book. I have over 1000 pages of Baileys notes and it is a treasure trove within it's self !!!!!!

Thx
PLL

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
PLL:

I can see how those notes could be quite useful! Sometimes it isn't what an author writes - it's what the author leaves out that matters.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo said:
PLL:

I can see how those notes could be quite useful! Sometimes it isn't what an author writes - it's what the author leaves out that matters.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

I have always said that a book is what the publisher wants, not necessarily what the writer wants. So to truly understand what the writer intended to say one MUST get his notes...

Thx
PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions