Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Awhile back someone was talking about a rock with the inscription " pegleg smith 1854 ". This rock is near the Azalea Wash near the Old Woman Mts.. The rock has the name Zalia Springs carved into it, no doubt a oldtimer way of spelling Azalea. I did a little research and this " may " be from the original pegleg Thomas L Smith. Here is a newspaper account and the dates, he would have left San Bernardino mid May 1854 and was on his way back by June of the same year. Here is the newspaper articles...

Pegleg1854.jpg

Pegleg carving.jpg

and here is a pix from Google Earth

peglegs rock.jpg

So there you have it, you now know where the rock is, and it should make a GREAT roadtrip. If anyone heads out and finds it PLEASE post your pixs !!!! I would also like to thank the girls at www.dzrtgrls.com for sharing their info. And if you have the time, their site is a MUST see for those of us that love old mines and traveling the back country ( they have 8 years of pixs online ).The ladies will LOVE their pixs of flowers and wildlife as well.

Enjoy
PLL

Ujeanjp

Jul 31, 2009
All,

I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. I have been crazy about Pegleg and his black gold for at least 38 years. I became aware of the story while working at Desert Printers in Palm Desert while a young student at Collage Of The Desert (around 1971). I had just finished high school and thought a college Draft Deferment was preferable to a tour in Southeast Asia.

While working for Desert Printers, my boss, after I told him I was into hunting Indian Artifacts and lost Treasures, introduced me to his wife, who was circulation manager for Desert Magazine.

To my suprise, she showed me a display of gold nuggets and gave me a copy of the 1965 issue of DM with the "Man who found Peglegs Gold" story.

Needless to say I was hooked, my 1949 Willys and I spent alot of time "in search".

I graduated from Borrego Springs High School, lived in Ocotillo Wells (somewhat across the highway from where the Ranger station is now) and was quite at home in the desert.

I will be retiring in the next few years and had planned to spend more time "in search" but must confess that I am just a bit upset and depressed at the prospect of the Peppers having made up the Mr. Pegleg story, as it gave me great hope.

It has been alot of years past, but as I remember it, the display of nuggets was made up of not just a few but perhaps twenty or more weighing up to 3 ozs most black but some were "cleaned up" gold colored.

Anyway, I hope you all continue to ponder and investigate, I'm not through yet !!

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ujeanjp,
Welcome to Tnet, I'm sure you will fit right in with the rest of us....Would love to hear what kind of " notes " you were able to amass over 38 yrs.. LOL I have been on the trail awhile as well, and if you would like to go over some stuff feel free to PM me. I have always thought that a " team " of people would be more apt to find it than just one person.

Again welcome aboard
PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
WELCOME TO TREASURENET Ujeanjp !!! :icon_thumleft: Ditto to the remarks of our amigo Pegleglooker, please do continue! Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco
:coffee2: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread