ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Pegleglooker wrote
Hey gang,
I was just wondering if anyone thought of trying to find where the " man who found pegleg's gold " really lived. According to the story, he buries sooo many cans of $20 gold pieces, that he couldn't remember where they all are. Would probably be a tough case but then.......

Yep that would really be a tremendously difficult tough case - especially since the whole story was made up out of whole cloth right? <Ala C.P.? if memory serves> Wouldn't that make it extra tough to find his $20 gold pieces? I am guessing of course.
Oroblanco

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Oro,
You know, I might have a bit more on this next week.... I will be meeting with Choral's daughter on wed, and i have a few questions for her. Including what happened to the necklace that was made from one of the lost nuggets.... I'll let you know what I find out....

PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigo Pegleglooker,
I don't have doubts about whether they were gold nuggets, seems that several people have held them in hand and were convinced they were real gold nuggets. Just the story about how they came to be in their (Peppers') possession, which if memory serves you informed me was a work of fiction. As you wrote,

hey gang,
What I'm about to get into could cause some " spirited " conversation. I am only going to tell you what I have been told and what I have learned so far. According to a very reliable and good friend of mine ( who used to be a writer for Desert Magazine ), The story of " The Man Who Found Pegleg's Gold " was a hoax... He told me that during the time that Jack and Choral Pepper owned the magazine, things weren't always great. The cost to produce the magazine versus how many subscribers they had, was leading them to a financial demise. They needed something to kick start their membership, so Jack invented the story, and BOY did the membership jump!!!!

<from http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,211321.msg1518142.html#msg1518142>

So if the story was fabrication, what $20 gold pieces could there be? I am baffled with this line of thinking amigo, and would appreciate if you would shed some light - thank you in advance, ??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :help:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Oro,
What i said above is the truth that was told to me by a Desert mag writer from the mid 70's. Whether it is true or not is what I am trying to find out. I would like to believe that the writer I talked to, was simply angry at the Peppers for what ever reason, but that " may " not be the truth. Meaning, there may be more to the story. The gold was real as you have said and I surely concur. But what happen to it ??? According to Choral's book Desert Lore of Southern California, she left it all at the offices of Desert mag except for one piece that she had made into a necklace. Sooooooo where is this necklace ?? Was Choral buried with it ??? Was it given to her children ??? Is it still in boxes somewhere in a ttic or cellar ??? I have not left this story alone, I am looking into it. I will also keep you TOTALLY informed. I simply asked the main question here ( where are the $20 gold pieces ) just to see if anyone had any input to validate the hoax or dispel it..... As you see, there were no takers either way... But as I said before, I am lucky enough to be able to have lunch with Choral daughter next week, and I will be asking her some deep questions..... Will she have the answer ??? I truly don't know, but I will let you know what I find out...

Your Friend
PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Muchas gracias compadre - as I posted, this thread just baffled me since you had brought the whole hoax to light, then to examine where this mythical person lived didn't make sense.

As you still have questions (I presume) about whether this was truly a hoax or not, then it makes sense. If the person was real, there could be stash(es) to find. Interesting way to go after it amigo, you would make a great detective! :icon_thumleft:
Oroblanco

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
I am lucky enough to be able to have lunch with Choral daughter next week, and I will be asking her some deep questions..... Will she have the answer ??? I truly don't know, but I will let you know what I find out...

I'm sure I am not the only one here that is curious about the outcome of your lunch date. Where did you go? What did you order? How was the traffic getting there? Oh yeah, and did you learn anything about the topic at hand?

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
auferret said:
pegleglooker said:
I am lucky enough to be able to have lunch with Choral daughter next week, and I will be asking her some deep questions..... Will she have the answer ??? I truly don't know, but I will let you know what I find out...

I'm sure I am not the only one here that is curious about the outcome of your lunch date. Where did you go? What did you order? How was the traffic getting there? Oh yeah, and did you learn anything about the topic at hand?

Hey Gang,
Sorry about updating this post, but things got a bit busy.... I did meet Choral's daughter and spent about 6 hours with her, she had some amazing stories. She did ask that I not make a lot of it public and so I think it's best to keep that commitment. But she did give me " possible " line on where the nuggets MAY be.... If I do find them I will let people know ( unless sworn to secrecy ). As far as the whole story " possibly " being a fake, she was unaware..... but said that it was conceivable....

PLL

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update PLL. I certainly understand not being able to share what you learned from her. It would also make sense if you just didn't want to share yet or at all. I'm glad that you were able to meet with her and hope you get more opportunities like this in the future.

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there PLL, I was wondering when the Peppers bought the magazine?
And when they sold it, or what ever happened?
You see my father as so many did in 1965 think that gold nuggets had been found. So he quit looking for it. I have a Desert from 1950 that dad had keep that he used as a clue. I relize I am way behind on this subject but just thought I wood check some things out? Are you familar with the 1946 article on the same subject?

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Arid,
Choral met Jack Pepper in Las Vegas ( Jack worked for a local newspaper- he was a TRUE writer ), Choral thought she might be able to write, so she took some courses and later married Jack ( I'm glad she took the courses, because she became a GREAT writer ). Choral's family ( I think... Her father was from Utah and did very well for himself ) put up the money and Jack ran the magazine. However over time Choral took over and divorced Jack. I think they bought the magazine in the early 60's....Check out the pegleg post to catch up... it may take a little time...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,44564.0.html

Enjoy
PLL

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Thanks. I read every thing last night. My dad looked for this gold with a guy named gatewood. They even bought a plane, a twin engine Howard, in 1952 i think that was the year, anyway they were out searching and got into a hail storm, it was in the spring. The hail punched holes in the fabric wings and they had to lane out in the desert. They walked to the rail line and caught a ride to Yuma, bought all the white medical tape they could and went back to the plane and typed it up and flew back to Yuma. Dad was in the Army AirCorps, got out in 48. I believe worked on the plane in Yuma,, Anyway, when I got his stuff, after going to the happy huntin grounds,there was this Desert Mag with a book mark. He must have used this article for a tip. So i am wondering if any body on the thread has looked up Rilley Baker or family as being the one who found the nuggets?
Hope this works. The first one didn't.
[attach #1]
page 2
[attach #2]
last page
[attach #3]

Attachments

• #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • #2.JPG
    #2.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,104
  • #3.JPG
    #3.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,110

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arid, thanks muchfor the new info. very interesting.
are you searching or plan to search for the area in question? take care and be safe out there. ron

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
The " Swampers Story " is a well known one, a early teamster finds heavy black rocks that he uses to keep cattle in line on the way to market. He shows his young daughter where he thinks the nuggets are, and then she goes looking for them during the depression ( years later )...... Cattle was usually run through along the old Butterfield trail and up to Warners Ranch and on to Temecula. From there they were loaded on trains and off to LA... I am of firm belief that Peglegs gold is in the old Carrizo Impact Area which has been off limits for decades ( if you go in it is a $2900 fine PER PERSON ). This is very close to the Butterfield route and some of these rocks " may " have found their way into the hands of the old teamsters.. Here are some basic maps of the area so you guys can get a idea....

Enjoy
PLL

peglegmap1.jpg

peglegmap2.jpg

peglegmap3.jpg

peglegmap4.jpg

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks much for putting up the maps and yes there is an area that is off limits.
i believe the nugs are still around there but not worth getting fined and probably locked up.
once again, thanks much. take care and be carefull out there.

ron

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Why Is It Off Limits ?
I Cant Seem To Get My Head Around That One ?
Private Land Or Just Dangerous Grounds ?

Never Mind An Old WWII Bombing Range :violent1:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gaijun,
The funny thing about the Carrizo Impact Area ( CIA ), is that the Navy handed it back to the state park, but the state park said it wasn't clean enough. So the Navy went back out and cleaned it a second time and the state accepted it. But in less than 3 years some idiot was out there and tried to dig up some old ordnance for a souvenir and blew his arm off ( early 60's ). So the state park people said if the Navy was not going to be responsible for the safety of people they did not want it back... And it has been in the Navy's hand ever since..... I have found a couple of people who have legal access to it, however they are not willing to take anyone out very easily.... One has to " work " to get them to allow you to tag along... and yes I am working on it :-)

PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I was told it is quite safe as long as you stay on the roads..... But I will keep you informed...

PLL

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Peg, Isn't Carizzo on the FUDs list? Thought they were going to send EOD out to clean up the live stuff & clean up the lead blah blah blah. Guess they might have run out of money or excuses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread