My Theory on PEG LEGS BLACK GOLD NUGGETS

Mikeysgold

Mar 2, 2011
I am new to this thread so hello everyone and I appreciate all the contributions from everyone.

My two cents worth here...

First I want to say that I do believe in the Peg Leg Gold. Every legend has some basis in fact. The reality though is with time, stories become misinterpreted, misunderstood, twisted and sometimes darkened... So, it is what it is.

How many times has someone said turn left when you know they meant to say turn right? East when they meant west.

Also, when you are tired, thirsty and lost, the desert can mess with your mind. Panic can set in and impair your judgment. Peg leg may not have been where he thought he was before the sandstorm. He could have just as easily veered south (of the trail, instead of north of the trail) of where he thought he was either before of after the storm. Experienced pilots have gone through thick fog and thinking they were ascending when actually they were descending.

When I was 15 and deer hunting with my dad out of Wilson Arizona in the winter with snow everywhere and no sun. I can tell you in an instant, I became separated from my dad and got lost to where I couldn't tell north from south and was lost for several hours. I have seen sand storms block out the sun and visibility becomes zero.

My experience is that if you don't know where you are, it is difficult at best to know where you are going. Peg Leg could have gone north towards the Salton or south of Carrizo into Mexico.

Another thought... Its one thing to know there is $1 million worth gold dust in a large mound of dirt, but quite another thing to see an actual 1 ounce solid gold nugget. That can also mess with your mind. When peg Leg found out years later that he discovered a treasure, he may have gone slightly insane of the thought of struggling all those prior years with a nice treasure right in his pocket. That may have altered his memory of the location.

Back to my theory on the Black Nuggets...

The Peg Leg gold is part of what the Spanish called "Cibola"... the Legendary 7 cities of gold in Mexico (at the time of the discovery of Cibola and hundreds of years ago, the area which is now southern California was once part of Mexico). After the Spanish discovery of Cibola and before the subsequent expedition to recover the gold from Cibola, the Indians realized the Spaniards where only interested in plundering the sacred Indian land and decided at all cost to prevent the Spaniards (and all whites) from ever getting the gold. The gold was gathered from the rivers and streams and then they camouflage the gold by coating with magnetite. The gold was then moved to several and unknown locations (possibly even locations where gold is not possibly native, or locations experienced prospectors would obviously not look ) where it would seem to blend or not stand out yet close enough to Indian villages that some could be gathered to trade with when necessary.

This would explain why the nuggets are rounded (from river movement) compared to the surrounding rocks.

Once news of the 1949 gold discoveries in California spread, the Indians buried much of the gold to keep it out of the hands of the greedy whites (no offense meant here as I am white). This would partially explain why Peg Leg himself could never relocate the gold.

Another important point to consider... The US Government was likely aware of the Legend and may have removed whatever gold remained after creating the Carizzo bombing range (and other bombing ranges).

Mikey

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
WELCOME TO TREASURENET Mikey! :hello2: :hello: :thumbsup:

Thank you for posting your theory! I look forward to reading more, :read2:
your new friend,
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mikey and Welcome to Tnet !!!!!
Well, where do I start..... I think most Thr's that hunt for Pegleg have their own view of where the treasure is. The trick is to separate the stories ( because sometimes they are thoroughly intermixed ) from themselves and then to separate the fiction from fact. One of the hardest things to truly understand is what newspapers have written as well. They have been known to " sensationalized " their stories for years in order to sell more newspapers. So sometimes what you read is not necessarily true as well, but after reading all of this you start to see patterns and can begin to identify the fact from non fact. One of the earliest searchers was a man named Tom Cover who actually met some of the true players in the originally stories. But he lost his life " allegedly " in the badlands looking for Pegs lost gold. Of all the Smiths Thomas L was the most widely known, he was with a group of trappers back in the early 1800's that did find gold, but he was not the one who found it. He was with the George " Dutch " Yount group, and they thought it was native copper and made bullets out of it. In 1854 he started a expedition to go look for " his " gold in 1854 but it was a disaster. Anyway, I don't want to bore you with all of my rhetoric and I'm sure you read the Pegleg post, so I will be listening intently to what you have to share.... and looking forward to it.....

PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Mikey,

A problem with your theory is that PL knew where he was going. He climbed the middle of the three hills to get above the sandstorm and get his bearings. He would not have been off so far as to be in Mexico, and the Salton Sea did not exist until about 1905. Previous to that it was called the Salton Sink (by which it is still known today).

The route from Yuma to Los Angeles was a very well traveled one. If you have ever traveled the Western portion of it, you would see that getting lost is not easy if you know the route. There are several VERY LARGE landmarks to navigate by:

1. Signal Mountain; Just South of the border, it is a solitary peak that seriously stands out.

2. Coyote Mountains; The next set of mountains to the North of Signal MT are the Coyotes. Large mountains.

3. Fish Creek Mountains; The next set of mountains to the North of the Coyotes. More very large mountains.

4. Borrego Mountain; North of the Fish Creeks, the triple-peaked Borrego Mt is the turning point in the trail West to L.A. Here, you pick up San Felipe Creek and follow it through Grapevine Canyon up into Warner Ranch.

5. Santa Rosa Mountains; These six to eight thousand foot peaks are the sign that says you have gone too far.

An accomplished traveler like PL might have had his bearings a little off, but as soon as he got above the sandstorm and saw where he was, he would be right as rain.

Mike

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No updates today, but tomorrow is another day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread