Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What was the route?

I realize this may be a silly question to ask but what was the route Pegleg would have taken from Yuma to L.A? I was reading some of the older threads and there was some debate about whether it was north of the Salton Sea or south of it. It seems that south would have been a more direct route. Also, the Salton Sea wasn't even formed at that point, right? So it's entirely possible that his gold is submerged under the sea now? What am I missing here?

um
    Dec 2008
    894 times

Re: What was the route?

C-12: Pegleg Looker posted a nice map on this thread: The Lost Mines of the Desert - Part III: The Peg -Leg Mine (below).

While there wasn't a Salton "Sea" back then, there was a depression - the Salton Sink. There had to be a low spot for the water to fill in.

You've put your finger on the key to the mystery - Where Is It?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: There are a lot more silly answers than there are silly questions...
    Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I'm convinced that if it exists, it's submerged right now. How many people have tried diving and searching in the Salton Sea?

Apr 2006
    Los Angeles
    Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
    46 times

Hey CustomX,
    The Salton Sea is 31 feet deep average, max is 52 feet. Look for the 3 hills sticking
    up above the water, couldn't be easier.
    Rich

Sponsors