Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Did the "Lost Pegleg Mine" ever exist?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    SoCal
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    5085 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks JB,

Its at the farthest West Side Base of Borrego Mountain. You can actually see it from when you are driving on San Felipe Creek from HWY78 (if you know where to look):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010501.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	1193279

....and here with a bit of zoom:

Name:	P1010502.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	1193280

Nothing lost about that thing. It was somewhere not far to the right of the picture, that Adolph Ruth fell into an arroyo, broke his leg, and stayed there for three days before his son and search parties found him. The pins and screws they put in his leg are how they identified his skeleton in 1931.

Well, keep in mind that there are THREE TYPES of "Black Gold" Nuggets:

1. Black Oxide Coated from Copper

2. Desert Varnish Coated

3. Gold Nuggets in lava/cinder/pumice.

Mike
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

Check out 1ORO1.COM

us
    El Dorado: Gold is where you find it.

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA
    1630 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Thanks JB,

Its at the farthest West Side Base of Borrego Mountain. You can actually see it from when you are driving on San Felipe Creek from HWY78 (if you know where to look):

Name:	P1010501.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	1193279

....and here with a bit of zoom:

Name:	P1010502.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	1193280

Nothing lost about that thing. It was somewhere not far to the right of the picture, that Adolph Ruth fell into an arroyo, broke his leg, and stayed there for three days before his son and search parties found him. The pins and screws they put in his leg are how they identified his skeleton in 1931.

Well, keep in mind that there are THREE TYPES of "Black Gold" Nuggets:

1. Black Oxide Coated from Copper

2. Desert Varnish Coated

3. Gold Nuggets in lava/cinder/pumice.

Mike
    Mike,
    Thanks for the confirmation. That is the hole I saw. There were a couple of people standing around the area, so I didn't get too close. I may go check it out anyway, but at least I'll know what it is. Also, thanks for the added info about the black gold. I was aware of the desert varnish and the copper oxide, but I wasn't aware of the lava/cinder/pumice.

JB

us

Jan 2006
    SoCal
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    5085 times
    Yes. While there are three types, only #1 is authentic Peg Leg Black Gold!

Mike

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

Check out 1ORO1.COM

us

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA
    1630 times
    Yes. While there are three types, only #1 is authentic Peg Leg Black Gold!

Mike
    Well, that may be a little debatable, and I know you are always willing to debate. Using PegLegLookers classifications of the various Peglegs, the “Original” PegLeg’s gold was the copper oxide type, but it was found (probably) in the vicinity of the Virgin River near where it flowed into the Colorado. Nowhere near SoCal. “Warner” Smith’s gold seems to have been of the desert varnish type (see post # 160, Pegleg’s black Gold Nuggets thread), because he said “when I knocked a couple of em together, a coatin’ of varnish come off…” . “Yuma” Smith’s gold seems likely to have been from a “bust up”, with coarse gold found in “black quartz”, although, that could be somewhat debatable as well, as there are several overlapping tales here, most of which include black pebbles of unknown type. Crazy Ike’s nuggets may be either lava/cinder/pumice or desert varnish, although I would tend towards the lave/cinder/pumice type, since they were reportedly found near a volcanic cone. The nuggets found by John Mitchell (which may or may not be associated with one or more of the Peglegs) were desert varnish or perhaps type 3, lava/cinder/pumice as well. Mitchell’s nuggets were associated with brown hematites, which are mentioned in at least one other reported black nugget discovery, those found by the unknown mule driver near the Chocolate’s. Herman Hill’s nuggets were Copper Oxide type I have no doubt that all three types are, or were present in the SoCal area. With that being said, if I can find some (and that does seem possible, as it seems to be scattered across a very large area of SoCal, albeit in small quantities in most areas), I won’t care what type it is, or if it is associated with any of the Peglegs.
    Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.

us

Jan 2006
    SoCal
    5085 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
    Well, that may be a little debatable, and I know you are always willing to debate. Using PegLegLookers classifications of the various Peglegs, the “Original” PegLeg’s gold was the copper oxide type, but it was found (probably) in the vicinity of the Virgin River near where it flowed into the Colorado. Nowhere near SoCal. “Warner” Smith’s gold seems to have been of the desert varnish type (see post # 160, Pegleg’s black Gold Nuggets thread), because he said “when I knocked a couple of em together, a coatin’ of varnish come off…” . “Yuma” Smith’s gold seems likely to have been from a “bust up”, with coarse gold found in “black quartz”, although, that could be somewhat debatable as well, as there are several overlapping tales here, most of which include black pebbles of unknown type. Crazy Ike’s nuggets may be either lava/cinder/pumice or desert varnish, although I would tend towards the lave/cinder/pumice type, since they were reportedly found near a volcanic cone. The nuggets found by John Mitchell (which may or may not be associated with one or more of the Peglegs) were desert varnish or perhaps type 3, lava/cinder/pumice as well. Mitchell’s nuggets were associated with brown hematites, which are mentioned in at least one other reported black nugget discovery, those found by the unknown mule driver near the Chocolate’s. Herman Hill’s nuggets were Copper Oxide type I have no doubt that all three types are, or were present in the SoCal area. With that being said, if I can find some (and that does seem possible, as it seems to be scattered across a very large area of SoCal, albeit in small quantities in most areas), I won’t care what type it is, or if it is associated with any of the Peglegs.
    In that last line, we are in complete agreement. I don't give a crap if it is coarse gold layered in dogsh*t. I will gladly take gold in ANY form! Most of the black nugget stories place them under a few feet of blowsand, so much looking will have to be done with a good Pulse Induction Gold Machine. If you are looking for surface nuggets , or nugs within a few inches of the surface you could use any gold machine (or any metal detector for that matter).

I will share another little tidbit that I don't think a lot of people know. One of the nuggets from the Ocotillo Area was tested, and as I recall, it was 73% gold, with most of the rest being copper and silver. I think they said it was about .900 fine (about 18 karat). The black coating was from copper oxidizing.

Bookaroo,

The book "Legendary and Geological History of Lost Desert Gold" came in yesterday. I blasted through it last night. Except for the geological stuff, most of the stories were just rehashes of the same stories that have been around about that region forever. It was very good though. Some of the stories I hadn't seen in a long time, so I have to say I enjoyed it, and I will be keeping it. Thanks for the reference.

Mike
    Last edited by gollum; Jul 31, 2015 at 06:14 PM.

Check out 1ORO1.COM

us

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA
    1630 times
    In that last line, we are in complete agreement. I don't give a crap if it is coarse gold layered in dogsh*t. I will gladly take gold in ANY form! Most of the black nugget stories place them under a few feet of blowsand, so much looking will have to be done with a good Pulse Induction Gold Machine. If you are looking for surface nuggets , or nugs within a few inches of the surface you could use any gold machine (or any metal detector for that matter).

I will share another little tidbit that I don't think a lot of people know. One of the nuggets from the Ocotillo Area was tested, and as I recall, it was 73% gold, with most of the rest being copper and silver. I think they said it was about .900 fine (about 18 karat). The black coating was from copper oxidizing.

Bookaroo,

The book "Legendary and Geological History of Lost Desert Gold" came in yesterday. I blasted through it last night. Except for the geological stuff, most of the stories were just rehashes of the same stories that have been around about that region forever. It was very good though. Some of the stories I hadn't seen in a long time, so I have to say I enjoyed it, and I will be keeping it. Thanks for the reference.

Mike
    Well, at least we can agree about something. I had heard or read somewhere about some of the black nuggets testing about 70% gold. Is this one of the nuggets found near Ocotillo (I-8), not near Ocotillo Wells (Hwy 78)? I doubt it makes much difference. As you say most are below several feet of sand, and I suspect most are similar in composition.

JB

us

Jan 2006
    SoCal
    5085 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
    Well, at least we can agree about something. I had heard or read somewhere about some of the black nuggets testing about 70% gold. Is this one of the nuggets found near Ocotillo (I-8), not near Ocotillo Wells (Hwy 78)? I doubt it makes much difference. As you say most are below several feet of sand, and I suspect most are similar in composition.

JB

Yes. The nugget tested was one of those from down near I8.

Mike

Check out 1ORO1.COM

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11660 times
    Mike, those black nuggets are not specifically found in the SW deserts. Our lil mine at Piedras Verdes carries them on the surface. Oxidized copper, black. Nope, no gold underneath - so far. sniff
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA
    1630 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp View Post
    Mike, those black nuggets are not specifically found in the SW deserts. Our lil mine at Piedras Verdes carries them on the surface. Oxidized copper, black. Nope, no gold underneath - so far. sniff
    Don Jose, I seem to remember reading somewhere about some surface deposits of copper/silver (perhaps in the Planchas de Platas region?) that have black nuggets as well. I'm still looking for the reference. If I find it, I'll put it in this thread as well. By the way, although copper is not gold, it's not exactly worthless, either.

JB

us

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA
    1630 times
    Found it. Actually copper with small amounts of gold. This was originally posted by Infosponge in the "Sister Michela Molina Documents" thread.

From the book titled "Missionary in Sonora The Travel Reports of Josrph Och, S. J." 1755-1767, pages 150 & 151.

Name:	Och pg.150.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1195571

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11660 times
    Hi short finger, it is only a small claim in the middle of huge one. Someday they will run out of copper and will need it -- I hope

Usual story,we filed, then the big co immediately overfiled locking us in. Same with my Escondida..
    Oroblanco and Shortfinger like this.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us

Jan 2006
    SoCal
    5085 times
    Bookaroo,

I have to say that while on the surface, The Lame Captain looks like an amazing book, it falls short on the details. I don't mean falls short, as in, leaves them out. I mean it falls short on the details, as in, they are wrong.

At first, I couldn't believe all the family history and details of Smith's Life that were included. What they couldn't have known in 1965 was that Ancestry.com (and the internet) would come along one day, and we could see the names of ALL of Christopher Smith's Children, and Thomas Long Smith was NOT one of them. There MAY have been a relation (both were from the same area of Kentucky), but nothing is for certain, except that Thomas L Smith was not Christopher Smith's son. None of the family history in the book stands close scrutiny. Entertaining read though. Not sure if I will keep it or not. I don't need any more Treasure Hunting Fiction. HAHAHA

Mike

Check out 1ORO1.COM

us
    Mar 2004
    Severn, Maryland
    None
    2048 times
    Cache Hunting
    Gollum, the question I have is where did they come from? If they are just lying on top, where did they come from? Is there evidence of any volcanic pipes around? Is it like the Geodes in western NM? From volcanic blow out? Just curious about them being on top of a butte. I could understand better if they were at the bottom of a butte.
    Shortfinger and Oroblanco like this.

us

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA
    1630 times
    Quote Originally Posted by audigger53 View Post
    Gollum, the question I have is where did they come from? If they are just lying on top, where did they come from? Is there evidence of any volcanic pipes around? Is it like the Geodes in western NM? From volcanic blow out? Just curious about them being on top of a butte. I could understand better if they were at the bottom of a butte.
    Audigger, my guess is there was an ancient river, either similar to the "big blue lead" that was responsible for most of the placer gold found in the Sierras during the gold rush, or possibly even a continuation or branch of the big blue lead. This river deposited the gold in its bed, which ended up, through uplifts and subsequent erosion, exposed on the tops of the buttes. Any of it that was washed down from the butte, and any of the eroded areas between the buttes, ended up in the washes, usually very deep in sand.

Regards,

JB
    Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.

Jun 2015
    14 times
    where is this picture taken in what state and the name of the mountain the peg leg mine is true in is located in canada

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links