(Pics) mine w/ chestnut burr above..(New link to Video)

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Re: (Pics) mine w/ chestnut burr above

Chestnut burr rock What would a chestnut burr look like, people have many opinions on what this rock may look like...I have a chestnut tree in my backyard... The burrs that fall from this tree are round and pickily, which could be the kind of decription Swift would have given to this marker, he would name things the way they would apper to him. So the chestnut burr rock should be round and rough textured... In this picture, at where you go into the place where the mine is found, is this rock just above the opening... It looks like a chestnut burr to me........anyone have any other ideas? -Ki-

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

here is a picture of a chestnut burr......

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

You know, speaking of the chestnut burr rock, are we sure that there wasn't a chestnut tree that was growing over the edge, spilling burrs down onto the rocks? Just a thought. But I think it was a rock which looked like a chestnut. like your picture. Thank you BTW....usually no one will post a landmark picture. keep it up, you have a great find there!

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

swiftfan said:
You know, speaking of the chestnut burr rock, are we sure that there wasn't a chestnut tree that was growing over the edge, spilling burrs down onto the rocks? Just a thought. But I think it was a rock which looked like a chestnut. like your picture. Thank you BTW....usually no one will post a landmark picture. keep it up, you have a great find there!

Swiftfan you bring up a very good point, there very well could have been a chestnut tree above them, dropping burrs onto the rock and piling up directly above swift and crew....these burrs hurt to touch and can get very aggravating, they also pile up in great numbers, very well could have been why Swift mentions this rock in his journals.......I believe this marker to be a rock as well, funny theirs one above the cavern id found, also this marker is located on the ridge across from where i found the JS carving and turkey tracks....Funny no one has talked about the description of the chestnut burr until now, I felt confertable posting this landmark pic cause i don't give the markers location away in the picture...I wished more people would post a pic from time to time, like i have said before, you can take pictures of the subject with out giving away the subjects surroundings....

Inside the mine shaft going back i came to a place that has a hollow sound to it, its in the floor just before the place that was filled in with dirt...I have crawled over this time and time again, then one day exploering the mine i hit this spot with my knee and noticed the hollow sound, This has me wondering?? I plan to dig this spot once i can make it back to the place, and have some time to say for a couple hours to dig and document things for my research.....i will keep everyone informed -Ki-

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Swiftseacher
It was in the post above where i read the post where you mentioned those holes in the rockshelter....you wrote

"One last thing, there is the half moon rockhouse to the West of the Rich Mine, where Swift also melted ore (in fact, there are still holes in a huge rock there where Swift and Co. poured the Silver into to make pigs. Also, there is a Buffalo Rock over the hill or slope (as Swift stated), with the table top rock on the Cliff above it. West of the Rich Mine is also Needle's Eye Rock. And, last but not least, West of the mine are the sinking creeks and the Indian Bead Spring! I have found all of these and have pictures of them. The most intriguing part is they are EXACTLY where Swift stated they were in relation to the Rich Mine!"

I have heard them called "honey holes" but the correct name is "hominy hole" cause it was once thought that Indians grind-ed there corn in these holes, hence the name "hominy". In fact the Indians of that time period had no knowledge of corn, they used the holes to gring their seeds and nuts that they gathered..... The era of Indians that carved those holes were the Adena, and hopewell cultures. This was middle to late woodland period... I just wanted to let other people know that if they were out looking and ran up on the holes to consider the Indians before jumping to conclusions and think they found molds.... Not saying anything about your find, or even what kind of holes you've found...I'm just trying to save some rock shelters and possably some peoples time who would have "dugg" when they find hominy holes like that.......

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ki, I have read in several books, including Steely's, where people destroyed these holes. It is a shame people destroy this History. I came close to punching this one person for destroying a huge furnace near the mines years ago! He claimed he did it b/c he didn't want anyone finding it. Well, I found the remains and knew exactly what it was and it would have been so nice if all of it would have been intact, as it was HISTORY! This furnace was not in either of Swift's rockhouses in the area, but near the teakettle rock. I believe it was probably used by the Spanish and Indians working the Rich Mine before Swift. Again, too bad this IDIOT destroyed it, as we could tell more about it now and its origins! >:(

I have a few nice pics of the chestnut bur rock and the mine opening in the red sandstone between the second and third ledges of the clift I will post as soon as I am done there and at the vault site. Don't forget - there is also a "rock that seems to have fallen from another rock" very near, a tree that was in the way of the opening (which is dead now and I have pics of) and the haystack rock at the head of the next drain over, which is larger than the drain the Rich Mine is on. I will post all of these pics for everyone as soon as I am finished with the "vault"!

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

swiftsearcher said:
Ki, I have read in several books, including Steely's, where people destroyed these holes. It is a shame people destroy this History. I came close to punching this one person for destroying a huge furnace near the mines years ago! He claimed he did it b/c he didn't want anyone finding it. Well, I found the remains and knew exactly what it was and it would have been so nice if all of it would have been intact, as it was HISTORY! This furnace was not in either of Swift's rockhouses in the area, but near the teakettle rock. I believe it was probably used by the Spanish and Indians working the Rich Mine before Swift. Again, too bad this IDIOT destroyed it, as we could tell more about it now and its origins! >:(

I have a few nice pics of the chestnut bur rock and the mine opening in the red sandstone between the second and third ledges of the clift I will post as soon as I am done there and at the vault site. Don't forget - there is also a "rock that seems to have fallen from another rock" very near, a tree that was in the way of the opening (which is dead now and I have pics of) and the haystack rock at the head of the next drain over, which is larger than the drain the Rich Mine is on. I will post all of these pics for everyone as soon as I am finished with the "vault"!

SS, I agree its a shame some people just dont have the respect for the historic places and sites in the woods........ To be honest i would have been mad too about the guy tearing the furnace down, id say it had quite a story to tell.
Awesome, i cant wait to see them....i love seeing any pictures that has to do with the Swift legend... Good luck with the "vault" you'd found, Im hoping it everything you've expected, espeacialy with all the time, hard work, and research you have put into it.... I really do wish you the best....... -ki-

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The base of the furnace is still there, and it was HUGE! I have some pics of it somewhere.

Good luck on your quests as well Ki!

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

While it could be a point about the burr rock, Swift mentions other formations such as "the lighthouse". it was a rock described as resembling a lighthouse. That's what makes me think the chestnut burr rock would have looked like a chestnet burr. But I still wouldn't rule it out. Because what if that marker was mentioned that way to throw off "other parties"? Hmmm...just a thought. :wink:

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Seth,
what ever happened with your find back on the mountain?
Did you ever get to go down into that cave?

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

swiftfan said:
While it could be a point about the burr rock, Swift mentions other formations such as "the lighthouse". it was a rock described as resembling a lighthouse. That's what makes me think the chestnut burr rock would have looked like a chestnet burr. But I still wouldn't rule it out. Because what if that marker was mentioned that way to throw off "other parties"? Hmmm...just a thought. :wink:

I totally agree, i believe maybe Swift would have mentioned somethings to throw people off, that he would have only knew.........Also the "journals" and "maps" i believe some things were added and taken out in the many times it was copied. The good thing about this that the journals all match on certain points....

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

DMSDAK said:
Well I had three people interested in going down into it, however none of them ever made anything of it. So it still sits unexplored I do believe.

Seth

I have the same trouble here, id love to have someone join me out from time to time but can never find anyone who will join me out in the woods.....there are a few caves here I'd like to explore but will not go in them alone....Its always good to have someone with just in case something bad may occur....

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Thought id post a picture of some of the quartz like i have been finding around the site of this mine/cave....I have herd before from others that when you find quartz its a good sign, and can usually find Silver or Gold, or other metals nearby. I have been finding all sorts of quartz's, like geodes, some agate, and a small crystal clear like quartz....... What is very interesting is that the agate and geodes are washing out of the ground from a fracture in the earth very near this mine/cave, these fracture occur along some fault lines...and as some of us know that faults bring valuable metals to the surface where they can be found.........of coarse you have geologist that speculate and claim that the rock layers aren't supportive of metals in the rock found here in Ky, but how do they really know for sure when they only study certain areas and claim silver cannot be found here. People find iron, and lead all of the time in the ground around here, so who's to say that silver cant be found as well? I believe geologist and other national forest officials only claim that nothing can be found to keep the many treasure hunters, and Swift believers away from digging and destroying the many rock shelters, caves and other natural habitats keeping them safe.

Although their very well could be small veins of pure silver around the mountains of Kentucky, I believe mostly any silver that will be found will be found in Iron ore, and or lead deposits..... Swift describes another metal that was found as well that he thought was useful when smelting his Ore.

Attachments

• MINE hike 001.JPG
    MINE hike 001.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,102
OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

The scientific evidence seems to
preclude fabulous silver treasure being mined
in Kentucky. Geologists as well as park
naturalists, rangers, and other knowledgeable
officials I interviewed expressed skepticism of
the Swift bonanza. Mr. Warren H. Anderson
of the Kentucky Geological Survey responded
in writing to my query:

Silver occurs in a variety of geologic
environments, is generally associated with
certain minerals and is found throughout the
geologic time scale. From a geologic
standpoint it is possible for silver to occur in
sandstones in eastern Kentucky
, but this does
not mean that silver actually exists in economic
quantities. Some silver has been reported in the
western Kentucky fluorspar district (Hall and
Heyl, 1968, Economic Geology, V. 63, No. 6,
p. 655-70) as well as trace amounts in the
central Kentucky mineral district (Jolly and
Heyl, 1964, Kentucky Geological Survey,
Series X, Reprint 15). As these reports indicate
silver does occur in small amounts in
Kentucky.

Found this piece doing some research on the silver mines...............

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Found this mine in the fall of 2006, it was covered by the rocks laying in the front..... :wink:
KIWISPICS110.jpg

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ki,

I have found both gold and silver in KY but its so far been in small amounts and isolated pockets. However I recently found some old Indian silver mines that lead me to believe that four of them could have been connected deep enough...maybe that is what Swift found in his best mine?
There are two of them about 300 yards apart and then two more about 1/8 mile apart from those two. Sometimes the vein gets pinched in in its way up in one place and then goes in another direction(at least that's the way it happend out west at times).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:icon_thumleft: ;D Gotta go back to "mine opening" "pics" at beginning of this "thread"; NO ONE else saw the "face in the mist"... I see a face (eyes, nose, mustache); is it ELI? ;D :wink:

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

WoW i just now seen it.... the mist you are refering to is nothing more than the smoke from me smoking while resting and looking around. One thing the smoke showed me was there is a little air coming through the mine, not much but a little. Makes me wonder if there is another opening to this mine some place, or a vent.
PLans are being made, the end of the month my brother and I plan to camp and explore, also to digg at the spot of where i found a hollow sound. This may help to figure out just what it is ive stubbled onto...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:icon_thumleft: Ki, glad you see it now; smoking (smoke) will bring out "outlines" of spirits/ guardians. I use WHITE SAGE smudging to get "outlines" and "bless haunted" places; the FIRST picture MAY just the "darkness" beyond yer "flash"... HOWEVER! I have had a "black blob" rush me
once, no harm done... just a bit startling. Yer "dark" space looks MORE like a "liquidified humanoid"
shape "coming at you". :o I DO think, "ELI" may be "protecting his site", and you should only
"explore" the cave/tunnel, during the day. When you and yer brother camp out there... be VERY
careful; you will have an "interesting night". Take LOTS of "pics" and join us in the "paranormal sub-board", where "treasure-haunts" are discussed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions