Swift Mines and Research

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
I have been away for a long time and see that there is still interest in the legend. First lets deal with stories of treasure from four states, Western Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee. Since around 1632 there have been Spanish, French and English Explorers Searching in these four states for mineral wealth, of course the native American Indian tribes new of locations that held wealth in the ground and suffered severe cruelties because of this knowledge. Each state has a list of stories of hidden treasure and thats the problem. Over the years something is found, a piece of ore, a vein, bars and coins and the first thing that happens is, it must belong to swift and his Merry men and several stories become part of the Swift legend. As time passes the stories are changed or added to. So what is true. I worked for two long years, reading and rereading the legend of John Swift. Going to one location after another. Remember the stories you read in books are only a guide. Do the Research.
until one day i saw a topo map at the library. Ahhhhhh and i started to learn how to go about being smart.

The Swift Mines: I started by looking at all the stories on the subject and using a map of each state, pin pointed the areas of interest. I found that several stories were vary close to Indian trails or buffalo trails. One goes east and west, the crossing point is Fort Gay WVA. at the forks of sandy and goes toward Lexington KY. The other of interest runs along Route 23 from Johnson city Tenn. to a fork that heads west to Cumberland Gap. The north fork goes along Route 23 to Castlewoods VA. and on to the pound gap into KY. At the forks of sandy a branch of this buffalo trail goes southwest along the west fork of sandy to Paintsville KY. and then heads west. By the way, Route 460 was built on this buffalo trail. The old Route 23 from Paintsville to Pound Gap was part of an Indian or buffalo trail.
Maps: Shaded Relief Topo Maps and Aerial Photo Maps will save a lot of gas and shoe leather. For fine maps of all kinds for Kentucky go to this site (Kentucky Geography Network).
You will need to work with this site to get what you need.

Swifts Maps: There are four maps that do show locations of something of interest. But remember on all the maps i have seen there is nothing that says Swift or one of his party did the maps. The one map that shows up the most is the one that has been put into several treasure books. Showing a five pointed star and several crosses, this map is true except for two creeks that have been left off, is it Swifts, who knows? The other map shows lower devils creek. It to is correct except for the wording, so many miles from campton and lower devils creek, this was added to throw people off. By the way, the story about 27 iron kettles being found on lower devils is true. The people of Boone's Fort made salt by boiling salt water down in the iron kettles. (Research is the key) if i can be of any help in your search let me know. I have two book cases full of stuff about the four states. Boomer

swiftseeker2005

Greenie
Oct 26, 2005
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Tesoro Cibola
Greetings to all. I have been researching Swift silver mines (along with the Indian silver mines legends) in Kentucky for a number of years. I believe one of the mines to be in the Louisa area. I have seen some stories that attribute the naming of the Tug River to Swift. Supposedly, Swift lost some silver "pigs" that he had tied thru a "tug" as he was crossing the river. This leads me to my question, had anyone ever heard of any of these "pigs" being found anywhere in the Swift legend area? Does anyone have any idea as to what one of these silver "pigs" might look like (size, weight,etc)? How might crudely smelted/molded silver appear when dug from the ground? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all, and good hunting.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
First> On the best known map in most books with the arrow, is this swifts, don't know, but the map is real. Lets brake it down. The creek on the map with the arrow is correct, it does run north east and head south west. The star is on top of a ridge that has a knob on top of it, that is shaped like a star has five points. The lines just to the west of the star. There is a long cliff on another ridge that is layers of lime stone. On the map it shows a block with lines like a ladder and a crossed out area and two lines running through the X like a shaft. This ladder is a masonic symbol that has to do with Jacob's ladder. Each rung represents a type of metal, seven steps, since the four bottom rungs are crossed out, this leaves the three top steps, Iron, silver and gold. This tells me that the ore is in iron ore with silver and gold. On the bottom of the map the three wiggly lines is a water fall, the next is a sink about about 40 feet round 15 feet deep, comes to a point at the bottom. The X's on the map are locations of rocks that have carvings on them. One of the X's is the tea kettle rock also on tea kettle is carved names and another carving of Jacob's ladder. The 4 horse shoe shaped line with a dot at the bottom of each is four caves in line that run east and west. The arrow is carved on a flat rock and points to the first or west cave. boomer

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Silver pigs and tug fork>? Tug fork got its name when a group of settlers were chasing Indians that raided a homestead and took prisoners. The famous Indian fighter John Harmon was with this group. They did not have any food left and hunting was poor. They lost track of the Indians and headed back to the settlement. They were down to eating there shoes boiled in water from the river. It took a lot of tugging and chewing to get a piece down. Thats what the history books say anyway.
Pigs are metal bars, slabs and also wedge shaped. With pack horses, small bars or wedge shaped would be best. Silver bars and coins have been found at different locations in Kentucky, west of paintsville along paint creek at rules mill and at flat rock, middle fork of the Kentucky river. Jackson county along war fork of station camp creek, Buffalo creek and the little sandy river in carter county, Gold coins were found on the licking river at the Morgan county line on mill creek silver coins were found in wolf county, two gold bars were found? on the red river near clay city. As for size a bar or pig can be any size but were kept to a fixed limit because of the horse or mule you were going to transport the load on. Some have been found that were has small has 8"x2"x4" and has large has 18"x 3" x 4". also i feel that there would be smaller ones for carring in a back pack. boomer

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
hey i was reading your post from a long time ago.....i read about the silver found on mill creek in wolfe co. And the gold bars near clay city............could you give me any more info on this .... thanks

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is worthy of being brought back to the top of the list. Some very useful info about the old buffalo trails. With all the new roads that have been built in the last half of a century, it would almost take boots on the ground talking to locals to figure out how the original routes ran.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thanks for bumping this one to the top of the stack. I wonder where the trace goes back East of the Sandy. Some journals read as if they traveled along the Ohio river from Ft. Pitt. I can't swallow that, too much Indian hunting and villages along the Ohio. Is there a large pass thru the Blue Ridge I can't find?

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, thanks for bumping this one to the top of the stack. I wonder where the trace goes back East of the Sandy. Some journals read as if they traveled along the Ohio river from Ft. Pitt. I can't swallow that, too much Indian hunting and villages along the Ohio. Is there a large pass thru the Blue Ridge I can't find?

I figure there was a series of valleys and low gap/saddles in the ridges they used. Probably like 79 runs from Pitt to Charleston. Old Route 60 was built along a buffalo trail. Often they could cut days off a trip by using valleys a low gaps method of travel.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes When it was originally built. Not sure how much modification it went though before they built US 64 pretty much along the same route. I've seen a section of an old buffalo trail in Johnson Co. that was 2-3' deep where it was packed down from years of travel. It ran right along a water way.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
460 runs into Va. through Grundy and on into Claypool Hill think it runs with Rt. 19 north a ways and then not sure but think it goes toward the coast.

Castlewood Va. is probably a 3 day ride from Pikeville.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
460 runs into Va. through Grundy and on into Claypool Hill think it runs with Rt. 19 north a ways and then not sure but think it goes toward the coast.

Castlewood Va. is probably a 3 day ride from Pikeville.

I understand that Braddock's Road toward Ft Pitt is an obvious route from Alexandria to the West, but it doesn't make sense to follow the banks of the Ohio all the way toward the Big Sandy. I can't find another known route over/around the Blue Ridge and into the S. Valley. I guess you have to follow the rivers/streams to get through the mountains.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/blueshape.html
....interesting photo and name of this place...'in Swift Run Gap where US33 crosses the Blue Ridge'

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
We must remember Swift supposed trips was before there was any road developed 1759/1760 being the first and his travel would have been with some legend Start out with as few as 6 men . Think back to the article written by someone who knows. I don't think it mentioned a pack train even . Cause they worked on one of the furnaces and just prepared for a return trip.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand that Braddock's Road toward Ft Pitt is an obvious route from Alexandria to the West, but it doesn't make sense to follow the banks of the Ohio all the way toward the Big Sandy. I can't find another known route over/around the Blue Ridge and into the S. Valley. I guess you have to follow the rivers/streams to get through the mountains.

Travel though the Mtns. back then was a totally different animal to what most people think of. Remember Swift was a captain of a ship at one time he could navigate by the stars. That something to consider. Let me explain The valley and saddle method of travel . You ride up this valley till you find a saddle in the ridge that is in the general direction you want to go then you go into the saddle and into the next valley in the direction you want to go. Sometime they would travel a ridge from that saddle to get to the next valley. I can remember when there was places in E.Ky. you could travel by this method of travel on horse back faster than you could go to the same destination by motorized vehicle.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can give you a prime example I road an ATV to work for years. It was 2 1/2 mile from my house across the hill, It was 18 miles around the highway by truck/car. I could ride the ATV in 8-10 min. where it took me 25-30 min. at best to drive the road. This hasn't been but 25 years ago and if I was still working there I would still be riding my ATV.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the 4 week or so travel time to the mines, going NW by road to Ft .Pitt then SW by saddle gaps or by Ohio river bank certainly would change the distance they could travel in that time. They could get as far West as Salyersville from the forks of the Sandy if they went by way of Ft. Pitt.
It seems more certain to me that the Little Caney Indian Waybill area could have been their destination for that time frame. The area/region rgb1 is interested in sounds like it could be as well. Especially if that way was taken. The Red River region would be out of range possibly for that time frame and route.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
So true. Paint Creek was a Very Rocky creek with High cliffs on both side before it was made into a lake. When you are at the fork of The Sandy you're just 23 miles from the head waters of Paintsville lake. The way the crow flies. And 18 miles from the mines found at Grayson.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
In just re reading the article about Swift written by someone who knows, and being familiar with the area of far E. Ky. and given the time of year they were traveling to the mines. I can see where and why . First off let's consider the time of year of their first trips. April/May time frame. Wettest season of the year, rain swollen creeks look like larger rivers. They left Ft. Pitt. to the head water of the Wheeling, to the Little Kanawa, to the Big Kanawa to the Gyandotte ,to the Sandy. These rivers at April/May time of year would look like the Ohio River in summer time. Most any of the creeks East of a line from Prestonsburg, to Salyersville , to West Liberty and to Morehead would look like rivers as well, because of the amount of water that was in them. Longridge I figure was just that a long ridge they traveled there are plenty in the given area, not the Longridge in Ky. southwest of Cinn. today. Some of the journal say they split up at the forks of the Sandy some went west and some went S W to the mines. West would have taken them to the area where the mines at Grayson were found/that Mundy knew of. S W. would have put the others into the area of the head waters of Paintsville Lake. This is just a rambling that keeps running through my mind while reading through some of the journals. From long ridge there starts to be interjection put into the article. Because the article says to a river not known suppose to be bla, bla bla .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread