DEATH is has close as your next step?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
BOOBY TRAPS: I have been thinking about this subject for a while now. But with 2 new PCs going down and a bunch of printer problems i have been a little slow in bringing this up. At least i can show you now what lies out there. The photo below shows what could happen if you let your guard down. I have a map that was sent to me several years ago and over the years i have gone back to this location. On the last trip we were going up this small drain and it was a bad climb, the sides of the drain were at about 40 to 50%. rocks the size of small cars in the drain. Stopped to look at a carving and 2 others went on. Big mistake, when your hot, tired, never separate. We went on up and found the others, one was halfway up on the side of the hill and called for me to look at what he had found. He was laying down with his head and shoulders in this small opening digging away with a knife. He was about 2 strokes away from sending the whole hillside down on top of us.
In the photo someone had cut out a place to stand. remember this slope is about 50% at this point. The small opening is back filled with creek rock. ahhh something hidden there, dig, dig dig. notice the trigger rock set to move if rocks under are disturbed. the large rock is about 3 feet thick, 10 feet long and there are rocks placed behind it to help it on it's way. the trigger rock is placed in a small notch on the large rock. on the lower right corner of the trigger rock, it was also notched. Remember, over 250 years a lot of junk as fallen behind the large rock and there is a lot of stress on the trigger. Is there something there, is it a fake. On up the drain there are 2 other places that have never been disturbed and they are safe. The map is correct. about a 1/2 mile away is a cave with the date 1632 and a cross pointing to this drain. Be safe out there, look before you act. boomer

Attachments

• Dead Fall, think before you act.jpg
    Dead Fall, think before you act.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 861

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "trigger" rock is in a perfect heart shape.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 773
OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Thanks, i never saw that. getting this opened is a problem. from the cliff down to the creek, its all shell rock or limestone chips and vary steep. its best to go along the cliff and then ease down to the rock. if you start sliding, well, lets say your in the creek real quick. not sure how to open this, go in behind? then taking a chance of the trigger letting go or try to remove the trigger and see what happens? of course the guys who set this up had a way of gitting in there. i keep thinking they must have had another entrance.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
good topic

places there are no help for miles and maybe days

so you need to always know your surrounding and where your placing
your step.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
SWR, were you see the fresh light gray material at the lower end of the trigger rock is the way in. you have to lay flat and easy in under. in the back of the trigger rock its small rounded creek rock that fills the opening. the sealed section is about 3 feet wide and 2 feet high. how far back it goes, no idea. so the trigger has to be moved.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
boomer said:
SWR, were you see the fresh light gray material at the lower end of the trigger rock is the way in. you have to lay flat and easy in under. in the back of the trigger rock its small rounded creek rock that fills the opening. the sealed section is about 3 feet wide and 2 feet high. how far back it goes, no idea. so the trigger has to be moved.
Those round creek rocks are rollers for the big rock . Personally I would , with the help of remote ropes and levers , trigger this trap to protect those who follow behind . They might be my own kids .
Once it's disabled you can figure out if there is something behind it or not .
Either way you have left the world a safer place .
Jim

2Shoes

Dec 16, 2008
Wise
boomer said:

Why would that be the way in? The gray material would have been freshly dug or it would have been covered with leaf litter, washed away. I'm not seeing a trap in this picture. Maybe a better pic would do. I just dont see a booby trap in this pic. The "heart shape rock" would have to have the top of it higher up on the rock to hold it back if the rock was in anyway close to falling. The lower end of the rock would have to be lower in the ground. If you question it. Tie a rope around it back up and jerk it out. If the heart shaped rock is the killer just prop it up. I can't tell much about this pic.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen As far as I can see from the posted pictures, that heart rock has simply broken off of the mother rock, higher and to the left.

When iit fell, or was broken off, it fell upon the river rocks. Conclusions on my part are that it isn't a death trap.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm......I would have to see this in person before drawing a conclusion concerning life or death possibilities.

GG~

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Well it fell and it took its time about 30 min. with tons of loose rock building up behind it over the years, you would think it would be down in the creek right now. went slower than we figured. Odd, there was hardly any sound, it was more like wind passing thru trees. But now comes the hard part, Digging. we were lucky, relocating the sealed area was easy. but a word of warning, loose slate will have you down in the creek in no time. i will post photo's of this location soon.

2Shoes

Dec 16, 2008
Wise
boomer said:
Well it fell and it took its time about 30 min. with tons of loose rock building up behind it over the years, you would think it would be down in the creek right now. went slower than we figured. Odd, there was hardly any sound, it was more like wind passing thru trees. But now comes the hard part, Digging. we were lucky, relocating the sealed area was easy. but a word of warning, loose slate will have you down in the creek in no time. i will post photo's of this location soon.

OK Tons of loose rock falling made hardly any noise? But had enough energy stored to cause a wind to pass through trees? If it made a current of air enough to russle the leaves. I cant imagine the rocks sliding not making much noise. Ive heard rocks slide. Slowly and violently. I could here em all. Doesn't make sense.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
2Shoes said:
boomer said:

OK Tons of loose rock falling made hardly any noise? But had enough energy stored to cause a wind to pass through trees? If it made a current of air enough to russle the leaves. I cant imagine the rocks sliding not making much noise. Ive heard rocks slide. Slowly and violently. I could here em all. Doesn't make sense.
I've seen it happen underground . Can imagine it happening on the surface . Underground the
air blast down headings can remove the hardhat from your head and you never heard it coming .

2Shoes

Dec 16, 2008
Wise
That air is channeled. Even if you were'nt close enough to hear the rock fall underground the air could still be channeled towards you. I live beside a highwall and I can hear the smallest rocks slides on it. One not a big chunk broke off. I thought I was gone it was so loud.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
2Shoes said:
That air is channeled. Even if you were'nt close enough to hear the rock fall underground the air could still be channeled towards you. I live beside a highwall and I can hear the smallest rocks slides on it. One not a big chunk broke off. I thought I was gone it was so loud.
Different deal beside a highwall or clean cliffside as opposed to a debris cluttered slope with 1
trigger whether manmade or natural .

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an opinion here...Boomer has more experience at his than most of us combined. He is trying to make us all aware of the fact that there are traps out there. In fact if you look under a post I did a few days ago you can make out a very specific one..while in the mine you naturally want to move that 200 pound rock off of the post its setting on(right in back of me in the pic)...just so happened i though what if i do? well there is a rock the size of a volkswagen chocked there ready to come down. i am sure the removal of the rock on the post triggers the fall of 5 tons on you. I think boomer might know where this one is too its on Caney.

As far as the sound remember these rocks have had a lot of time to decompose which makes them chalky and they have also had time to have moss grow on them. Both add to the cusion effect and little noise is made in there "sliding" not "falling" down the slope.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread