Carter/Lewis County KY. Silver

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
There are a lot of stories about silver in Carter County and along the border with Lewis County, This is one more.

I have seen two of those dollars and they are home made, vary crude. Where did he smelt them or did he find a stash of coins and could there be more buried near his cabin, if the silver was pure and he melted out of rock? HMMM. There is an old story about wire silver being found about 20 miles south west of greenup KY. Anyway here is the story.

Attachments

• SPRINKLE DOLLARS.jpg
    SPRINKLE DOLLARS.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,238

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprinkle got the silver from somewhere nearby...were these the upper mines? ...were the mines around the Red River the middle mines? ...if so, where might we find the lower mines? Could what rgb1 is onto be those lower mines? I am beginning to wonder if the silver has been run out of all of these mines back when E.KY was still very hard to get into from the outside. Being remote even into the early 20th century, much could be done besides making shine for money.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if the same thing happened today what the outcome would be !!! Wouldn't it be something to go buy a new truck/car and offer to pay for it with home made silver dollars.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make 1 ounce ingots and sell them for cash. Too much trouble trying to make coin. More than half the Kennedy half dollars circulated never made it back to the mint and are still squirreled away by people, including whoever inherited Bunker Hunt's wealth. His story is an interesting read.

My dad knew him, they went to school together and he owned a place somewhere near Lexington. He would invite my mom and dad to his place for the Spring thoroughbred auctions and they would stay there for the weekend. The guy would buy several horses at each auction with each horse costing in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/cult...t-brothers-scheme-to-corner-the-silver-market

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread